Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

11. Timo Werner

Jas
Followers 9

42 minutes ago, Beigl said:

What he just needs is a complete reset after the EUROs..

It's unlikely to happen and it would be a blow to his confidence but I'm kinda hoping that he doesn't get picked for the Euros. Let him reset and have a proper pre-season to work on his finishing, technically and even psychologically. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really taking the piss now 

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24. That said, it comes with the territory. He's

A bit of class by RB Leipzig by posting the 'one step beyond' and now saying "Look after him for us, we will be rooting for Frank's young guns next season" Classy as fuck

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

On the other hand when he does score it does not make him fly high and he suddenly catches every ball perfectly. For almost every time he scores he usually directly proceeds to waste a big chance in the same or the following match and then goes on a scoreless run.

Confidence isn't exactly like a tap water where you can just switch it on or off, is it? Right now, he needs goals without the missing chances bit in between to screw him up and/or have a Lady Luck smiling over him or something like with Iheanacho at the moment.

Had a conversation with someone elsewhere and that person was talking about his goals against Southampton earlier this season. That was an example of what Werner could do at his confident best. Doubt the current Werner would have been able to score those goals now. 

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yet, how many are actually in top class bracket of strikers in terms of overall package though?

And I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't go get another striker this summer anyway. 

I hope your not referring to Werner being top class in that first comment. Because he is near hopeless.

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am surprised you jumped the gun considering it was Werner. 

I'm a slave to emotions 😁 Also in those moments I don't really think who is where, I realized it was Werner only after the fact (was not surprised, just straight up pissed off screaming at the TV). Good save by snake, but Timo made it easy for him. Luckily Pulisic raised the mood shortly after, good lad.

Edited by manpe
27 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I hope your not referring to Werner being top class in that first comment. Because he is near hopeless.

Am not that crazy...Jesus fucking christ...

I simply meant others because if we want a new ST, then it should be a clear upgrade. Killer made it seem like every Tom, Dick and Harry strikers out there have good movement and score lots of goals. If that was really the case, then the top strikers available wouldn't be only Haaland, Lukaku, Kane etc.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I simply meant others because if we want a new ST, then it should be a clear upgrade. Killer made it seem like every Tom, Dick and Harry strikers out there have good movement and score lots of goals. If that was really the case, then the top strikers available wouldn't be only Haaland, Lukaku, Kane etc.

I dont care what he does elsewhere, Lukaku showed at Utd he was not good enough for a team that wants to win the Prem. Most Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of him so why should we even think about trying to sign him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe not top striker, but I would even prefer having Patrick Bamford at Chelsea, who scored 15 goals and still missed 23 big chances than Werner. Werner on the other hand scored 6 goals and missed 17 big chances in PL. I am not even talking about the big three strikers in this world like Kane, Lewa and Benz. 

3 minutes ago, chippy said:

I dont care what he does elsewhere, Lukaku showed at Utd he was not good enough for a team that wants to win the Prem. Most Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of him so why should we even think about trying to sign him?

Am just naming names because Lukaku has been mentioned and the club are reportedly targeting him. It's either him or Haaland supposedly.

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Maybe not top striker, but I would even prefer having Patrick Bamford at Chelsea, who scored 15 goals and still missed 23 big chances than Werner. Werner on the other hand scored 6 goals and missed 17 big chances in PL. I am not even talking about the big three strikers in this world like Kane, Lewa and Benz. 

If you're going to suggest Bamford, we might as well just keep Abraham. 

It's one thing to score for Leeds, it's another to score for Chelsea. Plus, it's also only his first season in the Premier League. Can he do it consistently?

10 minutes ago, chippy said:

Have to disagree with this completely. 

Conte has shown what a little bit of coaching can do to a player like Lukaku. He’s one of the best CFs in the world.

He was a top PL CF also at United, the goals dont lie. Yes he wasnt as complete a player but United lack a 15-20 goals a season number 9 and he was that. I think people forget that he scored 42 goals in 94 games. As well as 87 goals in 166 games for Everton.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am just naming names because Lukaku has been mentioned and the club are reportedly targeting him. It's either him or Haaland supposedly.

If you're going to suggest Bamford, we might as well just keep Abraham. 

It's one thing to score for Leeds, it's another to score for Chelsea. Plus, it's also only his first season in the Premier League. Can he do it consistently?

Yep 100% agree. Lets see next season how he does. He doesn’t strike me as an impact sub either. 

12 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

When Werner went off we actually got worse attacking wise, the problem we have under Tuchel is there is not enough support in the box when we create chances. We are too conservative. 

Exactly!

Apart from us continually messing up in and around the box when in great posustions, far too often we don't get enough players into the box.TT is too worried about us being caught short if we lose the ball so the balance between defence and attack is not how it needs to be.

Regardless of who we sign  in the summer, this is a major problem that needs fixing as there's no way we challenge for the title playing like this week in week out.

As for Werner's future? I'd give him (and Kai) until next Xmas to start showing they're going to be good enough. One and a half seasons is enough time for any player to settle in and perform well.

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to disagree with this completely. 

Conte has shown what a little bit of coaching can do to a player like Lukaku. He’s one of the best CFs in the world.

He was a top PL CF also at United, the goals dont lie. Yes he wasnt as complete a player but United lack a 15-20 goals a season number 9 and he was that. I think people forget that he scored 42 goals in 94 games. As well as 87 goals in 166 games for Everton.

Yep 100% agree. Lets see next season how he does. He doesn’t strike me as an impact sub either. 

A lot of Lukau's goals at Utd were against the weaker teams or when they already had games won. He was shire in the big games for them and  looked miles below the level of the real top strikers like a Kane, Aguero, Salah et all. 

Yes, he  scored enough for Everton and I'm sure Tammy would score well for a club the level of Villa, but thats very different from doing it at clubs chasing for the title. As for his exploits in Italy. Well, sadly, that's another piss poor league and easy pickings for flat track bullies. That's why I have reservations about Haaland or any more expensive buys from Germany. 

44 minutes ago, chippy said:

A lot of Lukau's goals at Utd were against the weaker teams or when they already had games won. He was shire in the big games for them and  looked miles below the level of the real top strikers like a Kane, Aguero, Salah et all. 

Yes, he  scored enough for Everton and I'm sure Tammy would score well for a club the level of Villa, but thats very different from doing it at clubs chasing for the title. As for his exploits in Italy. Well, sadly, that's another piss poor league and easy pickings for flat track bullies. That's why I have reservations about Haaland or any more expensive buys from Germany. 

Yes he might of got a lot against the smaller teams but hows that an issue? A lot of Fabregas’ asissts for us were against smaller teams also but it helped because more or less he was a flat track bully for us and we needed to break down teams that sat behind the ball. But we needed that. He did some things in bigger games also but we have dropped more points v smaller teams than big teams with Tuchel. Theres more games v smaller teams than bigger teams so I dont see the point really, plus Lukaku is also more clinical than you give him credit for and has scored in big games. He would have scored the chances we made last night.

And Italy a piss poor league? Please, it is much stronger than people claim. Ronaldo has scored less in Italy than he did per season for Madrid. Italian league is one of the toughest leagues for CFs to score because its so tactical and defensive. I believe that if you can score goals in Italy you can score anywhere. You mention Salah he is the prime example. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yes he might of got a lot against the smaller teams but hows that an issue? A lot of Fabregas’ asissts for us were against smaller teams also but it helped because more or less he was a flat track bully for us and we needed to break down teams that sat behind the ball. But we needed that. He did some things in bigger games also but we have dropped more points v smaller teams than big teams with Tuchel. Theres more games v smaller teams than bigger teams so I dont see the point really, plus Lukaku is also more clinical than you give him credit for and has scored in big games. He would have scored the chances we made last night.

And Italy a piss poor league? Please, it is much stronger than people claim. Ronaldo has scored less in Italy than he did per season for Madrid. Italian league is one of the toughest leagues for CFs to score because its so tactical and defensive. I believe that if you can score goals in Italy you can score anywhere. You mention Salah he is the prime example. 

I have watched a lot of Serie A last season and the quality of the league is shambolic. The current state of Serie A is horrible. Defenders can't defend at all and they defend like Bundesliga defenders. Serie A used to be high level 15 years ago when they had Maldini, Canavaro, Nesta etc., but times have changed long time ago. 

23 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I have watched a lot of Serie A last season and the quality of the league is shambolic. The current state of Serie A is horrible. Defenders can't defend at all and they defend like Bundesliga defenders. Serie A used to be high level 15 years ago when they had Maldini, Canavaro, Nesta etc., but times have changed long time ago. 

With such poor attendances, I can't see the Italian league ever being à great league again. Top players want to play in packed stadiums, not half empty ones. Been like that for a very long time now, so it seems like many Italians simply fell out of love with football and there's not much you can do about that.

Happening in America too now with huge declines in TV ratings for their sports like Baseball and Basketball, with just a couple of million out of 340 million people watching these days. 

• Like 1
Tuchel needs to give Tammy Abraham a chance. He has given Timo countless opportunities to prove himself and he has failed to deliver. Tammy is a proven goal scorer and deserves a shot in this Chelsea side. He scores most of those chances Werner has missed this season. 

16 minutes ago, milka said:
Tuchel needs to give Tammy Abraham a chance. He has given Timo countless opportunities to prove himself and he has failed to deliver. Tammy is a proven goal scorer and deserves a shot in this Chelsea side. He scores most of those chances Werner has missed this season. 

Yes, Tammy can hardly do any worse than Werner, so I hope TT starts him against Fulham.

Some fans are saying we should sell Tammy in the summer, but I'm not so sure we should. He's good enough as a 3rd choice striker the same way as Zouma is good enough as a 3rd or 4th CB. Depends on whether they are prepared to want to be more than that at Chelsea. Chances of winning trophies over playing week in week out at a lower level club? Difficult choice to make.

• Like 1

heh, Tammy is really loved around here - pretty mediocre footballer in my book.

Werner is twice the player misses and all. If Werner keeps on botching chances, trade him (plenty of teams would welcome him) and get someone better, but Tammy ain't the answer.

Just now, Kunka21 said:

I dont get why Chelsea fans hate so much him.

I support him .100% he gonna be our legend

If he scores against Real and win corner in final after which we score he can be legend like Torres 👍

• Like 1