Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

11. Timo Werner

Jase
Followers 7

For now, in my opinion, the last 2 games and performances have got him his place back in the side and let's see if it can be built on.

If he goes and scores a few goals between now and the end of the season I think it does pose questions, especially when Pulisic and Ziyech are equally as inconsistent and streaky with their performances. 

Lukaku over all though definitely has to be addressed first in the summer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really taking the piss now 

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24. That said, it comes with the territory. He's

A bit of class by RB Leipzig by posting the 'one step beyond' and now saying "Look after him for us, we will be rooting for Frank's young guns next season" Classy as fuck

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

For now, in my opinion, the last 2 games and performances have got him his place back in the side and let's see if it can be built on.

If he goes and scores a few goals between now and the end of the season I think it does pose questions, especially when Pulisic and Ziyech are equally as inconsistent and streaky with their performances. 

Lukaku over all though definitely has to be addressed first in the summer. 

Between Ziyech, Pulisic, and Werner, we've seen flashes from all of them. None of them are consistent enough.

One week we praise one and eventually mention they should leave next window.

I think they all have flaws and still need to improve.

Ziyech is magic at times on his left foot. He's the best passer when given space and he can curl them in at any moment. To me his main problems are he's too sloppy in possession and can't take players one on one as much as we need him to. Some of the better comparable players like Mahrez, Raphina both drive into their opponents and put more pressure on defenders. He's also 29 so not sure how much better he can improve. 

Pulisic is probably technically the best one out of all three. He can be shifty and take on players when he's playing with confidence. Uses both feet well. His downfall is his strength and inability to hold up the ball at times. He gets pushed over and when there's a defender draped on him, he'll most likely fall and miss the shot or pass. Finishing needs a lot of work. He's the youngest out of the bunch and if he can somehow stay healthy and get stronger he can still help the club. 

Werner is the best fit for Tuchel's current system. The way he presses and his work rate is terrific. He does a lot of the dirty work so other players are more free to succeed. Technically I don't think he's good enough to be elite but can still help from time to time. His movements are stiff and when he faces opposition who pressure him he tends to disappear too much. 

I would do my best to sell Lukaku and one of the three if possible. If I had to pick it would be Ziyech because of his age. We still need an impact player who can take defenders 1 on 1. I also think each one of these players would do better if our midfield was stronger. Only Kovacic is someone who can advance the ball from time to time but his end product isn't very good. Kante isn't as sharp as he once was so turns it over far too often and Jorgi when being pressed is not good enough. 

On 14/04/2022 at 19:41, Tomo said:

Werner even when he's poor can offer some use stylistically. His pace and movement alone offers an extra dimension to the attack.

Lukaku is offering literally nothing, even in the one aspect even I thought he'd offer (finishing).

Still, not entirely convinced its worth persevering with someone who only seems to play alright 2/3 games every so long and ultimately has underwhelmed throughout his spell here.

If we can get someone who can offer similar attributes and provide quality on a consistent basis then Werner is basically all but done here. Okay finding that is perhaps less straightforward than it sounds but even a different profile of player who can offer quality consistently. Depending on the likes of Ziyech, Timo and even Pulisic is very tough to do over the course of a season and you can’t build chemistry in a team by chopping and changing your attack due to poor/unconvincing performances every week. 

I don’t think he will survive here past the summer, or that he deserves the opportunity to either. Lukaku will be gone also. I am confident of this.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still, not entirely convinced its worth persevering with someone who only seems to play alright 2/3 games every so long and ultimately has underwhelmed throughout his spell here.

If there's a genuine upgrade that suits the system then sure, but i don't want us to (like we did last summer) just look at the top line and be like "that's an upgrade" without thinking about how they will fit the set up.

• 2 weeks later...

He is certainly no player to rely on. He might have been better than usual the last few games, but he simply isn´t good enough. He might stay as a squad player, a quite expensive one at that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Beigl said:

He is certainly no player to rely on. He might have been better than usual the last few games, but he simply isn´t good enough. He might stay as a squad player, a quite expensive one at that.

Think with Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner - the decision depends on who has got bidders.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Strike said:

Think with Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner - the decision depends on who has got bidders.

I think Pulisic is actually the most likely to stay. Ziyech might go to Italy, whereas Werner certainly has bids from Germany.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Shame that his star has fallen so low after the last two years.

If he was still in his peak form from his Red Bull days, we wouldn't have been talking about Lukaku or about signing another attacker.

Edited by Blue Armour