Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

2 hours ago, Jason said:

These first few weeks in London haven’t completely gone by without complications though. The sheer size of the city and getting stuck in “crazy traffic” needed some getting used to, and the strange words being used around Cobham left him puzzled. “I’d never heard of ‘Lads’ before,” he laughs. “And the players were always saying, ‘Gaffer. Gaffer.’ I thought, ‘Who are they talking about?’ I knew that a ‘trainer’ was a ‘manager’ here. But ‘Gaffer’ was a new one for me.”

The aftermath of his successful debut, a 3-1 win at Brighton on Monday, brought more puzzlement. Chelsea’s medical staff told Werner he’d suffered a dead leg but the 24-year-old was instantly relieved to find that the limb hadn’t expired just yet. It was just another football term he hadn’t come across yet, the English equivalent of a “Pferdekuss” (literally: kiss of horse) as they call that type of bruising contact in his home country.

This is pretty amusing, reminds me of the stories of Dennis Wise putting his own stamp on English lessons for the Italian influx, making sure they knew all the slang and swearing.

If I was one of the English boys I'd definitely have a little fun with some of the lads coming in with regards to the language. We use so much slang in this country and lots of words have different meanings in different areas, it must be incredibly confusing for the foreign lads coming in at times.

Great interview though, and a great press conference too the other day. Elite, winning mentality. I hope he gets off the mark over the next couple of games because I think if he strikes hot it'll take a lot to stop him. This season might be too soon, but over the next couple of years I'm very confident he'll be firing us into a serious title challenge and trophies on the horizon.

Think about being a defender seeing he and Pulisic sprinting at them...

Hes going to be a beast. I wish he'd be our designated penalty taker as well. For me you always want your main striker to take pens. Let him see the ball hit the back of the net.