Mikel comes of age

FT.com

Mikel comes of age playing it safe in midfield

When Michael Essien suffered knee ligament damage playing for Ghana in the first week of September, there were sharp intakes of breath at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea had just offloaded the ageing Claude Makelele to Paris St-Germain and the injury to Essien left them with only the talented but erratic Mikel Jon Obi to operate as a holding midfielder.

And no side needs a holding midfielder as much as Chelsea. Whether in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3, their gameplan this season is based on the fluidity of a host of attacking midfield talents, supplemented by the surges from full-back of Jose Bosingwa on the right and either Ashley Cole or Wayne Bridge on the left – and that requires ballast. Even Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack, two of their more complete midfielders, are better players when they can make late runs into the box, safe in the knowledge that there is cover behind them.

Far from being a weak link, however, Mikel has thrived. Middlesbrough were inexcusably lethargic in losing 5-0 at home to Chelsea last week but they are not the only team unable to settle against Luiz Felipe Scolari’s side this season. There is a sharpness in their pressing and a precision in their passing and movement that renders other teams sluggish. From the point of view of stopping other teams playing, that stems from Mikel. He may not be Chelsea’s best player of the season so far – although he would be on a shortlist – but he is almost certainly their most improved.

In his two previous seasons at Chelsea, Mikel has had an unfortunate tendency to lose discipline on the big occasion. It is not just that the 21-year-old has collected four red cards but also that three of them have come in high-profile games – one in a League Cup semi-final against Everton, one in the League Cup final against Arsenal, and one in the Premier League against Manchester United last season in Avram Grant’s first game as manager.

Mikel did pick up a booking in the 1-1 draw with United at Stamford Bridge this season and he will be tested again against Liverpool tomorrow, particularly if, as seems likely, Steven Gerrard is passed fit to play. With Fernando Torres suffering a strained hamstring and Robbie Keane a doubt with a groin injury, it seems likely Liverpool will start with a 4-2-3-1, with Gerrard behind Dirk Kuyt, and that means Mikel having to track the Liverpool captain.

What is curious is that, when he first emerged, Mikel – his name is actually Michael but he adopted the alternative after a misspelling at a youth tournament in Scandinavia – looked as though he was going to be a great creator. His quality in that regard was obvious to those who saw his international debut, aged 18, for Nigeria in Port Said in the 2006 African Cup of Nations.

Without club football as the contractual battle for his services dragged on, he came off the bench just after half-time with his country struggling to break down Zimbabwe. Seizing the dead-ball duties, it was his corner from which Christian Obodo headed the opener and, then, three minutes later, he meandered infield from the left, fooled defender and goalkeeper with a feint to shoot, and then calmly curved a 20-yard finish inside the right-hand post.

His captain, the Everton defender Joseph Yobo, compared his composure to that of the teenaged Wayne Rooney, while Nigeria’s assistant coach Daniel Amokachi, noting his versatility across midfield, called him “unique”. The most glowing tribute, though, came from the forward Jay-Jay Okocha. “His kind of player is very rare, a natural talent,” he said. “He is maybe the best I have ever seen.”

Perhaps now we are beginning to see the accuracy of that judgment.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I notice about Mikel is that he also wants to get forward and not sit back like Maka used to. You seen him several times during the Roma game bursting forward and trying to make things happen.

Just a shame he has a shot on him like Geoff Thomas.

In ten years time, I think we will be talking about the Mikel position rather than the Makelele position, with all respect to the little man - potentially, Mikel could become one of the greatest players in the world.

He's good, but I think you might be getting a bit carried away. He definately has the potential, but how many players actually fulfill that potential ?

Most improved along with Ashley Cole and Kalou.

You could even add Malouda to that list.

When i watch Mikel he reminds me of a young Patrick Vieira in his early Arsenal Days.

He has a very long way to go before his even at the level Makelele used to play, people forget his only what 21?

You could even add Malouda to that list.

When i watch Mikel he reminds me of a young Patrick Vieira in his early Arsenal Days.

He has a very long way to go before his even at the level Makelele used to play, people forget his only what 21?

I still have my doubts about Malouda. He has looked a better player, but he still looks half the player he was for Lyon.

To be just 21 and stand out in a midfield that boasts of Deco, Ballack Lampard Essien, is something. The lad is special. I still remeber his deft pass to lampard which resulted in Drogba scoring the Extra Time Winner against man Utd in Finals of the FA Cup. Awsome Talent...could be a great player if he keeps his head in place.

As Jim Mentioned. Everything about him reminds me of Patrcik Viera.