Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Cosign every single word. The only thing about Mikel that hasn't tremendously improved is his reputation.

Most opposition fans (who probably watch him like twice a year) still fail to recognize the numerous qualities he has and are quick to say he's limited and his game mediocre. That is probably the biggest Chelsea related lie after Cech never being the same since his injury.

That's a perfect way of putting it IMO! Perfect example of people who know nothing about football!

Selling Mikel is madness IMO. I mean, he can be prone to the odd mistake, or an early booking, but by god does he do a job well, particularly in defensive midfield. I've always seen Mikel as the closest we have to a Makelele-esque player.

Edited by CJ Revo

• 1 month later...

Having made his debut against Liverpool in the Community Shield, Mikel impressed on his first start for Chelsea on 27 September 2006, in the UEFA Champions League against Levski Sofia. However, the Nigerian's early career was characterised by indiscipline both on and off the pitch. He was sent off in a match against Reading on 14 October 2006, and was fined on three separate occasions by Chelsea for turning up late to training. At the time, Chelsea manager José Mourinho was believed to have strong reservations about his lifestyle outside of Stamford Bridge and the club were reportedly considering offloading the player. Mikel was dropped for over a month.

After improved punctuality and showings at training sessions, Mikel earned a recall for Chelsea's Champions League group away game against Werder Bremen on 22 November 2006, with Chelsea qualifying for the knock-out stage despite a defeat in Germany. Mikel scored his first goal for Chelsea in their 6-1 FA Cup victory over Macclesfield Town on 6 January 2007. He also scored against Nottingham Forest in the following round of the competition. During Chelsea's triumph in the League Cup Final in 2007 against Arsenal, Mikel was sent off in injury time (having come on as a substitute) after clashing with Kolo Touré, the incident was followed by a huge fracas, in which Touré and Emmanuel Adebayor of Arsenal were sent off, Cesc Fàbregas and Frank Lampard were booked, with managers José Mourinho and Arsené Wenger also involved.

In subsequent games, Mourinho deployed Mikel as a starter in a holding role in key games where he impressed greatly, notably in the FA Cup Sixth Round replay against Tottenham Hotspur, the Champions League quarter-final games versus Valencia, the Champions League semi-final games versus Liverpool and also the victorious FA Cup Final against Manchester United. Mikel's height and great strength, allied to good ball control and an unusually wide range of passing, allows him not only to disrupt opposing attacks, but also to spread the play effectively. With Claude Makélélé coming towards the end of his career, Mikel was widely tipped to be his successor in defensive midfield.

Mikel's development continued with 39 appearances in all competitions during the 2007-08 season, but was sent-off for the third time in his career in September 2007, when Mike Dean dismissed him for a tackle on Manchester United defender Patrice Evra. Chelsea appealed against the red card but the three-match suspension was upheld. He was also sent off in the Semi-Final of the League Cup against Everton, for a challenge on Phil Neville.

Following the departure of Claude Makélélé in the summer of 2008, Mikel was presented with the opportunity to make the defensive midfield position his own during the 2008-09 season. His main rival for the role, Michael Essien, could play elsewhere, and was injured for much of the season. Mikel impressed during his extended run in the side, earning praise from manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, a free kick from which Salomon Kalou equalised against Manchester United an example of the Nigerian's contribution to the side beyond breaking up attacks and providing protection to the defence. [12] Mikel made 49 appearances in all competitions over the course of the season, and played every minute of the 2009 FA Cup Final. Mikel was nominated for the club player and young player of the season, and on 22 July 2009 he signed a new five-year contract with Chelsea.

During another season in which Michael Essien was largely absent due to injury, Mikel continued to play an important role in defensive midfield during the 2009-10 season under new manager Carlo Ancelotti. He made 35 appearances in all competitions, helping Chelsea to the League and FA Cup Double, which included the first Premier League winners' medal of the young midfielder's career. The 2010-11 season was much less successful for the Blues; a promising start undermined by a mid-season collapse as Chelsea finished the season without a trophy. Mikel continued to appear regularly in the defensive midfield role, making 37 appearances to pass the 200-appearance mark by the end of his fifth season at the club.

Click here to view the record

Carlo has to realise by now how vital Mikel is to the squad balance! Him and Essien actually linked up very well and as does he & Ramires.

Mikel should have a permanent roll in the squad now. Essien & Ramires must do battle for their positions!

• 1 month later...
I had a good start to the season until about January. Then when the club had a bad run, it affected everybody. Everything went downhill.

I was playing in every game, Champions League and Premier League, but suddenly we had this bad run which went on for about a month or two. I had a knee injury in the middle of it as well and was out for four or five weeks.

When I came back, I wasn't playing regularly - just a few games. It was frustrating for me. When I'm not playing, the manager has a reason why he's not picking me. Everyone saw how disappointed I was when I was not being picked in the team.

It's very difficult as a young player but I've learned to deal with it. Every season you are going to have a period when things are not going well for you and other times when things are going well. You have to try and manage both.

I just try to stay professional, train and forget about it. I play when I get the opportunity.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6995377,00.html

• 4 weeks later...
John Obi Mikel's brother and Rangers of Enugu keeper, Ebere Obi said that his sibling will not leave Chelsea contrary to seculations that he would be sold to make way for new signings.

Ebere disclosed that new Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas has listed Mikel in his plans for the new season.

"I spoke with Mikel last week about the speculations going on as regards his stay at Chelsea. He told he is still staying put in Chelsea and that he is not going anywhere. So, I don't know where these speculations are coming from," he revealed.

"If my brother will leave Chelsea today I will know and I am telling you now that Mikel is not going anywhere. The new coach has listed him on the Chelsea squad for the coming season."

Source: Vanguard

Published: 10th July

Edited by LDN Blue

• 3 weeks later...

Mikel exit talks.<h4 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "></h4>

Chelsea midfielder John obi Mikel could be on his way out of Stamford Bridge, according to reports from the Transfer Tavern. The Nigeran who was signed back in 2006 has often found himself on the bench serving as deputy to Michael Essien.

Having picked up an impressive 158 appearances for the Blues, Mikel was being touted as a promising player with a bright future. However, his failure to register a Premier League goal for the club along with his defensive lapses of concentration on the field has left many to question his all-around contributions.

Rumours state that Chelsea are now prepapred to listen to a bid from Juventus for the 24-year old. The Blues are expected to offload Mikel if their evaluation of

£15m is met

LINK

bollocks... his brother talked about all being rubbish because mikel loves it at chelsea as he has stated so oft in the past...

and even if you look at transfermarkt.de hes worth 20 mio that means he's worth around 30 Mio right now... 15 mio would be a joke...

bollocks... his brother talked about all being rubbish because mikel loves it at chelsea as he has stated so oft in the past...

and even if you look at transfermarkt.de hes worth 20 mio that means he's worth around 30 Mio right now... 15 mio would be a joke...

30 million for mikel, even in todays ridiculously overpriced market thats laughable

30 million for mikel, even in todays ridiculously overpriced market thats laughable

loooooooool you sure? lets have a look Pastore marketvalue, remind you, we're reported to have a bid placed around 40 Mio +:

mwpastore11.jpg

now the so underrated John Obi Mikel, who is regretted much better by footballfans in the whole rest of the world:

mwmikel11.jpg

loooooooool you sure? lets have a look Pastore marketvalue, remind you, we're reported to have a bid placed around 40 Mio +:

mwpastore11.jpg

now the so underrated John Obi Mikel, who is regretted much better by footballfans in the whole rest of the world:

mwmikel11.jpg

oh no you have put me in my place now with your chart :) he aint worth 30 mill