Coronaviral

Vesper

7 minutes ago, chippy said:

Numbers of deaths in the UK now starting to rise very sharply and at this rate we're heading for Italy and Spain numbers.

as predicted :(

so many (NOT saying you m8 or anyone on this board) have been in denial

Sweden is a fucking nightmare due to our governments refusal to close it all down, and the USa is FUCKED

multiple experts have been on telly over there saying the best case scenario for the yanks is around 500K/600K dead, but it could be as high as 5 or 6 million fatalities in the ultimate nightmare scenario

so many of the Red states (or the ones with Republican governors like Florida) are refusing to shut down and Trump is aiming to declare 'all clear' on Easter

it is madness

The UK is going to be hit hard as well, tragically

TBH, this board has been the most rational place on the internet in terms of coronavirus, and I on on a shedload of places

I think it is becuase we are so deep into analysis and risk/reward computations, and to slide it over from footie to pandemic matters is fairly natural

The GPMB  -Global Preparedness Monitoring Board is led by former World Health Organisation (WHO) director-general and past Norwegian prime minister, Gro Harlem Brundtland.

It warned Governments in 2018 

‘A quick-moving pathogen has the potential to kill tens of millions of people, disrupt economies and destabilise national security. 

a future pandemic similar to the Spanish flu could spread faster than ever before due to modern advances in international travel, the document said.

It could take just 36 hours for an airborne illness to travel around the world and kill 80,000,000 people,'

Government really ought to pay attention to them.....

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

as predicted :(

so many (NOT saying you m8 or anyone on this board) have been in denial

Sweden is a fucking nightmare due to our governments refusal to close it all down, and the USa is FUCKED

multiple experts have been on telly over there saying the best case scenario for the yanks is around 500K/600K dead, but it could be as high as 5 or 6 million fatalities in the ultimate nightmare scenario

so many of the Red states (or the ones with Republican governors like Florida) are refusing to shut down and Trump is aiming to declare 'all clear' on Easter

it is madness

The UK is going to be hit hard as well, tragically

I don't want to sound cold, but what would be hard though?

We lost 28,000 to flu 5 years ago and averaged out of years we lose about 17,000 a year, yet we almost take these loses as something which happens each year. 

Again, I don't want to sound cold, but if we in the UK  can keep the numbers to somewhere near the high level of flu deaths we had 5 years ago and have the "herd immunity" that we need for the future, then as terribly sad as that number of loses would be, I would see that as good an outcome as we could hope for.

3 minutes ago, chippy said:

I don't want to sound cold, but what would be hard though?

We lost 28,000 to flu 5 years ago and averaged out of years we lose about 17,000 a year, yet we almost take these loses as something which happens each year. 

Again, I don't want to sound cold, but if we in the UK  can keep the numbers to somewhere near the high level of flu deaths we had 5 years ago and have the "herd immunity" that we need for the future, then as terribly sad as that number of loses would be, I would see that as good an outcome as we could hope for.

unfortunately I think thsi is going to far exceed the flu deaths and also we have no clue if there will be a herd immunity effect

that all said

there WILL be a vaccine

it is just a matter of how fast they can make it

I would think by next winter would be the soonest

next up to watch btw

is South America, as they are now entering fall soon and I expect cases to explode there over the next several months

I think the main thing that is about to happen that will FREAK people out is when they (meaning the EU nations not already there and the US/Canada) start to hit peak ventilator penetration levels, and they start to have far too few

that is when granny gets death triaged,(ie no ventilator for her) when a normal healthy 35yo who has it super bad gets death triaged

that is when the panic will kick in as people will finally realise that they cannot just wander into the doc and it will all be alright

In Louisiana, the state’s reportedly facing the fastest growth in new cases...in the world. Looking at you, Mardi Gras. The rest of the US isn’t doing much better. Lately, cases there have surpassed cases in China and Italy - meaning the US now has more known coronavirus cases (over 85,000) than any other country worldwide. Not good. 

It’s Easy to Feel Overwhelmed, but It’s Critical to Remember the Good, Experts Say

Bright spots and gleams of hope do exist, epidemiologists and other experts say, and it’s important to remember them to stay resilient in difficult times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/us/coronavirus-good-news-kindness.html

I've just been watching a talkradio video on YouTube about the live animal markets in China.

Truly fucking obscene what's going on there and no surprise the virus broke out in Wuhan where there's a specially notorious market.

If anything, Trump has been very diplomatic in just calling it the Chinese virus.

As Dan Wooten said in the video, they have blood on their hands over this!