Billy Gilmour

the wes

7 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

We literally have Jorginho deputising for Kanté atm - would rather see Billy there imo. He's equally as good at 6 & 8 imo. 

I was actually going to ask this question. If Kante were to get injured (heaven forbid), who would be people's preference to fill in for him?

Jorginho obviously has the experience, but I think Gilmour's mobility and tenacity would give him the edge for me.

Think people need to be careful with placing too much expectation on Gilmour right now. While he has shown what he can do and bring to this team, his form and performances after the restart last season also showed his shortcomings, which is not surprise given he still only 19 years old.

Also, any talk of Gilmour going out loan should be thrown out of the window this season, unless we're buying someone in January. If we want to achieve things this season, then we need depth and after loaning Barkley and Loftus-Cheek out in the summer, we aren't exactly well stocked in the midfield. There are only Kante, Kovacic, Havertz, Jorginho, Mount and Gilmour. 6 players for 3 positions is just nice. And as we saw with our 2 most recent injuries, 2 wingers out injured at the same time and we're suddenly down to just 2 players for the wide areas (and 1 of them is injury prone). It could easily happen with the midfield (touch wood, fingers crossed) and if Havertz and/or Mount are/is played out wide, then that will open space for the other midfielders to play. 

Think people need to be careful with placing too much expectation on Gilmour right now. While he has shown what he can do and bring to this team, his form and performances after the restart last season also showed his shortcomings, which is not surprise given he still only 19 years old.
Also, any talk of Gilmour going out loan should be thrown out of the window this season, unless we're buying someone in January. If we want to achieve things this season, then we need depth and after loaning Barkley and Loftus-Cheek out in the summer, we aren't exactly well stocked in the midfield. There are only Kante, Kovacic, Havertz, Jorginho, Mount and Gilmour. 6 players for 3 positions is just nice. And as we saw with our 2 most recent injuries, 2 wingers out injured at the same time and we're suddenly down to just 2 players for the wide areas (and 1 of them is injury prone). It could easily happen with the midfield (touch wood, fingers crossed) and if Havertz and/or Mount are/is played out wide, then that will open space for the other midfielders to play. 
We also could loan him out and just give guys like Anjorin and Lewis Bate a chance. We have enough quality from our youth. Next year, Gallagher will also be back and Billy has no chance without a top class loan to make it at Chelsea, even though he, might be more talented than some of the other players.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

We also could loan him out and just give guys like Anjorin and Lewis Bate a chance. We have enough quality from our youth. Next year, Gallagher will also be back and Billy has no chance without a top class loan to make it at Chelsea, even though he, might be more talented than some of the other players.

Next season, maybe. This season? Hell no. Crazy to just expect Bate or Anjorin to come in and perform when we are trying to achieve something this season. Bate, Anjorin may be talented but there's a reason why they are still mostly with the academy while Gilmour is already training with the first team for over a year now. We'll have lots of games this season. Form, injuries, suspensions etc will come into play. Gilmour will get his fair share of opportunities. 

Next season, maybe. This season? Hell no. Crazy to just expect Bate or Anjorin to come in and perform when we are trying to achieve something this season. Bate, Anjorin may be talented but there's a reason why they are still mostly with the academy while Gilmour is already training with the first team for over a year now. We'll have lots of games this season. Form, injuries, suspensions etc will come into play. Gilmour will get his fair share of opportunities. 

So, just waste Billy's potential so he might play 5 more games? He will not start in the next round of CL because the next stage will be against the big boys. We are out of the Caraboa Cup, so only FA cup left and he will play the next few rounds of FA cup. Mount, Kovacic and Havertz are rarely injured, so not much PL game action for him

You make it seem like Billy is that experienced. He played 5 matches or something like that and he is as experienced as the other youth players.

Furthermore, Lewis Bate is as good as Billy at youth level and I would even say that he is more versatile than Billy. He wins much more tackles than Billy, but still has the vision of Billy. Highly underrated

33 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

So, just waste Billy's potential so he might play 5 more games? He will not start in the next round of CL because the next stage will be against the big boys. We are out of the Caraboa Cup, so only FA cup left and he will play the next few rounds of FA cup. Mount, Kovacic and Havertz are rarely injured, so not much PL game action for him

Injury, form, rotation, COVID etc. Kovacic, Mount, Havertz, Kante etc are not superhumans. They aren't going to play every game. And Lampard already showed last season that he's not afraid to play Gilmour in Premier League games either.

33 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

You make it seem like Billy is that experienced. He played 5 matches or something like that and he is as experienced as the other youth players.

Furthermore, Lewis Bate is as good as Billy at youth level and I would even say that he is more versatile than Billy. He wins much more tackles than Billy, but still has the vision of Billy. Highly underrated

I made Gilmour like he's experienced? :lol: I literally just said this!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Moreover, your argument about the need to send Gilmour out on loan so that his potential is not wasted could also be used for Bate. Why not send him out on loan instead so that his potential is not wasted? 

We need both Kante and Gilmour. It is going to be a long and congested season. There should be enough games coming quickly for both of them to get the minutes they need to stay sharp. If we sent Gilmour away and Kante gets injured like last year.... yikes.

4 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

We need both Kante and Gilmour. It is going to be a long and congested season. There should be enough games coming quickly for both of them to get the minutes they need to stay sharp. If we sent Gilmour away and Kante gets injured like last year.... yikes.

Don't forget COVID-19 as well. Havertz got a serious one and had to miss games. We were lucky that it happened just before the last international break. Might not be so lucky next time IF someone else gets it (touch wood!). 

I can not see us buying new midfielder in January so he should stay for squad depth but for the next season I do not see place for him and he should go on loan. For young player most important thing is to play regularly and this will not happen for Billy in Chelsea anytime soon.

Assuming we buy Rice he will play as number 6 and we have Kante who is amazing now!

For number 8 Kai, Mount and Kova are all ahead of him. That 6th midfielder spot should be given to Gallagher next season. Mount, Abraham, James, Tomori all got their chance in Chelsea after good Championship season and Conor also had amazing season there but he is also having great season in the PL season so it would be double standard if he is not here next season. And he is so ready! Also do we see Billy playing as number 8? I can see him only deeper.

Like I said, most important thing for young player is to play regularly and Billy needs this somewhere else probably for 2 season like other boys had. Imo game time they had in careers is the only thing that puts Mount, Tammy, James in better position now and ahead of CHO.

Every young player found their spot in Chelsea through loans and CHO is unique and this is why it is more difficult for him but I think he is gonna make it. Billy should not take that road.

The problem we have with Billy at the moment is the sheer number of players we have, the fact he got a bad injury and the Euros. For that reason, I slightly lean to the loan for six months camp. I say this as Billy needs quite a lot of minutes and I am not sure where he is going to get them as Kante is ahead of him and Jorgi is likely to be picked ahead of him when we start getting into the tail end of the season for his experience. 

For those reasons, I would be tempted to loam him, allow him to get some real decent minutes in, then try to sell Jorgi and integrate him next season. Just for clarification, I say this as a big Billy fan it is just that I do not want him to stagnate here by only getting ten minutes here and there. 

11 hours ago, killer1257 said:

I don't really get this waste of potential narrative, many player's who turned out to be great were playing sparsely as a teenager, some cases not atall.

Main case in point would be Pep's Barca, praised to high heaven for creating such a great team largely from academy players, but what isn't often mentioned is only Messi out of all of them was a regular as a teenager and only a further two (Iniesta and Xavi) even made their Barca debut before 20.

14 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

When Rice comes up, I always wonder...do we really need him when we have Gilmour and Connor developing?

neither are true cruncher DMF's like Rice so it is completely chalk and cheese (plus Rice can play CB as well)

IF we are going to loan him for 6 months, QPR (obviously zero disruption city-wise) would be a place where he would get loads of minutes, they are fucked at DMF and CMF

Amos and Owens (Owens might be back in March or April, Amos is done until summer) are out with injuries, and they have only one CMF on the roster, Tom Carroll, perpetual bust, an ex Spuds youth whom Swansea terminated a contract with in January

QPR are a hot mess atm, so I have no idea if we want to toss him into that dumpster fire

9a5fa0232587f8e495f6e76451b0771e.png

EPL team-wise, Burnley really needs MFers, they have a shedload of dregs

Not sure if Dyche will want to play a teen though, he is a real cunt about going mostly with ageing, gooned up veterans, but damn, do they need help in MF, their 3 best, Cork, Westwood, and Dale Stephens, are all over 30, and trash thugs IMHO (I am biased, I have detested Burnley for years, so hope they go down finally) Not sure if Billy would be a good fit there though, they are hit n' hope cavemen, so little skilled build-up play.