Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Billy Gilmour

the wes
Followers 5

10 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Unfortunate he wont be at the Euros though, as a Scot would have loved to have seen him go but even if he played more I wouldn’t see him starting in the team at the moment. Plenty competition for MF roles with Scotland to the point where folk are still debating will David Turnbull be starting or not despite single handedly having been Celtic’s best player by a country mile this season and also being our most creative option in midfield, mainly due to how we play under Steve Clarke.

UEFA have allowed teams to bring 26 players, instead of the usual 23, in their squad for the Euro. Any chance maybe Gilmour could sneak one of those additional 3 places?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm worried about him now, expectations have now become far too high. Soon as he hits as bad run of form the impatient crew who have systematically blasted Mason and Tammy will make this thread a

A 18 year old making his debut as a sub for 20 minutes and you're writing him off I've never heard something so ridiculous. How the fuck can someone be called ordinary when you've seen him play for 20

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
hace 9 horas, Jas dijo:

UEFA have allowed teams to bring 26 players, instead of the usual 23, in their squad for the Euro. Any chance maybe Gilmour could sneak one of those additional 3 places?

Maybe but again even with a 26 man squad, I think depending on whether or not McTominay plays CB as he has done sometimes (although he didnt the last bunch of games) its very slim as others have played regularly and maybe deserve more of a chance.

Would imagine the MFers Clarke takes (although some are closer to 10s as opposed to more natural central midfielders but we play 352 more often than not) will be, barring any injuries:

- Callum McGregor

- David Turnbull

- Scott McTominay

- John McGinn

- John Fleck

- Stuart Armstrong

- Ryan Christie

- Kenny McLean

Ultimately I think McTominay McGinn and McGregor will start the games for us and then maybe Turnbull would be the only change in ahead of McGregor (would go with Turnbull in from the start 100% it it were up to me).

I dont think he will want to take anymore midfielders because we still have to take Ryan Fraser and Jame Forrest as more natural wingers also plus 2/3 CFs such as Dykes, Nisbitt and hopefully Che Adams - with no place for McBurnie being an absolute godsend as he is one of the worst CFs I have ever seen for us. Although if its a 26 man squad I would think 4 CFs isn’t out of the question. 

If there was any injuries then maybe, maybe it opens the space up for Gilmour but taking someone whos played 1 league game in like 5 months probably isn’t viable considering the more deeper options like McGinn, McGregor, McTominay are likely to be there ahead of him and fully fit for it by looks of things (fingers crossed) then Turnbull/Armstrong/McLean. Plus Ryan Gauld has had an exceptional season in Portugal with Farense and would maybe be taken in the place of them as Steve Clarke has been asked about him numerous times and he is being linked with Braga and Benfica as his contract is running out. 

Maybe he sneaks in maybe not. Would say for his talent yes take him but he has 0 caps for Scotland as it is and has played very little football. Considering we will probably be taking 5 or 6 CBs for our back 3, 3 GKs thats 8 or 9 spaces. Then say 3/4 CFs, Forrest, Fraser, those guys in midfield, Robertson, Tierney, 2 right wing backs. Thats what about 23/24/25. It depends ultimately on injuries I would think.

Plus Steve Clarke has been pretty consistent and loyal to certain players with his selections (McBurnie and Stephen O’Donnell in partifular), similar to what the Italians were like with Conte (likes of Pelle and Giacchereini at Euro 2016), seems to be 85 or 90% the same players barring injuries. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

I would start him again against Arsenal tbf. If you can play how he did v City then he can certainly do it v Arsenal. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I would start him again against Arsenal tbf. If you can play how he did v City then he can certainly do it v Arsenal. 

Could Gilmour make a late push for the Euro squad? 👀

Posted (edited)
hace 26 minutos, Jas dijo:

Could Gilmour make a late push for the Euro squad? 👀

If he keeps playing regularly now I think so, or certainly hope, but probably has to play well in at least another 3 games for the full duration. He only has 309 minutes this season in CL and PL. If the season finished yesterday it would not be enough. Not sure how many cup games hes played but having not played over 1000 minutes in a combination of the league or CL against higher quality opposition probably doesn’t help.

Edited by OneMoSalah
8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

If he keeps playing regularly now I think so, or certainly hope, but probably has to play well in at least another 3 games for the full duration. He only has 309 minutes this season in CL and PL. If the season finished yesterday it would not be enough. Not sure how many cup games hes played but having not played over 1000 minutes in a combination of the league or CL against higher quality opposition probably doesn’t help.

891 mins, will probably get some more.

Walcott played on World Cup 2006 with 1268 mins. So would not be that weird.

hace 27 minutos, NikkiCFC dijo:

891 mins, will probably get some more.

Walcott played on World Cup 2006 with 1268 mins. So would not be that weird.

I suppose he will get more minutes definitely now with the next few weeks so he has a chance to make a late push. 

Re Walcott was that not more due to a lack of pace out of the other options? I am sure that was what Sven has said about it. For us our midfield is probably our strongest area right now as mentioned in another post to Jason at some point last week. 

I did notice Kenny McLean may be out of Euros now due to an injury he got for Norwich so it opens the door for one of Billy or Ryan Gauld perhaps, but perhaps again they’d be more there as backups as the majority of the regulars in midfield will be going I would think and probably be ahead in the managers mind as they were big part of getting us to the Euros. Who knows though, I think the experience would be good for Billy and also give us a chance to mix it up but I do feel its too little too late. Plus theres boys like Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, who can play as further advanced midfielders as well with 2 of those 4 or 5 named above also. So its not as straightforward as people might think.

Id still say even with 26 man squads its not going to be a cert or even a huge possibility unless he plays every week. Steve Clarke didn’t call him up after his wee run in the team with Lampard either last season so I doubt after 2 games v Fulham then City it will make him more liable to pick him. 

32 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Id still say even with 26 man squads its not going to be a cert or even a huge possibility unless he plays every week. Steve Clarke didn’t call him up after his wee run in the team with Lampard either last season so I doubt after 2 games v Fulham then City it will make him more liable to pick him. 

Yeah but having 26 players now gives the manager a bit more room for backups or to manoeuvre. What's the harm in bringing Gilmour anyway? Are there any other genuine Scottish talent that would have missed had only 23 players been allowed?

Posted (edited)
hace 1 hora, Jas dijo:

Yeah but having 26 players now gives the manager a bit more room for backups or to manoeuvre. What's the harm in bringing Gilmour anyway? Are there any other genuine Scottish talent that would have missed had only 23 players been allowed?

This is true.

Regarding who may miss/may have missed if only 23, may have been Turnbull (a creative number 8/10), Nathan Patterson (a RB) and then Billy for sure. Although Turnbull would be the most likely to go out of any of the uncapped players by a country mile and somehow didn’t get in the last NT call ups which didnt go down well. But theres still also more senior players who weren’t in the last squad, Forrest, Griffiths, Cooper, so it wouldnt even be a guarantee he takes any of them.

I think our biggest concern with our squad is a lack of goals/creativity. Which is why I think as mentioned above Turnbull has to go. Then theres Ryan Gauld who’s came off a good season in Portugal for Farese (who are like 17th), with 8 goals 7 assists and a lot of big opportunities created in 30 games (think he’s created or made more passes that have lead to chances for his team than most players in the division based on the information doing the rounds) which makes him an obscure, wild card choice but again someone who I can see making it based on the creativity he could bring.

Ultimately who knows now though I think SC will be very predictable though and would probably bring the tried and tested bunch he usually picks bar maybe swapping out McLean for Turnbull if he is injured and wont make the tournament and maybe bringing the likes of James Forrest, Liam Cooper then one either Gilmour/Patterson/Gauld. I’d like to see them all 3 of them go obviously on top of Turnbull as the four of them would give us some younger blood and but the midfielders would definitely be a nightmare to pick then also. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
Posted (edited)
hace 34 minutos, Jas dijo:

Has been called up to the Scotland NT for Euro 2020.

@OneMoSalah

Great news. Nathan Patterson and David Turnbull as well in which is good also. 3 LBs tho is dodgy. I am a bit shocked that Ryan Gauld didnt get a call up. Kevin Nisbitt also good to have him in. All in all good choices

Edited by OneMoSalah
47 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Great news. Nathan Patterson and David Turnbull as well in which is good also. 3 LBs tho is dodgy. I am a bit shocked that Ryan Gauld didnt get a call up. Kevin Nisbitt also good to have him in. All in all good choices

Won't look as bad as when Southgate tries to fit 4 right backs in the England squad.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
hace 1 hora, Superblue_1986 dijo:

Won't look as bad as when Southgate tries to fit 4 right backs in the England squad.

🤣

I suppose we have Tierney at LCB most of the time but if one if Robertson were to say get injured get injured would just put Tierney at LWB. Baffled by 3 LBs still lol.

Defending isnt our problem scoring goals is.

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Which four?

Walker

James

TAA

AWB

Trippier

Some quality...

Posted (edited)
hace 4 minutos, nyikolajevics dijo:

Which four?

Walker

James

TAA

AWB

Trippier

Some quality...

Theres no way to even justify Southgate taking more than 3. Walker can play RCB perhaps aye in a 3 but even with 26 players, it would be beyond stupid to take more than 3. Hard decisions to take though for sure.

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Which four?

Walker

James

TAA

AWB

Trippier

Some quality...

AWB hasn't had a look in, so cannot see him getting in the squad.

It'll be Walker, James, TAA and Trippier. 

I'd be inclined to take the first three as Walker and James also present an option to play as the right centre back in a back 3 if Southgate wanted to go with that. James also has experienced this season playing regularly as a wing back too. 

But Southgate seems to like Trippier.

• Like 1

AWB is best defensively, TAA offensively. He didn't call either last time. Weird guy. Also I don't think you can ask for better than Grealish LW (if he is fit and back in form) and Sancho RW but he will go with something like Sterling and Mount. 

• Jase changed the title to Billy Gilmour