Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Agent Rudiger on Werner...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/06/22/antonio-rudiger-on-what-he-expects-from-timo-werner-and-his-part

‘Like everyone, I’m very excited that he’s chosen Chelsea and I’m looking forward to working with him,’ said the defender. ‘I’ve known him since he was 17 and he did very good in the past few years. He can be very important for us

‘His development was just "wow". In his first season everything was new for him in men’s football but then he started scoring more goals and of course with that comes confidence. He had very good coaches who believed in him and worked with him.’

Rudiger sees similarities between the German international and Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy, who has racked up plenty of Premier League goals in recent seasons, citing his renowned pace and ruthlessness in exploiting mistakes from the opposition.

‘He’s a really big threat to defenders,’ he continued. ‘RB Leipzig is a more counter-attacking team but in terms of attacking the defensive line, he’s similar to Vardy. He has a lot of pace and if the defender makes a mistake and loses the ball, then he goes!’

The pair have played together for the German national team as well as Stuttgart and been in regular contact in recent months. One of the most feared young strikers in Europe, there were plenty of suitors for the forward’s signature and Rudiger revealed the part he played in convincing his friend to join him at the Bridge.

‘I did speak to him before because we have known each other for a long time,’ said Rudiger. ‘We spoke a lot during the lockdown and he told me he was interested in coming to England. Of course then I did my bit, what I had to do.

‘I would say he’s a quiet, humble guy, always ready to do better,’ Rudiger added of Werner’s personality off the pitch. ‘I hope he adapts very quickly when he comes because as we all know this competition is different than others.’

On 21/06/2020 at 3:48 PM, communicate said:

Yup, need to improve his skill on the ball. 

Isn't going to happen. Far too old to improve his basic talent level. He's got what he's got, and will have to work with it.

The comparison which keeps coming to my mind is Fernando Torres. Our former player had flaws in his game which some people overlooked but, Timo seems better than Nando to me. I don't believe we've bought the next galactico, but we've got someone who can contribute for us.

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Isn't going to happen. Far too old to improve his basic talent level. He's got what he's got, and will have to work with it.

The comparison which keeps coming to my mind is Fernando Torres. Our former player had flaws in his game which some people overlooked but, Timo seems better than Nando to me. I don't believe we've bought the next galactico, but we've got someone who can contribute for us.

He is similar to Torres in the sense that he needs to feel the trust of the people around him, has to be pampered a little. Probably not to the same extent as Torres but as many great players Timo is a sensitive guy. Anyway you should not compare him to post injury torres. Timo has way more pace than even pre-injury Torres. Still if he gets injured and loses that pace he is basically ueseless so we better hope he stays healthy his whole career which so far he has managed.

7 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

He is similar to Torres in the sense that he needs to feel the trust of the people around him, has to be pampered a little. Probably not to the same extent as Torres but as many great players Timo is a sensitive guy. Anyway you should not compare him to post injury torres. Timo has way more pace than even pre-injury Torres. Still if he gets injured and loses that pace he is basically ueseless so we better hope he stays healthy his whole career which so far he has managed.

In case you are unaware, I never rated Fernando Torres. Not when he was with Atleti and being linked with Chelsea, not while he was scoring goals for Liverpool and most definitely not on the day he joined The Blues. Only once before, on the afternoon we signed Chris Sutton, had I been so angry with my football club as I was on the morning I learned we'd done a deal for Torres the preceding night.

In saying that I think Timo is a better player than Nando, I'm therefore not praising our new signing as much as you might have imagined I intended to. I can't speak to Timo's mental strength, but I do like what he brings. I like his decisiveness when presented with goal scoring opportunities where he does not have time to think about it, and I like his decision making over whether to shoot or pass. Like doesn't cover the way I feel about his pace however. I don't like it, I love it.

I think Timo has limitations, but I also think we should be grateful for them. Yes, grateful. Were it not for those limitations he would have signed for a club higher up the food chain. He's not a galactico but he can, and I think will, improve us.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

In case you are unaware, I never rated Fernando Torres. Not when he was with Atleti and being linked with Chelsea, not while he was scoring goals for Liverpool and most definitely not on the day he joined The Blues. Only once before, on the afternoon we signed Chris Sutton, had I been so angry with my football club as I was on the morning I learned we'd done a deal for Torres the preceding night.

In saying that I think Timo is a better player than Nando, I'm therefore not praising our new signing as much as you might have imagined I intended to. I can't speak to Timo's mental strength, but I do like what he brings. I like his decisiveness when presented with goal scoring opportunities where he does not have time to think about it, and I like his decision making over whether to shoot or pass. Like doesn't cover the way I feel about his pace however. I don't like it, I love it.

I think Timo has limitations, but I also think we should be grateful for them. Yes, grateful. Were it not for those limitations he would have signed for a club higher up the food chain. He's not a galactico but he can, and I think will, improve us.

How on Earth could you not rate the Torres that was scoring goals for Liverpool. That Torres was the best striker in the World at the time. 

How on Earth could you not rate the Torres that was scoring goals for Liverpool. That Torres was the best striker in the World at the time. 
Hahaha, Comparing prime Torres with Timo Werner. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Prime Torres was one of the fastest and most gifted technical players I have seen my whole life. His finishing, his dribbling and his pace was insane. Injuries fucked him up and that is why I never wanted him at Chelsea

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Hahaha, Comparing prime Torres with Timo Werner. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Prime Torres was one of the fastest and most gifted technical players I have seen my whole life. His finishing, his dribbling and his pace was insane. Injuries fucked him up and that is why I never wanted him at Chelsea

Aye, Timo is nowhere near the Torres in red level. That guy was a monster. We bought a shadow of that guy. Timo brings different qualities but in my opinion he still needs alot of work... luckily je is young so he can improve his passing and hold up play.

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Hahaha, Comparing prime Torres with Timo Werner. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

He wasn't that technically gifted, if he was he wouldn't have declined that badly. David Villa was a much better all round player and that came to the fore almost every time they played together for Spain even when Nando at his absolute peak.

His main attributes that gave him that crucial one second advantage over many defenders were his acceleration and his underrated upper body strength (for reference see how he knocked over Ferdinand to score at Anfield against Man.United). As soon as injuries took them away he was reliant on his technical game and tactical mind and as we all know, neither were good enough. 

I don't 100% agree with @OhForAGreavsieas I did rate him in his prime, but it wasn't his technical ability that got him to where he was.

He wasn't that technically gifted, if he was he wouldn't have declined that badly. David Villa was a much better all round player and that came to the fore almost every time they played together for Spain even when Nando at his absolute peak.
His main attributes that gave him that crucial one second advantage over many defenders were his acceleration and his underrated upper body strength (for reference see how he knocked over Ferdinand to score at Anfield against Man.United). As soon as injuries took them away he was reliant on his technical game and tactical mind and as we all know, neither were good enough. 
I don't 100% agree with [mention=10857]OhForAGreavsie[/mention]as I did rate him in his prime, but it wasn't his technical ability that got him to where he was.
Prime Torres was an amazing dribbler. Just look at his solo dribbling goals. And your argument does not count because prime Torres was also an amazing long distance shooter and a clinical striker, which he did not show at Chelsea. Chelsea Torres did not have any confidence because he was the biggest meme in the world at that time. He lost all of his pace, social media hate and all the other injuries did not help his confidence either.

But I agree that David Villa was technically superior than Torres, but Torres was more complete that Villa.

14 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Prime Torres was an amazing dribbler. Just look at his solo dribbling goals. And your argument does not count because prime Torres was also an amazing long distance shooter and a clinical striker, which he did not show at Chelsea. Chelsea Torres did not have any confidence because he was the biggest meme in the world at that time. He lost all of his pace, social media hate and all the other injuries did not help his confidence either.

But I agree that David Villa was technically superior than Torres, but Torres was more complete that Villa.

This is going to sound crazy until i've added context but i though Torres's finishing in isolation while here was quite good. Torres's problem was he didn't have the tactical brain to get in those scoring positions regularly which meant he'd often go weeks without even a half chance of a goal. The rare times he got in i was confident he would finish and he usually (with a few high profile exceptions) did.

If he was a genuine bad finisher like Morata he wouldn't have even hit double figures here.

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

This is going to sound crazy until i've added context but i though Torres's finishing in isolation while here was quite good. Torres's problem was he didn't have the tactical brain to get in those scoring positions regularly which meant he'd often go weeks without even a half chance of a goal. The rare times he got in i was confident he would finish and he usually (with a few high profile exceptions) did.

If he was a genuine bad finisher like Morata he wouldn't have even hit double figures here.

That's the truth..Torres used his acceleration to beat defences... and when his confidence was high and all was going well, the ball just seemed to fall to him most of the time. When he lost that acceleration, evidently here at Chels, he didn't have the naturual Strikers instinct say an Inzaghi had to bag the goals his previous ability would help achieve. 

3 hours ago, DDA said:

This is the kind of thing people were telling me at the time. Because I know the difference between a good player, and an ordinary one doing well. The same way anyone with eyes and experience of watching football should have known that Kezman was not Chelsea player or that Sheva was done before he came here.

I've described it many times on here and elsewhere so apologies for the repetition but the brief Liverpool purple patch was a blip. The whole of the rest of Nando's career tells the truth about his real level. I strongly believe that with the passing of time, more people in the game will find that they feel able to tell the truth about their assessments of Nando. The only one I know who broke cover at the time was Martin Allen. He summed up his thoughts on the subject by saying, "Torres, not having him. Not having him at all."

Allen was right and there must be scores of other people in the game who knew it too.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This is the kind of thing people were telling me at the time. Because I know the difference between a good player, and an ordinary one doing well. The same way anyone with eyes and experience of watching football should have know that Kezman was not Chelsea player or that Sheva was done before he came here.

I've described it many times on here and elsewhere so apologies for the repetition but the brief Liverpool purple patch was a blip. The whole of the rest of Nando's career tells the truth about his real level. I strongly believe that with the passing of time, more people in the game will find that they feel able to tell the truth about their assessments of Nando. The only one I know who broke cover at the time was Martin Allen. He summed up his thoughts on the subject by saying, "Torres, not having him. Not having him at all."

Wether you regard his time at Liverpool a rare patch in his career or not, that Torres was a beast. He was pretty good at Athletico too.

4 minutes ago, DDA said:

Wether you regard his time at Liverpool a rare patch in his career or not, that Torres was a beast. He was pretty good at Athletico too.

We'll always differ on this I suspect. I know I'm right, and you know I'm wrong so there we'll have to leave it.

I am right though. :)

3 hours ago, killer1257 said:

You really need to watch those games again. :)

5 hours ago, killer1257 said:

I am pretty sure stats show that Werner is way faster than prime Torres.