Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Gaming discussion #2

LAM09
Followers 2

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh yes! Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a MUST have for every Switch user! It is one of the best games EVER. There are lots to do, explore and enjoy in the game. The graphics and gameplay are so fantastic. I played at least every 3-4 hours per day and it took me about 2-3 weeks to finish the game. 

The 3D Zelda games are good, especially from the Gamecube era and onwards. Wasnt a fan of the 2D ones on SNES. Metroid series on Switch are worth it too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nintendo are clearly the most innovative of the main console developers and more prepared to take risks. The Nintendo DS with the additional touch screen, Wii with the motion control, and now the Swit

Each to their own, but IMO the PS exclusives have been far better than Xbox's. 

10 hours ago, Atomiswave said:

The 3D Zelda games are good, especially from the Gamecube era and onwards. Wasnt a fan of the 2D ones on SNES. Metroid series on Switch are worth it too.

I loved Zelda link to the past on the SNES but I guess that's the era I grew up in. My first ever console was the NES and I still love a lot of the games (although some really show their age now).

I have a handheld console that's got all the old console games and old arcade (MAME) games loaded on it through to PS1 and Dreamcast. 

It's bloody hard mind getting my kids to like some of them with the graphics they have compared to those today, unless it's something that they can relate to nowadays like Mario.

If anyone likes retro games, I highly recommend Bucky O Hare on the NES. It was my favourite cartoon growing up so it could have been shit and I probably would have loved it, but in my opinion it's one of the better platformers of its time that didn't get any real credit it should have and the ability to use different characters with different abilities was quite a novel thing back then.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I loved Zelda link to the past on the SNES but I guess that's the era I grew up in. My first ever console was the NES and I still love a lot of the games (although some really show their age now).

I have a handheld console that's got all the old console games and old arcade (MAME) games loaded on it through to PS1 and Dreamcast. 

It's bloody hard mind getting my kids to like some of them with the graphics they have compared to those today, unless it's something that they can relate to nowadays like Mario.

If anyone likes retro games, I highly recommend Bucky O Hare on the NES. It was my favourite cartoon growing up so it could have been shit and I probably would have loved it, but in my opinion it's one of the better platformers of its time that didn't get any real credit it should have and the ability to use different characters with different abilities was quite a novel thing back then.

Snes was quality as was Mega drive, old Zelda are good just not my style. You have dreamcast too? Thats quality man, I still have mine too. Heck I even got my Amiga 500 somewhere lol. Yeah kids dont fly with the retro, where as us  older heads love them. When people were raving on PS1 I would much rather game 2D games. Never understood PS1, just looked crap too me, pixilated mess.

7 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Snes was quality as was Mega drive, old Zelda are good just not my style. You have dreamcast too? Thats quality man, I still have mine too. Heck I even got my Amiga 500 somewhere lol. Yeah kids dont fly with the retro, where as us  older heads love them. When people were raving on PS1 I would much rather game 2D games. Never understood PS1, just looked crap too me, pixilated mess.

Yeah you can pick up these things on the internet, retro pi consoles and in recent times they've managed to move these on to handhelds consoles too, a little like a Nintendo DS. They are the sort of kit worth investing in if you like retro gaming and with the size of the older games it's easy to fit multiple consoles with a full library on to memory cards, etc.

Loved the NES and SNES. I never had a Sega console when I was younger although obviously played the likes of Sonic and Streets of Rage around friend's houses. Similarly never opted for an X Box.

I was and am always Nintendo and Sony.

There was no doubt some classics on the PS1 mind. The Oddworld games felt very unique as a 2D side scrolling puzzler rather than straight platformer.

The Crash Bandicoot series was good too, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc.

One of my all time favourite games is Little Big Adventure on the PC and they managed to port that perfectly on to the PS1 in my opinion.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yeah you can pick up these things on the internet, retro pi consoles and in recent times they've managed to move these on to handhelds consoles too, a little like a Nintendo DS. They are the sort of kit worth investing in if you like retro gaming and with the size of the older games it's easy to fit multiple consoles with a full library on to memory cards, etc.

Loved the NES and SNES. I never had a Sega console when I was younger although obviously played the likes of Sonic and Streets of Rage around friend's houses. Similarly never opted for an X Box.

There was no doubt some classics on the PS1 mind. The Oddworld games felt very unique as a 2D side scrolling puzzler rather than straight platformer.

The Crash Bandicoot series was good too, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc.

One of my all time favourite games is Little Big Adventure on the PC and they managed to port that perfectly on to the PS1 in my opinion.

SPACEWAR! WAS THE WORLD'S FIRST VIDEO GAME

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/firsts-spacewar-was-the-worlds-first-video-game

Two full decades before the glory days of the arcade video game boom in the early '80s and ten years before gamers began pumping quarters into Atari's hypnotic Pong machines, a revolutionary game called Spacewar! was born.

Spacewar! is one of the earliest known digital computer video games and the first science fiction-themed game in the galaxy. Created by Steve "Slug" Russell, Martin "Shag" Graetz, and Wayne Wiitanen from their fictional "Hingham Institute," the hacker team first devised the game concept in 1961 for deployment on a newfangled DEC PDP-1 computer installed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

spacewarconsole.png

even earlier (1958)

Tennis For Two

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/54504/first-video-game-released-day-58-years-ago/index.html

What is considered to be the first video game - Tennis for Two, was released on this day, October 18th, 1958. American physicist William Higinbotham and technician Robert V. Dvorak, who created the game, displayed it on an oscilloscope and played with two custom aluminum controllers.

The game was pretty simple - it was rendered as a horizontal line, representing the tennis court, and a vertical line in the center, representing the tennis net. It was designed for two players, as the game says, who would hit and point the ball with a button on their controller.

The game was very popular at the Brookhaven National Laboratory's annual three-day public exhibition, with players lining up to see the game, especially high school students.

first-video-game-released-day-58-years-ago_01

and finally

The earliest known interactive electronic game is considered to be a cathode-ray tube amusement device, patented by Thomas T. Goldsmith Jr. and Estle Ray Mann in 1947. The device simulates artillery fire that throws its target on the CRT screen, coupled with an oscilloscope, and which is controlled by the switch. This was a completely analog device without memory or program.

Cathode-ray-tube-Amusement-Device.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone have or played the new Crash Team Racing game? 

Is it just a remake of the old game, or a proper new game in itself? 

I quite liked the original on the PlayStation but Mario Kart has continuously evolved and improved over time, I don't know how good this will be compared to that?

On ‎29‎-‎01‎-‎2020 at 1:48 PM, Superblue_1986 said:

Ohh man Street of rage series was the bomb, we played the shit of the second one, proper game at that time. Yeah SNES was quality all wround, plenty of games to enjoy. But I must say I never taken a liking to these games on micro-cards etc, I much rather have the original shit. My nr 1 is still my Neo-Geo system, the carts are like 5 times the size of a Snes, arcade perfect ports, but man you better be ready to pay for it. Games can easily go for several thousand Pounds, the most expensive go for like 100k, crazy really. If you want one of the best 2d gaming then thats the system. PS1 had many good games but never owned one, Gamecube was very good too. Im waiting to see what PS5 has to offer, very very advanced for a console it seems.

• Like 2

Anyone have or played the new Crash Team Racing game? 
Is it just a remake of the old game, or a proper new game in itself? 
I quite liked the original on the PlayStation but Mario Kart has continuously evolved and improved over time, I don't know how good this will be compared to that?

I have it but haven't played much after notable teething issues with online at launch & a few months after.

It's a complete remake of the original game - has the whole "story mode", every character to appear in any Crash Kart game has been available at a point (certain characters become available at times which you can purchase with in game currency or £) and is regularly updated.

I've only played Mario Kart games on handheld, so I couldn't give you an answer on the last one.
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I have it but haven't played much after notable teething issues with online at launch & a few months after.

It's a complete remake of the original game - has the whole "story mode", every character to appear in any Crash Kart game has been available at a point (certain characters become available at times which you can purchase with in game currency or £) and is regularly updated.

I've only played Mario Kart games on handheld, so I couldn't give you an answer on the last one.

I guess the question is - is it worth buying (would plan to buy on the Switch if that makes any difference)?

47 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Ohh man Street of rage series was the bomb, we played the shit of the second one, proper game at that time. Yeah SNES was quality all wround, plenty of games to enjoy. But I must say I never taken a liking to these games on micro-cards etc, I much rather have the original shit. My nr 1 is still my Neo-Geo system, the carts are like 5 times the size of a Snes, arcade perfect ports, but man you better be ready to pay for it. Games can easily go for several thousand Pounds, the most expensive go for like 100k, crazy really. If you want one of the best 2d gaming then thats the system. PS1 had many good games but never owned one, Gamecube was very good too. Im waiting to see what PS5 has to offer, very very advanced for a console it seems.

In case you're not aware Streets of Rage 4 is due out this year across all platforms (PlayStation, X Box, Switch, PC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_4

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In case you're not aware Streets of Rage 4 is due out this year across all platforms (PlayStation, X Box, Switch, PC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_4

Yup im was semi aware, they have taken their sweet time thats for sure. Looks decent my man, will give it a try. But I will be surprised if its anywhere near as good as SOR2.

I guess the question is - is it worth buying (would plan to buy on the Switch if that makes any difference)?
I think at a decent price (Switch game prices can be absurd), yes. However, I'd be worried about the Switch player base if online was something you were mainly after.
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

I think at a decent price (Switch game prices can be absurd), yes. However, I'd be worried about the Switch player base if online was something you were mainly after.

WTF are Switch games expensive? I wasnt aware.

They generally stay at RRP and hardly ever drop, especially if they are First party games (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc). This applies to all 3DS as well. 

There are few workarounds to save a bit of money where digital titles are concerned, though.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

They generally stay at RRP and hardly ever drop, especially if they are First party games (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc). This applies to all 3DS as well.

There are few workarounds to save a few quid with digital titles, though.

Damn didnt know that, its typical Nintendo though. I remember Snes games was the same, alot of GC games too.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Yep Zelda has been out about 2 years now and you'd still pay £40 second hand on eBay. Without the box and just the cartridge would still be around £35.

Pretty incredible really because most X Box and PlayStation games you can pick up for around half price within 6-12 months.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yep Zelda has been out about 2 years now and you'd still pay £40 second hand on eBay. Without the box and just the cartridge would still be around £35.

Pretty incredible really because most X Box and PlayStation games you can pick up for around half price within 6-12 months.

Exactly, find it odd that Switch games can demand such a Premium when like you said PS and Box are much lower. Has Switch been a success?

41 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Exactly, find it odd that Switch games can demand such a Premium when like you said PS and Box are much lower. Has Switch been a success?

Nintendo are clearly the most innovative of the main console developers and more prepared to take risks. The Nintendo DS with the additional touch screen, Wii with the motion control, and now the Switch which allows you to use it as both a home console plugged into the TV and a handheld console. The handheld option is a touch of genius in my opinion because the Gameboy and DS favour comparably with the PlayStation 1, 2 and 4 which were all massive sellers. They've also just released the Switch Lite which is handheld only and can't be used on a TV but is a little smaller and lighter so better suited to handheld gaming. It still plays Switch games so they've basically managed to replace the Wii and DS in one focused console.

In terms of current gen consoles, I believe the Switch has about half the sales of the PlayStation 4 but was only released in 2017 compared to 2013 with the PS4 and therefore is still holding it's price with the demand (I brought ours for Xmas 2018 and I believe the price was still very similar this Xmas gone). As the price drops over time, I'd expect sales to continue to increase, especially as Nintendo are only looking at releasing a Switch Pro and not a Switch 2 when the PS5 and X Box X are due to be released at the end of this year. The Switch has already outsold the X Box One though, again despite being released 4 years early.

They probably have less titles that would appeal to 'hardcore' gamers although those that they do have are probably amongst the best around. I've not played Zelda but it's reviews are superb. We have Mario Odyssey and that is excellent too. And then there's the Pokemon and Animal Crossing franchises which carry huge fan bases.

But where they do excel is the party/family games and appealing to the casual gamer. With a 6 and 9 year old, it does appeal much wider to us as a family than just my PlayStation 4 does. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc. It's just something really fun to throw on for an hour in the evening with the wife and kids; Like the modern equivalent of getting a board game out!

• Like 3

Nintendo are clearly the most innovative of the main console developers and more prepared to take risks. The Nintendo DS with the additional touch screen, Wii with the motion control, and now the Switch which allows you to use it as both a home console plugged into the TV and a handheld console. The handheld option is a touch of genius in my opinion because the Gameboy and DS favour comparably with the PlayStation 1, 2 and 4 which were all massive sellers. They've also just released the Switch Lite which is handheld only and can't be used on a TV but is a little smaller and lighter so better suited to handheld gaming. It still plays Switch games so they've basically managed to replace the Wii and DS in one focused console.

In terms of current gen consoles, I believe the Switch has about half the sales of the PlayStation 4 but was only released in 2017 compared to 2013 with the PS4 and therefore is still holding it's price with the demand (I brought ours for Xmas 2018 and I believe the price was still very similar this Xmas gone). As the price drops over time, I'd expect sales to continue to increase, especially as Nintendo are only looking at releasing a Switch Pro and not a Switch 2 when the PS5 and X Box X are due to be released at the end of this year. The Switch has already outsold the X Box One though, again despite being released 4 years early.

They probably have less titles that would appeal to 'hardcore' gamers although those that they do have are probably amongst the best around. I've not played Zelda but it's reviews are superb. We have Mario Odyssey and that is excellent too. And then there's the Pokemon and Animal Crossing franchises which carry huge fan bases.

But where they do excel is the party/family games and appealing to the casual gamer. With a 6 and 9 year old, it does appeal much wider to us as a family than just my PlayStation 4 does. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc. It's just something really fun to throw on for an hour in the evening with the wife and kids; Like the modern equivalent of getting a board game out!

ImageImageImageImage

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

They sure are innovative, and def much more family oriented. I must admit I stopped with Nintendo after the Gamecube. They got too kiddy-like for my taste but still could pump quality here and there.

Crazy they have outsold xbox1 though....there is a reason its called xbone I guess lmao. Yeah I can see them pump out a pro version instead of a new console, besides they know they cant touch Sony unless they have the backing of the developers and most of all a kick ass hardware.

Im on the verge of getting a consolized CPS2 Capcom hardware, so many great games on that one and you can just connect it to your CRT tv, so no arcade cabinet etc.

• Like 1