Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Surely he will be our new number 11?

Heres hoping he can get settled in and make a difference from the beginning but also have a feeling there may be initial teething issues at the start.

Have big expectations for him still and he can definitely add another 15-20 goals in his first season to this team. I expect people will want more but I think to consider the potential that he may need time to get accustomed to the PL and the team, 15-20 in his first season would make a very good addition to a side lacking more goals for the amount of chances we created.

Plus I like that he can feature also on the left, if push comes to shove and Tammy is doing well, we can accommodate both in or if it suits some games better, giving us real flexibility. Or even when chasing games go to a 433 with those 2 and Christian in attack, who is also likely to be a another goal threat next season (10-15 minimum I think is very possible bases on this year) as well as throw in Ziyech into the midfield, it bodes well to have real options and different profiles of players. 

Havertz joining would be icing on the cake in terms of attacking positions but we still need to look in the backline at LB and CB as well as GK probably. Also need to consider selling Barkley as we cannot expect to persist with him in the squad when we will have guys like Ziyech, Havertz, Mount and Ruben who will all play more advanced roles. Also mentioning Ruben I am not so sure where he will fit in if this Havertz moves happens also? Its certainly going to be interesting but I dont think only selling Barkley is going to be ideal. Gilmour will be back also and then there is the talk of Jorginho to Juventus. I think in advanced positions, Barkley, Ruben, Mount, Ziyech and Havertz is far too much. Even if Ziyech and Havertz can play wide but both probably like to be more central. At least one has to go maybe 2.

10 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have big expectations for him still and he can definitely add another 15-20 goals in his first season to this team. I expect people will want more but I think to consider the potential that he may need time to get accustomed to the PL and the team, 15-20 in his first season would make a very good addition to a side lacking more goals for the amount of chances we created.

If we're talking about league goals only, the last time a Chelsea striker scored more than 20 in a season was ten years ago in 2009/10 with Drogba. Even Diego Costa never got more than 20, though he did score exactly that amount in both title winning seasons. So I don't think it'd be reasonable for people to ask a new signing to hit more goals than any Chelsea player in more than a decade. 

15-20 in the PL for Werner in his first year would be totally fine, as long as his overall play is good. At Leipzig he got a lot of assists as well so if he can continue creating some chances for his teammates as well that'd be really good. 

1 hour ago, Jype said:

If we're talking about league goals only, the last time a Chelsea striker scored more than 20 in a season was ten years ago in 2009/10 with Drogba. Even Diego Costa never got more than 20, though he did score exactly that amount in both title winning seasons. So I don't think it'd be reasonable for people to ask a new signing to hit more goals than any Chelsea player in more than a decade. 

15-20 in the PL for Werner in his first year would be totally fine, as long as his overall play is good. At Leipzig he got a lot of assists as well so if he can continue creating some chances for his teammates as well that'd be really good. 

Meant overall in all comps, 15 or theres about in PL would be more than fine imo. As youve said here weve not had many in league score over 20. Even the other teams very rarely do players go over 20 each season, ok Vardy did this season and maybe Aubameyang but think most were between 15-19, likes of Salah, Sterling etc. You do get the odd year where a Ronaldo will score a crazy amount of league goals (that season at Utd he had 40 odd in all comps) or a Suarez (20 odd and then 30 odd in last 2 seasons at Liverpool) or a Aguero (20+ in 5 or 6 diff seasons in PL) but those players are harder to find. 

if we have a group of players say Puli, Werner, Abraham and say Havertz if he moves, who get between 10-15 PL goals each and then pushing 20+ at least in all comps, I would imagine we would have a very successful season. Great teams dont just have one player scoring every week they have a collection of guys throughout the season getting reasonably solid numbers. That’s without mentioning assists as well. We've missed Edens goals and other sources such as Gaz and Luiz’s couple a season as well this year, 100%.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

if we have a group of players say Puli, Werner, Abraham and say Havertz if he moves, who get between 10-15 PL goals each and then pushing 20+ at least in all comps, I would imagine we would have a very successful season. Great teams dont just have one player scoring every week they have a collection of guys throughout the season getting reasonably solid numbers. That’s without mentioning assists as well. We've missed Edens goals and other sources such as Gaz and Luiz’s couple a season as well this year, 100%.

Good point. Last few years the best teams in the league (especially Man City and to a point also Liverpool) have had many different goal threats to rely on instead of just a single main man. Early days for them but it looks like United are going to be like that too (Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno and maybe Sancho if they get him too).

Tottenham for example are totally reliant on Kane to score the goals for them and whenever he hits bad form or gets injured they're fucked. Same for us previously when Hazard was the only one consistently hitting ~15 goals in the league. 

It certainly looks like Lamps is trying to break away from that kind of style and go the same route with the likes of City by having many versatile and potentially top class attacking players in the team. Having players like Werner, Tammy, Pulisic, Havertz who can all hit at least 10-15 goals a season with maybe one or two closer to the 20 goal mark would be huge. That way the team won't suffer so much from injuries / rotation and it helps especially against the low-block teams when they can't just mark the main goal threat out of the game and get away with at least a draw. And having a creator like Ziyech will certainly help breaking down defenses who sit deep and let us have all of the possession in the attacking third. None of the current wingers / AMs offer the same kind of creativity as Ziyech.

Werner's first interview with the club. Can watch the video in link below.

Has also started training with the other players.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/28/video-exclusive--werner-interview-on-his-decision-to-join-chelse?cardIndex=0-0

Timo Werner has watched his first game at Stamford Bridge as a Chelsea player and he has given his first interview too.

The German international striker, one of our two summer signings so far along with Hakim Ziyech, witnessed his new club ensure he will be playing in the Champions League next season, courtesy of our 2-0 win over Wolves, and it was from his vantage point in the East Stand that he also faced our cameras to speak about his move and what he hopes to bring to our forward line.

The full interview with the 24-year-old, who joins us from RB Leipzig, can be watched now in the video above.

Among his answers, Werner explains how important Frank Lampard was in his decision to move to England.

‘He [Lampard] was the main point,’ he explains. ‘We talked a lot about things like system, like how he wants to play and sees me playing, and how the system fits to me. He is a really nice guy who not only told me what he wants from me as a player because he wants to help me as a guy. He knows me now a little bit better and it fits very good between us and now I am happy to be here.

‘When you have a decision to go from your old club and you come to a big club like this, it was for me a dream which came true because Chelsea is a very big club,’ Werner says about the move in general.

‘I know of the players before when they won the Champions League with Drogba, with my new manager Frank Lampard, Petr Cech as the technical advisor, it is like a little dream for me but I want to become, not a same player like them, but I want to be part of a new era here so I will play to try to give my best.’

The new arrival, although he cannot join the squad this season, has begun training at Cobham and is looking forward to meeting his new team-mates this week.

‘The first day is always a little bit crazy because you don’t know everybody so much,’ he says, ‘and not only the team, it is always a pleasure to meet the team behind the team the first time and now I am very happy and excited to meet them.’

Looking a little further ahead to when he can make his Chelsea debut, Werner is ready for the challenge of performing in a new competition.

‘The style of the Premier League is very fast and my speciality is that I am really fast so I think it is perfect for me to play here. It is another league in another country so I can improve myself to bring it to another level, so those are the reasons I come to the Premier League and to Chelsea.

‘I’ll try to score as much goals as I can for Chelsea, that is the big reason why they bought me, to bring the goals I scored in Leipzig here, and maybe score more goals than there.’