Mikel John Obi

Badboy

He's worth as much as what someone is willing to pay him and offer for him. Right now, that is less than his current valuation (current wages/status).

Agree with someone who wrote that the top clubs won't come for him, which means he will prob retire at chelsea - the smaller sides will have trouble matching his wages. Esp considering he's a DM after all.

I'd not be as displeased by relying on a poor player like Mikel if we had a large squad with a lot of options, because right now I know that whenever mikel plays, there are certainly things that will NOT happen: forget about goals and assists, he cannot even hit long balls which is pretty sad for a DM.

How can we give a chance to youngsters when we have 28yo backup players who offer as little as mikel does?

If we replace Mikel it has to be with another expierence player, letting a player who for all his flaws has played and shone in numerous big game's and cup finals for an youngster who has barely played any first team football ever is footballing suicide.

Furthermore I can hardly see him retiring at Chelsea, chances are he won't get a new deal when it runs out

If we replace Mikel it has to be with another expierence player, letting a player who for all his flaws has played and shone in numerous big game's and cup finals for an youngster who has barely played any first team football ever is footballing suicide.

Furthermore I can hardly see him retiring at Chelsea, chances are he won't get a new deal when it runs out

fair enough on the 'retiring' part, but we can call it 'retiring from the elite' then.

Matter of opinion and we go back to the "making no mistakes" vs "lacking ability" discussion. Same with Cahill who makes few mistakes, but lacks in a number of areas (pace and technique). I see Mikel similarly, as a player who makes few mistakes, but his lack of quality is a mistake in itself. It's a bad comparison since Cahill is far more adequate than Mikel.

Besides, back to my point, I want a better player than Mikel - being more expensive is really irrelevant to me (so is age). Give the squad a couple more options and the best plays! Whoever wants a spot has to show in training.

I know what Jose says about Mikel, but I believe more in how Jose used (or not used) Mikel - not much and not often. Overplayed Matic was also one of the players whose form suffered by the end of the season. So, Mikel is not a fit replacement for Matic, at least not in Jose's mind - well go get one then!

he cannot even hit long balls which is pretty sad for a DM.

That's just out right false. Him and Matic are very similar in that area. A few quick stats from Squawka to prove that: Mikel plays a successful long ball every 34 minutes with a 58.3% accuracy while Matic plays a successful long ball every 26.5 minutes with a 64.5% accuracy.

i just dont understand why he gets so much stick.

I don't understand someone who watches football and can't compare a player like Mikel to top centre mids from clubs of the past and present, all over Europe. Doesn't stack up, period --unless you want the player who rarely creates any impetus on transition and overall possession.

I don't understand someone who watches football and can't compare a player like Mikel to top centre mids from clubs of the past and present, all over Europe. Doesn't stack up, period --unless you want the player who rarely creates any impetus on transition and overall possession.

no one is saying he is a "top center mid". no one is exaggerating his role. he is a good 2nd DM, 4th CM and has a good role in the squad. he has his strengths like slowing the game down, being defensively good and providing safety to the back 4.

and hence, i dont understand the hate.

That's just out right false. Him and Matic are very similar in that area. A few quick stats from Squawka to prove that: Mikel plays a successful long ball every 34 minutes with a 58.3% accuracy while Matic plays a successful long ball every 26.5 minutes with a 64.5% accuracy.

Well we clearly have a very different view of what a successful long ball is, but I will just point out the obvious that such stats lack qualification.

I believe my very own eyes, thank you.

Btw did you just compare Mikel to Matic?! As far as I am concerned Matic is the superior player in every aspect of the game. And there lies the problem.

You know why he is so frustrating. IMO he had the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the world. He has the physical and technique attributes but lacked the mentality. Apparently he was one of the most promising attacking young players before ManU and our club clashed heads to sign him. Maybe Jose tried too hard to turn him into the new 'Makelele' and stalled his growth.

no one is saying he is a "top center mid". no one is exaggerating his role. he is a good 2nd DM, 4th CM and has a good role in the squad. he has his strengths like slowing the game down, being defensively good and providing safety to the back 4.

and hence, i dont understand the hate.

we've seen his ceiling and it's time to move on. a lot of us hate him because he embodies some really crap football not worth watching. might as well hear the score 5 hours later and roll my eyes if Chelsea midfield is being run by Mikel.

People refuse to believe that Jose rates Mikel and that he's actually useful to the team in certain situations.

keeping the ball and defending a lead? I think it's about as likely to backfire on Chelsea as succeed with the speed of the game and pressing of quality sides. Mikel is targeted because smart opposition knows Mikel's like the boxer with the predictable footwork.

People refuse to believe that Jose rates Mikel and that he's actually useful to the team in certain situations.

It's a really tough one for those who both passionately love Mourinho and despise Mikel. The cognitive dissonance is at an all-time high right now.