Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Surely soon, no? He's still got that medical to complete!

i'm sure he'll do the medical and his pics at the bridge pretty soon. Doesnt have to move for that. Just sounds like its gonna be a little while until he joins training then 

9 hours ago, Artandur said:

i'm sure he'll do the medical and his pics at the bridge pretty soon. Doesnt have to move for that. Just sounds like its gonna be a little while until he joins training then 

I'm sure the club would have arranged some form of accommodation for him if he hasn't found a home yet. Am sure it would be beneficial for all parties if he gets settled in London ASAP. 

The training bit...yup, agreed. 

FL has confirmed he is working on a plan to integrate Timo and Hakim and getting them into the structure of training and how they will fill in and around the squad.

Stating Hakim has played little football so it's all about planning as to what is best for both players and the squad as a whole.

Lampard on plans for Werner and Ziyech arrivals...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/06/30/frank-lampard-reveals-chelsea-plans-for-hakim-ziyech-and-timo-we?cardIndex=0-1

‘I’m in the process of arranging those plans now.’ 

‘They’re both in different positions in the fact that Hakim hasn’t played for a long time because of the Dutch league situation [being abandoned and declared void in April] and obviously Timo finished at the weekend.

‘We will formulate a plan for them which will look slightly different individually. I’ll decide in the meantime how it looks at the training ground, whether that means mixing with the squad or whether it means some physical work in the shorter-term.’

‘In terms of these two players, we have to make sure they arrive with good fitness and freshness levels for next season.

‘They will have a longer break than the players we’ve already got in the squad so I’ll take that firmly into account and when I feel it’s the right time to bring them in and around the squad this season, I can do that. If not, the absolute priority is making sure they’re ready for next season.’

Bierhoff on why Werner will succeed at Chelsea and Germany’s ‘St George’s Park’

https://theathletic.com/1892976/2020/06/30/oliver-bierhoff-germany-timo-werner-chelsea/

havertz-werner-scaled-e1593518861813-1024x682.jpg

Germany could have been contesting a last 16 tie at Euro 2020 this week but Oliver Bierhoff doesn’t look all that distraught about sitting in his home office near Munich instead. The managing director for national teams and academy at the German FA (DFB) readily admits the competition’s postponement to June 2021 might well work in his youngish side’s favour. Uneven performances since the disastrous 2018 World Cup have shown that the reshaped Nationalmannschaft can really do with a little more time.

“We played very well in some games, against France and the Netherlands, for example, but we still lost some of them, because we were lacking that bit of experience and robustness — we were fragile as a team,” the 52-year-old says. “The next 12 months will provide an opportunity for players to grow and mature. They will get better, playing another 15 internationals or 15 Champions League games, and that extra bit of consistency should make us more resilient collectively.”

Bierhoff name-checks Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sane (soon to be Bayern) and Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) in that respect but it is perhaps Timo Werner’s rapid improvement that fills him with most optimism. This season, the RB Leipzig attacker (above, with Havertz) took a serious step forward in his development, netting a career-best 28 goals in the league under Julian Nagelsmann and playing with what Bierhoff describes as “a new sense of authority”.

And he feels Werner’s imminent move to Chelsea will add further positive momentum. As a former Germany striker whose career only got going once he moved to Italy and played for Udinese and AC Milan, the Euro 1996 winner welcomes Werner’s decision to swap Saxony for Stamford Bridge next season. The stint in the Premier League, he believes, will make the 24-year-old more resilient, as a person as a well as a player.

“I played outside of Germany for 13 out of 17 years and it was brilliant. I think it’s a courageous decision and a good one for Timo. We often see players who go abroad grow in personality. Take Per Mertesacker, at Arsenal. Bernd Leno, too. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (at Barcelona), Ilkay Gundogan (at Manchester City). Toni Kroos (at Real Madrid), Antonio Rudiger (at Chelsea).

“In a foreign country, you are left to your own devices. There’s a risk factor involved, but I would always do it again because you mature so much. Italy was a shock to me at first. You believe football is the same everywhere, but it’s totally different everywhere. The people are different, the dressing room humour is different, communication is different, the game is different. You need a bit of time to get used to it. There is an expectation on you that you should not take too long, of course, but I believe that Timo’s obsessive quest for goals and his ambitiousness will help him settle quickly.

“He doesn’t look left or right too much, he’s focused on scoring and performing well. And with his pace, he will score goals in England, I’m sure.”

There are downsides to the newly drawn-up calendar too, of course. A storm is already brewing about Germany’s first two Nations League fixtures (against Spain and Switzerland) in the first week of September, well before the start of the 2020-21 Bundesliga season, and just 10 days after the conclusions of the 2019-20 Champions League and Europa League.

Bierhoff

Bierhoff at the Nations League draw (Photo: Lukas Schulze – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

Bayern Munich’s executive chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has called the prospect of his professionals playing on without a two-week break “a horror scenario” and hinted that some wouldn’t be able to feature for the national team in September. Bierhoff understands the concerns — up to a point.

“We, the German FA, were only too happy to help the clubs with devising a medical concept for the league’s resumption in May,” he recalls. “We moved out of the way, and agreed that Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 would come back first, followed by 3 Liga (Germany’s third division), the Women’s Bundesliga, Champions League and Europa League. Then it would be the national team’s turn. We have done everything to support the clubs, which is why I would like their support for the international games in September, October and November.”

Could there be a compromise, with players involved in European competition sitting out those September fixtures?

“We need to keep an eye on players’ workload, without a doubt, especially for those who play in the Champions League until the very end,” he says. “We are always in touch with our players and their clubs. But we would like them to be involved with Germany. We are one year into a rebuild of the team, (and) injuries and other problems have stopped us from playing with one XI consistently. We need this year to find the best team and to mature, we cannot continue to make all sorts of experiments. I’m worried there won’t be as much time as usual to prepare before the tournament either. ”

While Germany head coach Joachim Low is personally under the most pressure to atone for the early exit from Russia 2018 and then finishing bottom of their Nations League group below Holland and France, the need to make amends is keenly felt by the FA as a whole, which makes a good European Championship finals next year all the more vital.

“We lost a lot of credit after the World Cup,” Bierhoff concedes.

Germany had arrived as holders with a palpable sense of entitlement bordering on arrogance and duly failed to even get out of the group, leaving vast sections of the public back home markedly disengaged. A lack of backing for Mesut Ozil, who had accused the since-departed German FA president Reinhard Grindel of racism towards him, added to a sense the national team had lost its way.

Ozil, Germany

Germany’s bid to win back-to-back World Cups was over after three games (Photo: Michael Regan – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

“We have a lot to make up for. There were some good games in the Euro qualifiers, we were on course for generating a bit of enthusiasm again, but that’s all been disrupted by COVID-19. It was nevertheless very important for us to be present as a team, and to make a stand during the break,” Bierhoff says, with reference to the national team players donating €250,000 to help homeless people affected by the pandemic. “We know, however, that euphoria comes from wins and good performances — there’s no substitute for that.”

But German football needs more than a successful Euros “to get back to world class”, as the FA’s stated aim has it. Youth coaches have warned the supply of top young prodigies is drying up. Twenty years after the country’s youth development reforms started producing much more technical, talented players, the system no longer delivers the same number of high-potential prospects. The reboot needs a reboot.

“Russia was a blip, an accident, but our issues go deeper,” Bierhoff says. “Our coaches are saying that there are too few 17- or 18-year-olds coming through who have what it takes. That’s the brutal feedback from the Bundesliga as well. They say they’re forced to go to France or England (for young players), that they’re better there. That shows you we have to make up ground.”

Sancho Dortmund

Jadon Sncho joined Borussia Dortmund from Manchester City aged 17 in 2017 (Photo: Lars Baron/Bongarts/Getty Images)

The DFB’s answer to the fall in quality output has been emphatic. They are investing in a €150 million academy and new headquarters in Frankfurt, their very own version of England’s St George’s Park. The aim is to create a central hub for all national teams and their staff, a physical as well as a digital-knowledge base and a centre for education. A lot of emphasis will be put on the coaching of coaches, to induce a change of methods, towards a more individualistic approach. Many clubs have noticed their youth coaches have been too keen to win trophies and further their own careers instead of focusing on the players’ needs to develop.

“A look at France — the most successful country in terms of producing excellent football — shows that they leave more freedom for players to be creative. Us Germans are quite schematic, mechanical, and that rubs off on the football. Our boys play very solid, very organised, but sometimes without the creativity and spontaneous, fast, decision-making that makes the difference at this level.”

They are also thinking about smaller youth teams with less early selection and more room for development, as well as moving some of their regional centres back into urban areas, out of concern that highly talented players of a migratory background might be getting overlooked by the system right now.

The financial implications of COVID-19, an estimated loss of €50 million for the federation, will make it more difficult to put things back on track but Bierhoff insists the academy complex will be ready by the end of next year as scheduled.

If anything, the pandemic will force clubs, even more, to make the most of their own resources, by making them better coaches and administrators, he believes. “We will help them in that regard, by providing a platform for the exchange of knowledge.” In September, a first cohort of club officials will study in a newly-devised “professional football management” course, a kind of Pro Licence for sporting directors.

Most of the changes at grassroots level will take eight to 10 years to filter through, Bierhoff acknowledges. “We’re not fatalistic but there are problems ahead in the medium term, when the current crop of internationals come towards the end of their careers. I think the national team manager in charge in 2024 or 2026 might have fewer players to chose from than Low had in 2014.”

Bad news for Jurgen Klopp then?

Bierhoff laughs.

“No. With him in charge, any players will work. But we’re not thinking about that right now.”

On 01/07/2020 at 6:25 AM, Vesper said:

Bierhoff on why Werner will succeed at Chelsea and Germany’s ‘St George’s Park’

https://theathletic.com/1892976/2020/06/30/oliver-bierhoff-germany-timo-werner-chelsea/

havertz-werner-scaled-e1593518861813-1024x682.jpg

Germany could have been contesting a last 16 tie at Euro 2020 this week but Oliver Bierhoff doesn’t look all that distraught about sitting in his home office near Munich instead. The managing director for national teams and academy at the German FA (DFB) readily admits the competition’s postponement to June 2021 might well work in his youngish side’s favour. Uneven performances since the disastrous 2018 World Cup have shown that the reshaped Nationalmannschaft can really do with a little more time.

“We played very well in some games, against France and the Netherlands, for example, but we still lost some of them, because we were lacking that bit of experience and robustness — we were fragile as a team,” the 52-year-old says. “The next 12 months will provide an opportunity for players to grow and mature. They will get better, playing another 15 internationals or 15 Champions League games, and that extra bit of consistency should make us more resilient collectively.”

Bierhoff name-checks Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sane (soon to be Bayern) and Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) in that respect but it is perhaps Timo Werner’s rapid improvement that fills him with most optimism. This season, the RB Leipzig attacker (above, with Havertz) took a serious step forward in his development, netting a career-best 28 goals in the league under Julian Nagelsmann and playing with what Bierhoff describes as “a new sense of authority”.

And he feels Werner’s imminent move to Chelsea will add further positive momentum. As a former Germany striker whose career only got going once he moved to Italy and played for Udinese and AC Milan, the Euro 1996 winner welcomes Werner’s decision to swap Saxony for Stamford Bridge next season. The stint in the Premier League, he believes, will make the 24-year-old more resilient, as a person as a well as a player.

“I played outside of Germany for 13 out of 17 years and it was brilliant. I think it’s a courageous decision and a good one for Timo. We often see players who go abroad grow in personality. Take Per Mertesacker, at Arsenal. Bernd Leno, too. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (at Barcelona), Ilkay Gundogan (at Manchester City). Toni Kroos (at Real Madrid), Antonio Rudiger (at Chelsea).

“In a foreign country, you are left to your own devices. There’s a risk factor involved, but I would always do it again because you mature so much. Italy was a shock to me at first. You believe football is the same everywhere, but it’s totally different everywhere. The people are different, the dressing room humour is different, communication is different, the game is different. You need a bit of time to get used to it. There is an expectation on you that you should not take too long, of course, but I believe that Timo’s obsessive quest for goals and his ambitiousness will help him settle quickly.

“He doesn’t look left or right too much, he’s focused on scoring and performing well. And with his pace, he will score goals in England, I’m sure.”

There are downsides to the newly drawn-up calendar too, of course. A storm is already brewing about Germany’s first two Nations League fixtures (against Spain and Switzerland) in the first week of September, well before the start of the 2020-21 Bundesliga season, and just 10 days after the conclusions of the 2019-20 Champions League and Europa League.

Bierhoff

Bierhoff at the Nations League draw (Photo: Lukas Schulze – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

Bayern Munich’s executive chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has called the prospect of his professionals playing on without a two-week break “a horror scenario” and hinted that some wouldn’t be able to feature for the national team in September. Bierhoff understands the concerns — up to a point.

“We, the German FA, were only too happy to help the clubs with devising a medical concept for the league’s resumption in May,” he recalls. “We moved out of the way, and agreed that Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 would come back first, followed by 3 Liga (Germany’s third division), the Women’s Bundesliga, Champions League and Europa League. Then it would be the national team’s turn. We have done everything to support the clubs, which is why I would like their support for the international games in September, October and November.”

Could there be a compromise, with players involved in European competition sitting out those September fixtures?

“We need to keep an eye on players’ workload, without a doubt, especially for those who play in the Champions League until the very end,” he says. “We are always in touch with our players and their clubs. But we would like them to be involved with Germany. We are one year into a rebuild of the team, (and) injuries and other problems have stopped us from playing with one XI consistently. We need this year to find the best team and to mature, we cannot continue to make all sorts of experiments. I’m worried there won’t be as much time as usual to prepare before the tournament either. ”

While Germany head coach Joachim Low is personally under the most pressure to atone for the early exit from Russia 2018 and then finishing bottom of their Nations League group below Holland and France, the need to make amends is keenly felt by the FA as a whole, which makes a good European Championship finals next year all the more vital.

“We lost a lot of credit after the World Cup,” Bierhoff concedes.

Germany had arrived as holders with a palpable sense of entitlement bordering on arrogance and duly failed to even get out of the group, leaving vast sections of the public back home markedly disengaged. A lack of backing for Mesut Ozil, who had accused the since-departed German FA president Reinhard Grindel of racism towards him, added to a sense the national team had lost its way.

Ozil, Germany

Germany’s bid to win back-to-back World Cups was over after three games (Photo: Michael Regan – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

“We have a lot to make up for. There were some good games in the Euro qualifiers, we were on course for generating a bit of enthusiasm again, but that’s all been disrupted by COVID-19. It was nevertheless very important for us to be present as a team, and to make a stand during the break,” Bierhoff says, with reference to the national team players donating €250,000 to help homeless people affected by the pandemic. “We know, however, that euphoria comes from wins and good performances — there’s no substitute for that.”

But German football needs more than a successful Euros “to get back to world class”, as the FA’s stated aim has it. Youth coaches have warned the supply of top young prodigies is drying up. Twenty years after the country’s youth development reforms started producing much more technical, talented players, the system no longer delivers the same number of high-potential prospects. The reboot needs a reboot.

“Russia was a blip, an accident, but our issues go deeper,” Bierhoff says. “Our coaches are saying that there are too few 17- or 18-year-olds coming through who have what it takes. That’s the brutal feedback from the Bundesliga as well. They say they’re forced to go to France or England (for young players), that they’re better there. That shows you we have to make up ground.”

Sancho Dortmund

Jadon Sncho joined Borussia Dortmund from Manchester City aged 17 in 2017 (Photo: Lars Baron/Bongarts/Getty Images)

The DFB’s answer to the fall in quality output has been emphatic. They are investing in a €150 million academy and new headquarters in Frankfurt, their very own version of England’s St George’s Park. The aim is to create a central hub for all national teams and their staff, a physical as well as a digital-knowledge base and a centre for education. A lot of emphasis will be put on the coaching of coaches, to induce a change of methods, towards a more individualistic approach. Many clubs have noticed their youth coaches have been too keen to win trophies and further their own careers instead of focusing on the players’ needs to develop.

“A look at France — the most successful country in terms of producing excellent football — shows that they leave more freedom for players to be creative. Us Germans are quite schematic, mechanical, and that rubs off on the football. Our boys play very solid, very organised, but sometimes without the creativity and spontaneous, fast, decision-making that makes the difference at this level.”

They are also thinking about smaller youth teams with less early selection and more room for development, as well as moving some of their regional centres back into urban areas, out of concern that highly talented players of a migratory background might be getting overlooked by the system right now.

The financial implications of COVID-19, an estimated loss of €50 million for the federation, will make it more difficult to put things back on track but Bierhoff insists the academy complex will be ready by the end of next year as scheduled.

If anything, the pandemic will force clubs, even more, to make the most of their own resources, by making them better coaches and administrators, he believes. “We will help them in that regard, by providing a platform for the exchange of knowledge.” In September, a first cohort of club officials will study in a newly-devised “professional football management” course, a kind of Pro Licence for sporting directors.

Most of the changes at grassroots level will take eight to 10 years to filter through, Bierhoff acknowledges. “We’re not fatalistic but there are problems ahead in the medium term, when the current crop of internationals come towards the end of their careers. I think the national team manager in charge in 2024 or 2026 might have fewer players to chose from than Low had in 2014.”

Bad news for Jurgen Klopp then?

Bierhoff laughs.

“No. With him in charge, any players will work. But we’re not thinking about that right now.”

Good article, and probably true that the pandemic will make clubs more resourceful

Ballack on Werner...

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/timo-werner-chelsea-liverpool-premier-league-michael-ballack-471646

“Timo and Chelsea is great fit. Chelsea do not have this kind of player at the moment. They have many quick, skilful players, but not anyone that can do the basic things, head straight for goal, like Timo does.

“There is a reason why Chelsea signed him, so he must focus on what he is good at. Chelsea know he is not going to be as skilful and quick as other players. He will adapt to the way of playing quickly, but should not try to alter his style. If he plays to what he is good at, he will be an amazing signing for Chelsea. It is a great place to play football.”

Ballack on Werner...
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/timo-werner-chelsea-liverpool-premier-league-michael-ballack-471646

“Timo and Chelsea is great fit. Chelsea do not have this kind of player at the moment. They have many quick, skilful players, but not anyone that can do the basic things, head straight for goal, like Timo does.
“There is a reason why Chelsea signed him, so he must focus on what he is good at. Chelsea know he is not going to be as skilful and quick as other players. He will adapt to the way of playing quickly, but should not try to alter his style. If he plays to what he is good at, he will be an amazing signing for Chelsea. It is a great place to play football.”

I fucking love Ballack. One of my favourite Chelsea players. His technique was the best of any cm we had while he was here

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk