Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Full quotes...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12230304/timo-werner-exclusive-goal-drought-period-at-Chelsea-was-worst-of-my-career-but-old-timo-is-coming-back

On the goal drought...

"The smile wasn't on my face all the time. You have to keep smiling, that's the most important thing because when you are not happy and you don't enjoy football, and you are always angry or mad, you can't go back to moments where you can play good football.

"That's my thing and how I want to train. The other things are: always be positive and not mad, and that's the next step to being back to the old Timo. Behind the smile, of course there were a lot of days without goals and also sometimes losing. It's not the best feeling but smiling on the outside is the best way to keep going.

"The period where I didn't score was the worst time of my career because I'd never missed so many big chances. I'd never been so long without a goal, so I was very happy it ended two games ago. It was a difficult time without those feelings.

"When I look back at my half a year with Chelsea, it wasn't the most difficult time in my career, but the best time to learn new things. When you have a period without goals you learn something from yourself. You learn a lot about how you can handle these situations and it was the best time for me to learn the most in my career. From bad moments you learn the most and that's exactly what happened in the last month."

"In the past, I've had a lot of difficult situations in my career. Also, at Leipzig where I scored all the time. These situations were with myself because I learnt I had to make more for the team than I did before. I had to do extra work in terms of defensive work and make more assists for my team-mates rather than just rely on goals.

"That way, I learnt not to be the goalscorer who just counts his goals but the man who worked for the team. I learnt I had to be patient and be the best Timo for the team and not the best Timo for myself.

On missing chances...

"When you come here to play as a striker and be the man to score the goals, of course I felt a little bit guilty that I missed so many chances. For the club, for the old manager but also for me because I want to score all the time and as much as I possibly can.

"Of course, if I'd scored four or five more goals maybe the old manager would still be here because we'd maybe have won two or three games more but you can't look too much into the past because there are too many games ahead of us.

"The past was like this and of course I feel a little bit guilty, but in football you have to go on, and now we have a lot of big games in the next few weeks and you have to look forward, especially when you have a new manager. It's a new beginning for everybody, for me as well because I'd missed so many chances and so many points, maybe I start now with a new start, and it's worked very well until now.

"I understood the old manager very well. It was not because of the language, but when you can talk German to someone, there are things he can explain to me easier than the old manager could. It's different when you talk to someone in your own language because one word is enough to make a sentence completely different.

"For me, that was the thing he changed. He knows me and his assistants know me from the Bundesliga. He gave me trust back and confidence back to be the Timo from the Bundesliga, to be back at the top and scoring goals."

On the Premier League...

"Everyone says there's a lot of strength, a lot of big guys in defence, the Premier League is very fast and there's a lot of high intensity. So, I came here and thought it would fit me very well, but now I know it is much more than just what people say.

"There's a lot more work in the Premier League. You have to a lot more defensive work as a team than, for example, in the Bundesliga. What I get now is that the Premier League is really hard. Every game, whether you play against the bottom side or the third side, it's always the same game.

"You can't go to the bottom side and say it's going to be an easy win today. You go to Burnley, you go to West Brom and it's a hard game. It's a very hard game and that's what makes it a lot of fun. You can never have a break. You always have to be at 100 per cent, always at the top level and that's something special in the Premier League."

We don't score goals in Premier league, so easily than in Bundesliga. It's a learning within everyone can't suceed, look what happen to Haller.

4 minutes ago, MONEYBALL said:

We don't score goals in Premier league, so easily than in Bundesliga. It's a learning within everyone can't suceed, look what happen to Haller.

But is Haller a top striker in general though? He did score 15 goals in the Bundesliga in 2018/19 but apart from that, the only times he's scored more than 10 league goals in a season were in the Eredivisie. 

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

I do not like these league comparations.

Pulisic scored 9 PL goals last season and he missed half games.

In Bundesliga he never scored more than 4.

It is more individual. 

Those comparisons come naturally when you see a lot of players who were kings in their original leagues, having a tough time and finally never suceed in PL

13 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I do not like leagues comparation.

Pulisic scored 9 PL goals last season and he missed half games.

In Bundesliga he never scored more than 4.

It is more individual. 

Yeah but was that a one off or not? Because he has only 1 goal this season and rarely looked like scoring compared to last season. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

But is Haller a top striker in general though? He did score 15 goals in the Bundesliga in 2018/19 but apart from that, the only times he's scored more than 10 league goals in a season were in the Eredivisie. 

15 goals for such a poor player ! That's exactly what i mean, most of time, if you want to find the real level for a striker from Bundesliga, you reduce by 2 his best total 

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Please tell me this is fake. 

His goal is 10 PL goals??? That would be good first season?

Even Morata was never happy with 11 goals...

Does he believe in himself? Ok forget everything that already happened and 5 goals in 25 games but now in the next 13 games he thinks 5 more would be great?

Strikers want to score every game. What kind of mindset is this?

Totally agree.

10 PL goals for 52m is not acceptable. 

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Does he believe in himself? Ok forget everything that already happened and 5 goals in 25 games but now in the next 13 games he thinks 5 more would be great?

Totally agree.

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Totally agree.

Read the whole interview for context...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12230304/timo-werner-exclusive-goal-drought-period-at-Chelsea-was-worst-of-my-career-but-old-timo-is-coming-back

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

shouldn't be too harsh on his exact words here. it is not his native language and for sure he did not mean exactly 10 goals but into double figures so 10+ which is reasonable.

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

shouldn't be too harsh on his exact words here. it is not his native language and for sure he did not mean exactly 10 goals but into double figures so 10+ which is reasonable.

I don't know if anyone here even bothered to read/watch his full interview to get the context.

He basically meant after all the ups and downs this season, if he can get to 10 league goals now, he would be happy with the return especially in his first season. Otherwise in a normal season and/or future seasons, I can't imagine he would be happy with it given he regularly got into double figures every at Leipzig, regardless of whether it's the Bundesliga or not.

I think he should have started today. His pace would have troubled Maguire for sure, especially because we did not play as offensive as we used to, so he can focus more on making runs for counter attack. Giroud did not make any sense today. Giroud should only play if we want to play possession based football. Apart from that, play Tammy and/or Werner. Their pace is useful in these kind of games 

Edited by killer1257

9 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I think he should have started today. His pace would have troubled Maguire for sure, especially because we did not play as offensive as we used to, so he can focus more on making runs for counter attack. Giroud did not make any sense today. Giroud should only play if we want to play possession based football. Apart from that, play Tammy and/or Werner. Their pace is useful in these kind of games 

See my reply to you in the Ziyech thread. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Lets be honest, even with that context, it is still not great and with what, 12 games left, surely someone of his calibre should easily be looking to score more than 4 or 5 goals considering we have to play teams like Leeds, West Brom, Palace, Brighton, Fulham and Villa in those games who are much much more inferior than we are. 

Also, if he reaches say 10 goals, lets look at it now, inferior players such as Callum Wilson and Ollie Watkins have 10 PL goals already. Patrick Bamford has 13 PL goals already. He is tied for PL goals with players like David McGoldrick and Bobby De Cordova-Reid... its not great company if your a 25m signing yet alone a 52m one. 

I suppose we should be more worried if he doesn’t get over 10 although he would be close/over 10 if he didn’t miss those big chances but with 12 PL games left, he seriously has to start scoring regularly or hes probably not even going to get to 10. I mean he scored 4 PL goals under Frank in half a season, going from November to what February without a goal and 1 in the PL with Tuchel, who has been in charge for 6 PL games. Its not exactly a guarantee so heres hoping he gets to 10 at least. Although he will still be heavily criticised and rightfully so based on the 4 or 5 big sitters hes missed and to do with the majority of his performances and price tag.   

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lets be honest, even with that context, it is still not great and with what, 12 games left, surely someone of his calibre should easily be looking to score more than 4 or 5 goals considering we have to play teams like Leeds, West Brom, Palace, Brighton, Fulham and Villa in those games who are much much more inferior than we are. 

Of course his total now is bloody disappointing or if one were to just look at the overall come end of the season but the point here is the context of that interview. And we also don't know if he's going to play every remaining league game either, especially if we go deep in the Champions League and FA Cup.

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Also, if he reaches say 10 goals, lets look at it now, inferior players such as Callum Wilson and Ollie Watkins have 10 PL goals already. Patrick Bamford has 13 PL goals already. He is tied for PL goals with players like David McGoldrick and Bobby De Cordova-Reid... its not great company if your a 25m signing yet alone a 52m one. 

I feel like I should point something out regarding that but I best not speak...