Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Not worried at all, what he has brought to this team is something really special. His ability to run with the ball IE Newcastle for Tammy's goal and also his ability to play wide or through the middle.

He will only get better, that I promise.

Misses like Timo makes happen all the time to players like him. What people need to consider is how many chances he creates for himself and others rather than the misses. So far he has something like 7 goals and 4 assits, that is about an average Willian season. 

For me, as long as he continues to score and assist at the rate he is going I am fine with the big misses. Sure, he can maybe improve it but as the stats for Mane/Vardy/Salah show, players as good as them still have big misses. Only player in the world at the moment that isn't doing this is Håland but he is a freak. Messi and CR7 are/were other examples of creating so much but being more clinical. However, I never thought Werner was this level as I do not play FIFA and think that is how football works in real life. 

First of all SFL is right. The chance Timo missed yesterday was not as easy as it looked.

For me the hits and misses of Timo's game add up to a big net positive. I contrast that with Sam Kerr who joined CFCW with the reputation as the best goal scorer in the women's game and, like Timo, has missed good chances. The contrast is that other than that she has not yet shown herself to be a difference maker whereas Timo has.

55 minutes ago, King Kante said:

For me, as long as he continues to score and assist at the rate he is going I am fine with the big misses. Sure, he can maybe improve it but as the stats for Mane/Vardy/Salah show, players as good as them still have big misses. Only player in the world at the moment that isn't doing this is Håland but he is a freak.

Haaland is probably indeed a freak but even he has missed 3 big chances in the Bundesliga this season and he's played about 2 games less than Werner. His xG is higher though and he's outperforming that too.

Haaland in 2020/21 Bundesliga:
Minutes - 561
Goals - 10
xG - 6.41
Big Chances Missed - 3

Even another freak in Lewandowski has missed 6 big chances this season in the Bundesliga - 3rd highest in their league. 

I'm more worried of Pulisic's glass made body than Werner's finishing. This guy is a proper striker with a proper mentality, will miss some, will score lots, he is not Martial who United fans rate him as one of world's finest when the truth is he is in his what? Fifth, sixth season in England and has done fuck all to prove he is even on par with Jamie Vardy, nevermind Europe's best strikers.

Pulisic though... this is one situation the club and the player himself must sort out in the coming months

Intersting. I knew he was overperforming his xG by a high level do presumed he was not missing many big chances (although did think he probablyhad 1-2 owing to the nature of a CF's role.) I think Timo is more on par with xG, unless I am wrong? 

Either way, as I said, I am not worried about Timo, he creates himself so many chances that the big misses shouldn't really worry anyone. 

14 hours ago, Jype said:

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24.

Oops, you give up the biggest secret of being good goalscorer. Getting to goalscoring chances and get shot is more important than finishing. 

On 2020-11-25 at 9:24 AM, Jason said:

With the way people have been going about Werner missing chances, you would think this isn't someone who has scored 132 goals and even provided about 60 assists in his career. Heck, he already has 14 goals and 4 assists for club and country this season!

If Werner's passing, ability to retain the ball, first touch, finishing were so bad, he would not have been wanted by Hansi Flick, Klopp and even Guardiola and he wouldn't even be a fully fledged German international. 

On paper, yeah, Werner doesn't look suitable against low blocks but people haven't really been watching him over the past year or so, if they believe that's the case. He improved that part of his game under Nagelsmann and is getting better on it. He didn't score 34 goals for Leipzig in all competitions by accident last season and not everyone played a high line against them either. 

Think we can all agree that Werner needs a rest but the overreaction to his form because of the misses in the last 2 games has been :doh:

I try to base my judgement on how he is playing for Chelsea, rather than how he played for RB or what managers might have wanted him. The second point is very debatable anyway, we have no way of knowing just how interested other clubs were. They might have liked the idea of having him in the team, but did not deem him worth what we paid. 

I also don't base my judgement of him from the last two games. I have noticed the same tendencies from the first friendly we saw him in.
He works hard, is very fast and if given space will find a goalscoring position. It is not a question of him being a bad player, but he has also shown some clear weaknesses so far. 

If you think that his first touch or passing is good, then fair enough it is your opinion. What I have seen is a different story though, and for me his touch lets him down quite often. The ball gets away from him and he either loses it or the attack loses momentum. 
I also find it very rare to see him provide any more advanced passes (such as link-up play in the attack). He is not expected to be Fabregas so I don't hold it against him too much, but when you are likely to face a low block in most of your games passing becomes a very important secondary attribute.
In terms of being clinical in front of the goal I would like to hold of on any serious judgement a bit longer, but I am becoming a bit worried there too. 

Again, he is a good player that I like having in the team. He provides a lot of  qualities that help us move the ball fast which is an improvement from last season. 
I am just questioning whether he will have the qualities to match the level of strikers such as Kane, Aguero and Drogba to name a few.

Also, the comparison to Kalou was not in terms of them being the exact same player, which I think was clear in context. It was about the role in the squad. It is also not a suggestion for tomorrow, but in the future if Chelsea manage to deal with the more urgent needs in the squad. 

Can't defend Werner for that miss early in the game because...that was just fucked up but did we buy him only because he scored lots of goals for Leipzig? Because those number looked pretty? He didn't score 90+ goals for Leipzig in the Bundesliga and Champions League by constantly playing out wide like a winger. He is a STRIKER and yet, we are using him like a winger. He doesn't do well out wide because he isn't a winger and then gets slammed for not doing the things that a wide man should be doing.

Can't defend Werner for that miss early in the game because...that was just fucked up but did we buy him only because he scored lots of goals for Leipzig? Because those number looked pretty? He didn't score 90+ goals for Leipzig in the Bundesliga and Champions League by constantly playing out wide like a winger. He is a STRIKER and yet, we are using him like a winger. He doesn't do well out wide because he isn't a winger and then gets slammed for not doing the things that a wide man should be doing.
He missed more chances in the second half. Him missing chances in front of goal has nothing to do with him playing out wide. Instead of making excuses for him, just accept the fact that he is not performing at the moment.

I believe he's not confident in front of goal at the moment, but I have no doubt he'll be a success for us. I hope he picks up form as soon as possible though.

1 minute ago, Azul said:

He missed more chances in the second half. Him missing chances in front of goal has nothing to do with him playing out wide. Instead of making excuses for him, just accept the fact that he is not performing at the moment.

I believe he's not confident in front of goal at the moment, but I have no doubt he'll be a success for us. I hope he picks up form as soon as possible though.

Maybe I should have worded it properly but don't get me wrong, I am not making excuses for him and those missed chances. He should have scored a few goals today. We all know it and am sure Werner know it as well. That is that.

The wider point, as I mentioned above, is how we are using him. We are using him out wide like a winger and let's face it, he's not a winger. He's not going to consistently dribble at players, dribble past them to create chances like a normal winger would. When we use him out wide, we practically lose that kind of threat from a wide position. We and he might be better served playing as a striker upfront, where he can focus on just doing damage there, instead of having to chase people out wide, run up and down, create chances, score goals etc.