Hakim Ziyech

Jase

1 hour ago, Jason said:

A manager who builds a team only around ONE player is a bad manager. #justsayin

I don't necessarily think the team has been built in that way, but I think Ziyech's influence is sending the team down that route if Lampard doesn't make some changes.

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I don't necessarily think the team has been built in that way, but I think Ziyech's influence is sending the team down that route if Lampard doesn't make some changes.

I don't think we are built for Ziyech per se. It is just Pulisic + Werner doesn't really work. The moment ziyech got injured and we played puli + Werner everything went downhill. 

53 minutes ago, communicate said:

I don't think we are built for Ziyech per se. It is just Pulisic + Werner doesn't really work. The moment ziyech got injured and we played puli + Werner everything went downhill. 

So in other words, we are built around Ziyech? Because the moment he got injured, Lampard couldn't find another way to make things work. Still tried to persist with the same system, despite putting square pegs in round holes and some clear tactical issues. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

So in other words, we are built around Ziyech? Because the moment he got injured, Lampard couldn't find another way to make things work. Still tried to persist with the same system, despite putting square pegs in round holes and some clear tactical issues. 

I definitely believe the effectiveness of Werner playing from the left is linked to the availability of Ziyech. When Ziyech has played, Werner looks a better player from the left because his strengths of playing there (drifting into the spaces from left to centre) also suit Ziyech being a left footed right sided player who is always looking to cut inside and play a ball through or an inverted cross to the back post where Werner should be looking to get into.

Like you said though, in Ziyech's absence Lampard should have addressed this. I think the penny has dropped now, but it took Everton, Wolves and half of Arsenal to realise this.

35 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Like you said though, in Ziyech's absence Lampard should have addressed this. I think the penny has dropped now, but it took Everton, Wolves and half of Arsenal to realise this.

Has it though for Lampard? The Villa game really doesn't count because we played 2 games in 3 days, there's fatigue and the fact that Werner didn't play well at Arsenal.

35 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I definitely believe the effectiveness of Werner playing from the left is linked to the availability of Ziyech. When Ziyech has played, Werner looks a better player from the left because his strengths of playing there (drifting into the spaces from left to centre) also suit Ziyech being a left footed right sided player who is always looking to cut inside and play a ball through or an inverted cross to the back post where Werner should be looking to get into.

Even then, Werner was still used like a winger and nothing comes from his side in terms of chances (not his forte to create chances like a winger). It's just all about him getting on the end of chances, which is good and all if there are chances. But if opposing team shuts down Ziyech or Ziyech has a stinker (like against Spurs), then what? We can criticize Werner for missing chances because that's on him but otherwise, he's not given the tactical platform to showcase what he can do, showcase what he did at Leipzig. Werner did his best work in Germany as a second striker but Lampard seems insistent on playing him as a winger. Never mind missing chances, his attacking numbers - e.g. shots inside the box - have gone down while his defensive numbers have gone up compared to last season. Even when Lampard played Werner upfront like against Villa, we still tried to spam crosses into the box for him. 

On 12/31/2020 at 3:40 PM, Jason said:

I think it is more of lamp thinking our winger are super versatile and pretty much plug n play and clearly they aren't. 

2 hours ago, communicate said:

I think it is more of lamp thinking our winger are super versatile and pretty much plug n play and clearly they aren't. 

What's that word again for someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Clueless? 

Souness on Ziyech yesterday...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/03/chelsea-news-graeme-souness-blasts-hakim-ziyech-man-city-defeat-premier-league-13841261/

‘Just watch Ziyech. He wanders in, watch him! Big players don’t act like that. He needs to sprint back as fast as he can.

‘They don’t stand and watch the game like this. “It’s not my problem, it’s someone else’s problem.”

‘I’m not saying he’s going to race back and make the difference but he needs to get back. Kevin de Bruyne has followed up, he still wants to be part of it.

‘I’m sure when Frank sees that he will point it out to Ziyech that he just cannot do that.’ 
Souness added: ‘He wasn’t bothered. He didn’t do the basics. He pretends he slips. What does that say about me as a player?

‘I’m not saying he would have prevented the goal but you never know. That must be happening in training and as a manager you have to point it out. 

‘In proper teams, that never happens. We’re now in January, he’s been then since the summer. That can’t happen in the big leagues.’

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

If anyone is gonna mention that Ziyech wasn't 100% fit, then one has to question why did Lampard even start him to begin with. 

He is one of the players who I worry will just up and leave if we continue to play shit football. He didnt come here to be part of the slump we are in. His lack of interest during the City game only reinforces the fact.

I remember earlier on in the season during one of his MOTM interviews where he hinted that his passing helped cover for deficiencies in the rest of the teams play. 

47 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

He is one of the players who I worry will just up and leave if we continue to play shit football. He didnt come here to be part of the slump we are in. His lack of interest during the City game only reinforces the fact.

I remember earlier on in the season during one of his MOTM interviews where he hinted that his passing helped cover for deficiencies in the rest of the teams play. 

He has 4.5 years left on his contract. He can’t just leave without fetching a hefty transfer fee

49 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

He is one of the players who I worry will just up and leave if we continue to play shit football. He didnt come here to be part of the slump we are in. 

You could say the same for the rest...

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

Is Ziyech for Tuchel what Cho was for Lampard?

I think he spoke with him and probably with Kai and Puli. Remember how Puli become better than ever after Frank dropped him for a couple of weeks?

I think this is what TT is doing with them at the moment.