• Jorginho
    • Mount
    • Barkley
    • Giroud
    • Willian (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

To play devils advocate Liverpool and City are even better than Bayern and we matched both and were extremely unlucky to come away with nothing. Infact apart from the United games and Ajax at home we've probably been the better side in every big game this season.

You remind me of my son when he first played for his school football team. He'd say we lost 2-0 but we were really unlucky Smithy hit the bar, Jonesy had one cleared off the line we had two disallowed goals. It used to happen quite a lot and I'd just say never mind mate you'll win you're next game.

When Chelsea are the better team and lose I take no comfort in that at all it's nothing to feel good about it's the polar opposite. And what happened against Liverpool and City means fuck all tomorrow. Again it's playground analysis it's like a kid saying we beat Spurs yesterday so we'll definitely beat Bournemouth Saturday. 

Lampard's press conference. '' How do you see tomorrow's game going Frank ?''.

Lampard : '' Well we played well against Man City and Liverpool so we'll be fine''.

Press : ''But you lost those games''.

Lampard: ''But that's irrelevant all that matters is we played well''.

Press : So playing well against two English teams in the league means you can equate that to playing against a German team in a different competition much more loaded atmosphere, more intensity and more high profile game '' ?

Lampard : Yes of course anyway I've got to go Christine's just rang my dinner's ready.

6 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

You remind me of my son when he first played for his school football team. He'd say we lost 2-0 but we were really unlucky Smithy hit the bar, Jonesy had one cleared off the line we had two disallowed goals. It used to happen quite a lot and I'd just say never mind mate you'll win you're next game.

While we're in the spirit of honesty you remind me of the spoilt 12 year old United fans when I was at school who want it all and want it now and spit their dummy out when they don't get it.

Its your type of mentality and lack of patience that lost us De Bruyne.

9 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

You remind me of my son when he first played for his school football team. He'd say we lost 2-0 but we were really unlucky Smithy hit the bar, Jonesy had one cleared off the line we had two disallowed goals. It used to happen quite a lot and I'd just say never mind mate you'll win you're next game.When Chelsea are the better team and lose I take no comfort in that at all it's nothing to feel good about it's the polar opposite.

As I said I never said I was happy with the result against Arsenal, that's just you twisting my words to suit the stigma you're trying to build on me.

For example, say against Bayern we are the better team and we are going into injury time 1-0 up, are you that narrow minded your opinion on whether the first 90 minutes were good or shit come down to whether we concede or don't in injury time?

21 minutes ago, Tomo said:

While we're in the spirit of honesty you remind me of the spoilt 12 year old United fans when I was at school who want it all and want it now and spit their dummy out when they don't get it

I've been going to Chelsea for 45 years when you were just a glint in the milkman's eye and have seen us nearly relegated to the third division so I hardly fit the category of spoiled. I've seen some dreadful teams and dreadful Chelsea players in some shithole grounds all over England and abroad the furthest you've been to watch Chelsea is carrying your laptop from your kitchen to your bedroom to do you're geeky musings about high press, pivots, double pivots etc.

Let me guess, you have "but this isn't Jupp or Pep's Bayern" templated ready just incase we go through?

Nothing to do with that. If you read my post above, I believe we actually have a good chance if we take our chances. Atalanta would have personally been trickier opponents despite the consensus around here. 

The fact you believe we've been the better team in ALL of our big games (aside from those you mentioned) is what gets me. I really do love your enthusiasm for the team/club, but you need to be honest with yourself every so often.

36 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

The fact you believe we've been the better team in ALL of our big games (aside from those you mentioned) is what gets me. I really do love your enthusiasm for the team/club, but you need to be honest with yourself every so often.

Tomo has a knack of overselling opposing big teams/underselling our capabilities, IMO. 

43 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Nothing to do with that. If you read my post above, I believe we actually have a good chance if we take our chances. Atalanta would have personally been trickier opponents despite the consensus around here. 

On reflection I'll probably give that I was a bit too hasty with City but if we look at the others.

Liverpool, the team that's likely to become the best team in PL history had to park a double decker to get the win, the crowd happily adknowleged how well they played at full time.

Ajax, outplayed last season's semi finalist (admittedly without the star man from that run) in their own stadium.

Better side on all four occasions against the North London clubs (bar the first 30 minutes at The Emirates).

Furthermore, my initial post was in response to someone fearing we will get spanked. Even if I was wrong about what i said I don't think there's any argument that we've shown enough in the big games to show we can make a tie of it against Bayern, at the very least.

Just now, Tomo said:

Ajax, outplayed last season's semi finalist (admittedly without the star man from that run) in their own stadium.

In their last 7 European home games, Ajax have won only once (vs Lille) and lost 4 of those games. While we did play well and were the better team that night in Amsterdam, I'm not sure why you keep on bigging up this Ajax side like they were the Ajax from 70s or 90s. This Ajax is good, but not that good as you keep making them out to be. 

59 minutes ago, Jason said:

In their last 7 European home games, Ajax have won only once (vs Lille) and lost 4 of those games. While we did play well and were the better team that night in Amsterdam, I'm not sure why you keep on bigging up this Ajax side like they were the Ajax from 70s or 90s. This Ajax is good, but not that good as you keep making them out to be. 

That would make a lot of sense if I actually was.

If we're going to down this route of basing the level of big game/achievement of result based on the teams record, then can I raise winning 5-2 at a Wolves side that scalp big teams as a hobby?

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Then quite frankly that makes it even worse that you're offering no leeway to a team who lost their game changer and are trying to rebuild with academy players (most of whom playing their first season in a major league).

If Bayern narrowly beat us over two legs say 3-4 and we more than match them, will I be happy and walking round going "woo woo we lost 3-4"? Ofcourse not and I'll probably be even more gutted than usual given we ran them so close, but would I be proud of our young lads for going toe to toe against one of Europe's best sides at the first time (a big European knockout tie) of asking? Absolutely, and I can confidently predict more would be than won't, even on here.

We're Chelsea not fucking Bristol Rovers we should give a good account of ourselves that's a given. If Giroud plays tomorrow and Willian instead of Mount then apart from Reece James how is that a team full of youngsters ?.

59 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

We're Chelsea not fucking Bristol Rovers we should give a good account of ourselves that's a given. If Giroud plays tomorrow and Willian instead of Mount then apart from Reece James how is that a team full of youngsters ?.

It's not realistic to expect us to lose a game changer and rebuild with multiple young players and challenge the elite immediately. 

Rooney and Ronaldo are two of the best player's of the previous era. They had Scholes, Rio, Giggs, RVN, VDS (who were all better then than anything we currently have now bar Kante if he gets his level back) and were being trained by the best ever manager and even then they needed time to be ready to lead United to title challenges. Our boys have a manager in a similar boat to them and no serious top leaders to guide them, we could be Real Madrid and it would still be unrealistic (if not unreasonable) to ask that there's no growing pains.

On reflection I'll probably give that I was a bit too hasty with City but if we look at the others.

Liverpool, the team that's likely to become the best team in PL history had to park a double decker to get the win, the crowd happily adknowleged how well they played at full time.

Better side on all four occasions against the North London clubs (bar the first 30 minutes at The Emirates).

Furthermore, my initial post was in response to someone fearing we will get spanked. Even if I was wrong about what i said I don't think there's any argument that we've shown enough in the big games to show we can make a tie of it against Bayern, at the very least.

If we classify big games on importance, we should have lost by 4+ in the Mestalla.

I completely agree with the latter; there is enough in this team to progress despite the odds being against us.

Just now, Tomo said:

That would make a lot of sense if I actually was.

Considering the number of times you have talked up that Ajax win, you sure seem to be implying that. 

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

If we're going to down this route of basing the level of big game/achievement of result based on the teams record, then can I raise winning 5-2 at a Wolves side that scalp big teams as a hobby?

That might actually carry more merit but that being said, the constant overselling the good B-tier teams from you is maddening to say the least. I know we are not near being the best right now but we used to measure ourselves against the very best sides but now, performances/results against the good B-tier sides are being talked up like a 1000 times, like some sort of grand achievement. <_<