Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

6 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

What a horror loan that was, same with Falcao. What the hell convinced JM that he would be up to it seeing how horrible he was at udt.

he was still injured, not fit

look at what he did after us and when he was healthy again at Monaco

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/06/18/werner-turned-down-champions-league-quarter-finals-chance-say-leipzig/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Leipzig confirm it was Werner's decision to not play in the CL quarter finals because he wants to prepare and settle in for the new season with us.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/06/18/werner-turned-down-champions-league-quarter-finals-chance-say-leipzig/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Leipzig confirm it was Werner's decision to not play in the CL quarter finals because he wants to prepare and settle in for the new season with us.
Makes sense and I would have done the same. But many German Comments on the internet did not like his decision

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Understood ...

I don't believe we've signed players who can be expected to become world superstars, but I do think we've signed good players who will produce for us. Whether we have bargains or not can't be judged yet.

Twelve months ago Arsenal fans were jumping about Pepe and and how little they were reported to have paid for him. They completely overlooked the fact that, had he been as good as they wanted to imagine he is, they'd never have been able to sign him. Bigger, better sides would have wanted him. and one of them would have taken him. In our case, if Liverpool had really wanted Timo they'd have paid up and the message he posted earlier today would have been addressed to Liverpool fans. We have to be realistic, and temper our expectations.

I'm pleased with our summer window so far, but I'm not judging the value for money of our signings yet.

I don't recall Arsenal fans saying they signed Pepe for cheap but more the case that for a team who apparently had a limited budget ended up spending a lot of money on one player. They managed to do in instalments. The fee was very high and I don't see how any Arsenal fans can say £72m for Pepe is cheap, even at this point last season. They were happy with the transfer because he had produced brilliant numbers at Lille and I thought he would be really good there too.

My point is right now it is a bargain. Ziyech has been brilliant for the past few seasons for Ajax. Also produced in the UCL for past 2 seasons as well against top teams. £33m for me is a bargain. If he does not live up to expectations then you can say the transfer week has not worked out but his market value is a lot higher than £33m.

Werner too. We have bought him for around £45m which is a bargain. His current market value and considering other fees players have gone for, it is a bargain because at this moment in speaking, we have bought two players who have been exceptional for low fees. Pepe had one season where he was outstanding. Werner has been scoring goals for fun in the Bundesliga for what? The last 3 seasons. So even if that does not work out, at the time we have bought the two players it is for a bargain.

Regarding your point about if a player was that why weren't bigger clubs after him, I disagree. You see this with top players all the time. Why did no other team compete with Arsenal to sign Aubameyang? Why did no other big team team apart from Liverpool put in a bid for Van Dijk? Why did not no other big teams go for Bruno Fernandes? Other big clubs not going for a player does not mean that they are not that good. It can mean that they are focusing on other areas or just don't need the player as much.

17 minutes ago, Stats said:

I don't recall Arsenal fans saying they signed Pepe for cheap but more the case that for a team who apparently had a limited budget ended up spending a lot of money on one player. They managed to do in instalments. The fee was very high and I don't see how any Arsenal fans can say £72m for Pepe is cheap, even at this point last season. They were happy with the transfer because he had produced brilliant numbers at Lille and I thought he would be really good there too.

My point is right now it is a bargain. Ziyech has been brilliant for the past few seasons for Ajax. Also produced in the UCL for past 2 seasons as well against top teams. £33m for me is a bargain. If he does not live up to expectations then you can say the transfer week has not worked out but his market value is a lot higher than £33m.

Werner too. We have bought him for around £45m which is a bargain. His current market value and considering other fees players have gone for, it is a bargain because at this moment in speaking, we have bought two players who have been exceptional for low fees. Pepe had one season where he was outstanding. Werner has been scoring goals for fun in the Bundesliga for what? The last 3 seasons. So even if that does not work out, at the time we have bought the two players it is for a bargain.

Regarding your point about if a player was that why weren't bigger clubs after him, I disagree. You see this with top players all the time. Why did no other team compete with Arsenal to sign Aubameyang? Why did no other big team team apart from Liverpool put in a bid for Van Dijk? Why did not no other big teams go for Bruno Fernandes? Other big clubs not going for a player does not mean that they are not that good. It can mean that they are focusing on other areas or just don't need the player as much.

Absolute bargain theres no doubt about that....feels like an eternity we last was this astute and fast-working getting quality players in.

Tottenham Hotspur fans react as RB Leipzig troll club after Timo Werner signs for Chelsea

https://sportslens.com/tottenham-hotspur-fans-react-as-rb-leipzig-troll-club-after-timo-werner-signs-for-chelsea/301161/

RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner is set to join Chelsea at the end of the Bundesliga campaign, and the German side couldn’t help but throw a jibe a Tottenham Hotspur via their Twitter handle during one of their announcements.

Julian Nagelsmann’s side ran out 4-0 winners on aggregate in the Champions League last-16 at the expense of Spurs in March, with Werner scoring from the spot at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the first-leg in February.

Leipzig were quick to remind Chelsea fans that the Germany international has no difficulty finding the back of the net against their London rivals, and it didn’t go down well with some Tottenham fans.

Here is how they reacted to the jibe:

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Twelve months ago Arsenal fans were jumping about Pepe and and how little they were reported to have paid for him. They completely overlooked the fact that, had he been as good as they wanted to imagine he is, they'd never have been able to sign him. Bigger, better sides would have wanted him. and one of them would have taken him. 

I disagree with that statement. Salah is a very good example. He wasn't unknown player and pool got him with decent fee and I don't have to tell you about the result.

2 hours ago, Stats said:

I don't recall Arsenal fans saying they signed Pepe for cheap

There was a video in which several AFTV regulars were raving about the Pepe deal. They talked about it being the biggest deal of the summer but how, relative to the quality of the player and the list of clubs who were said to have been in for him, they had done a great deal on the fee. In essence they were saying what you're saying now; they felt they had a bargain.

I was like you, I'd have liked Pepe to come here, and was unhappy that another PL club got him instead. A deal can only be judged a bargain if the player meets or exceeds expectations however. They spoke too soon last summer, and I'm suggesting that we should avoid doing so now. I remember those Arsenal fans being absolutely stoked that they'd 'beaten' all the top clubs in Europe to capture the Lille man. None of them stopped to wonder, "Hold on a minute, why have we beaten them?" I'm suggesting we at least bear that question in mind.

2 hours ago, Stats said:

Why did no other team compete with Arsenal to sign Aubameyang? Why did no other big team team apart from Liverpool put in a bid for Van Dijk?

Not factually accurate. We were reported to have made an offer for Van Dijk for example.

The plain truth is that if Liverpool had wanted Werner they'd have paid the fee and satisfied him about the game time he could expect. They did not want him enough to make the deal happen however, and there is a reason for that. Perhaps it's as simple as they believe that their existing front three will all be ahead of Timo for the big games. Fair enough, but that is at least one club whose assessment puts a firm ceiling on expectations for Timo's contribution.

There is a reason no club who Timo might have preferred to play for pushed through a deal for him. This is an inescapable truth. I like Timo, but let's not go overboard with our expectations.

7 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

There was a video in which several AFTV regulars were raving about the Pepe deal. They talked about it being the biggest deal of the summer but how, relative to the quality of the player and the list of clubs who were said to have been in for him, they had done a great deal on the fee. In essence they were saying what you're saying now; they felt they had a bargain.

I was like you, I'd have liked Pepe to come here, and was unhappy that another PL club got him instead. A deal can only be judged a bargain if the player meets or exceeds expectations however. They spoke too soon last summer, and I'm suggesting that we should avoid doing so now. I remember those Arsenal fans being absolutely stoked that they'd 'beaten' all the top clubs in Europe to capture the Lille man. None of them stopped to wonder, "Hold on a minute, why have we beaten them?" I'm suggesting we at least bear that question in mind.

Just because Arsenal fans said so, it doesn't mean it is TBH. If anything, it is delusional to consider spending 70 million on a player to be a bargain. Liverpool spent that amount on Van Dijk and he has done well for them but no one is calling him a bargain because spending that amount on someone is just out of the norm, even if the transfer market is busted these days. You are either a total success or a flop if you spend that kind of money on someone. Different case altogether if you spend less than 50 million on players who have actually proven themselves consistently beyond one season. The Premier League will be a different league than what Werner is used to in the Bundesliga or Ziyech in the Eredivisie but at least they have some track record. Pepe had only 1-2 good seasons.

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The plain truth is that if Liverpool had wanted Werner they'd have paid the fee and satisfied him about the game time he could expect.

But Liverpool couldn't pay the fee because of the financial constraints. As Klopp said, how would Liverpool explain to their staff and players that they spend 50-60 million on a player, after furloughing them and asking them as well as the players to take a pay cut etc? Am sure if this pandemic hadn't happened, Werner would have been a Liverpool player by now but since this pandemic unfortunately happened, it presented us with the opportunity to get him and we took it.