Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Super Frank Thread


 Share
Followers 9

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Strike said:

The attack played well in a few of the games to be fair. But yes, earlier on in the season, in games like Wolves, Norwich, Ajax, etc the team was proactive and constantly on the move to receive passes, turn flicks around and keep the attack going. Just feels a little flat in the last month or so

Flat is one way of putting it. It’s as though we don’t practice attacking patterns, don’t do something a bit more sophisticated than just dumping crosses into the box. Where’s that bit of creativity? Where’s the ingenuity? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't actually believe how well coached we are. Puts it in further perspective when you see the garbage United and Arsenal are spewing. I love the fact Frank isn't so stubborn to try and do it

Very confused, can only assume the ones being somewhat negative did not watch the game? Aside from Dave and Zouma, I thought we played really well against the European Champions. I was shocked at time

Our pressing game was superb, and made all the difference today! 4-3-3 with Mount and Havertz to harass opponents and Kante to sweep up behind...that's the way to go. And we have two bombing

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mana said:

Spuds targets were different than ours. They were not a solid club they are now, so they can afford to lose so many games. EL was their level, he improved Sherwood’s result, by taking Spuds to an automatic EL qualification.

Levy sacked Redknapp after a 4th place finish, Ramos less than a year after a trophy win, sacked AVB months after a record points haul for them and Sherwood despite his best ever points return.

To suggest they were this happy clappy club merely happy to get by couldn't be further from the truth.

4 hours ago, Mana said:

I expect us to beat Villa comfortably though, I shouldn’t need to lower my expectations because it’s Lampard.

Now you're changing the goalpost, you said there's been no real decent performance since the international break, that was a point of proving otherwise.

4 hours ago, Mana said:

Missing out on CL shouldn't be seen as a successful season at all. We are putting all hopes on a rookie coach to make sure he gets it perfectly right next season otherwise it will be even longer and harder for us to get back to the top. We are already two seasons away from challenging. Failure to get the right players in next summer, will make it three.

Missing out on CL would affect our transfer window. Less money to spend because of EL (or none at all), players like Sancho could go to United instead of us because they have CL we don’t....

As I've already said, when you're starting to build a team around inexperienced players a bit more context is needed. Are you implying we should have the same win or bust expectations that we would have the old guard or even Costa/Cesc/Courtois were here in their pomp?

Furthermore CL football isn't as important to players as it use to be, Zlatan, Pogba, Kante, Aubamayang, Pepe, Kovacic, Jorginho, Di Maria, Luiz (twice) all gave up CL football to join teams outside of it. Quite frankly if a player with 13-15 years of his career left is that shortsighted to chose a club on the basis of what could only end up being six games, then meh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jason said:

Flat is one way of putting it. It’s as though we don’t practice attacking patterns, don’t do something a bit more sophisticated than just dumping crosses into the box. Where’s that bit of creativity? Where’s the ingenuity? 

I think it comes from a panic of being unable to break a team down that play deep. We usually start games well for the first 20-30 minutes and look bright but once we get past that initial period if we can't break a team down that structure seems to be lost. There's probably a bit of being naive from both players and Lampard with this, but the players seem to get their confidence drained if we can't make our domination count. 

Since the international break we have struggled badly for confidence and it's really frustrating why we haven't been able to pick back up our form from prior to this. Some players look jaded and may be carrying knocks, and others are just woefully out of form. It's also becoming less of a coincidence that our bad form has come with Kante's return too because I think a lot of those attacking patterns and passing through the lines came from Jorginho and Kovacic and the partnership they had built up together. 

I think for the most part Rudiger coming back has improved our defence and we do look more solid than we did earlier in the season, although there are still some inexcusable individual mistakes. But when we're not scoring goals and killing teams off it will naturally invite pressure and encouragement to the opposition. A keeper that struggles to save shots too doesn't help with keeping many clean sheets.

I'm hoping that this winter break we have may be what we need to take stock of the situation, get some players back properly fit and firing again. Lampard needs to try and find that formula back earlier in the season when we were at the very least putting the bottom 12-14 teams to the sword. If we had continued doing that over the last couple of months we'd probably be in 2nd place, about 15-18 points clear of 4th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

I think we all have to write this season off, on the condition the youth continue to be developed and Frank continues to learn. It doesn't make it any less frustrating though, because, let's be honest, are we really any worse than the 4th-best team in the league? I think we should be comfortably top 4 by this juncture. 

That's easy to say in hindsight but if we go back to August people were taking the piss out of our squad and saying we would be lucky to even make Europe. Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and even Everton were all widely expected to finish above us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

5 points lost lately in the last minutes... Brighton, Newcastle, Arsenal. Plus Sheffield United earlier. We lack mentality big time. 

I'm pretty sure we're the worst in the league or certainly amongst the bottom teams for goals conceded in the last 15 minutes of games this season.

A lot of this will likely come from a combination of our players tiring and fading from the constant pushing we're having to do to try and score, and also the encouragement we're offering opposition to take the game to us in the final quarter of the game for not taking our chances and killing games off.

But even then that's when some character and leadership should come into play and unfortunately at present we don't have enough of it in this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank has over egged the chances we've been creating and wasting during the bad results in December however last night it was a legimate excuse (the graph below). People will no doubt counter me saying "oh XG doesn't change things" and in terms of the result you would be right but it's as accurate as you can hope anything to be in terms of foreshadowing the future.

For example, according to XG City were going to dominate the league as soon as they replaced Bravo, they were right. Spurs were going to drop like a stone at some point, they were right. We were going to fall after our 15 title, they were right. United were going to fall in Jose's third season, they were right. Emery's spell at Arsenal wasn't sustainable, they were right. Liverpool were not far off a title challenge post 17/18, they were right. Infact I can't remember any times it foreshadowed things inaccurately, not spectacularly so anyway.

It's incredibly frustrating that were conceding nearly every chance we concede and waste so many openings, but 99% of the time if you're regularly outperforming or underperforming your XG you eventually even out.

EO1mvvUWkAIMcSa.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Frank has over egged the chances we've been creating and wasting during the bad results in December however last night it was a legimate excuse (the graph below). People will no doubt counter me saying "oh XG doesn't change things" and in terms of the result you would be right but it's as accurate as you can hope anything to be in terms of foreshadowing the future.

For example, according to XG City were going to dominate the league as soon as they replaced Bravo, they were right. Spurs were going to drop like a stone at some point, they were right. We were going to fall after our 15 title, they were right. United were going to fall in Jose's third season, they were right. Emery's spell at Arsenal wasn't sustainable, they were right. Liverpool were not far off a title challenge post 17/18, they were right. Infact I can't remember any times it foreshadowed things inaccurately, not spectacularly so anyway.

It's incredibly frustrating that were conceding nearly every chance we concede and waste so many openings, but 99% of the time if you're regularly outperforming or underperforming your XG you eventually even out.

EO1mvvUWkAIMcSa.jpg

We played against 10 men up 1-0 early against team who is awful defensively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, communicate said:

We played against 10 men up 1-0 early against team who is awful defensively. 

Picking out part of my post and ignoring the overall context.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tomo said:

Bit of both, i have has shade at me thrown at Willian from both angles, for example I don't think he was as great as made out in 15/16 but equally I've never been in on the mass slating and was probably the only one on his side in that phony war with Conte (although that was more down to the fact I seriously grew to resent Antonio by then because in my opinion he took the piss out of every single Chelsea fan in those last days, especially the ones who went to The Ethiad).

I don't think I've ever been so systematically branded both an apologist and a hater of the same person.

With William it is pretty simple. Fans want their winger to score goals and create assist. He is not number guy so he is suck. For me it is very simple, Willian is good at what he does. To balance him, you need to add number guy around him (hazard, cesc) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Frank has over egged the chances we've been creating and wasting during the bad results in December however last night it was a legimate excuse (the graph below). People will no doubt counter me saying "oh XG doesn't change things" and in terms of the result you would be right but it's as accurate as you can hope anything to be in terms of foreshadowing the future.

For example, according to XG City were going to dominate the league as soon as they replaced Bravo, they were right. Spurs were going to drop like a stone at some point, they were right. We were going to fall after our 15 title, they were right. United were going to fall in Jose's third season, they were right. Emery's spell at Arsenal wasn't sustainable, they were right. Liverpool were not far off a title challenge post 17/18, they were right. Infact I can't remember any times it foreshadowed things inaccurately, not spectacularly so anyway.

It's incredibly frustrating that were conceding nearly every chance we concede and waste so many openings, but 99% of the time if you're regularly outperforming or underperforming your XG you eventually even out.

I don't understand how City replacing Bravo improved their "xG". Bravo had no impact in how City attack, just how they leak goals.

And while I have a basic understanding of xG, I still don't understand fully what xG is all about. Predicted goals?

Also what are you trying to tell us? Chelsea's current "xG" is going to win us the league next season?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mana said:

I don't understand how City replacing Bravo improves their "xG". Bravo has no impact in how City attack, just how they leak goals.

And while I have a basic understanding of xG, I still don't understand fully what xG is all about. Predicted goals?

Also what are you trying to tell us? Chelsea's current "xG" is going to win us the league next season?

I never at any point said we will win the league next season, but it also aptly demonstrates that were not heading in a black hole of irrelevance either.

City were conceding way way more than they usual would due to Bravo being unable to save a thing (for example we escaped from The Ethiad with a 3-1 win despite being outplayed thanks to him) it was fairly clear even then they were going to be formidable once that was fixed and they were. As I said XG is about as close to accurate foreshadowing as it's possible to get and it suggests that things are noway near as bad as it looks now just like it wasn't as good as it looked when we won 6 games on the spin that led to the unrealistic expectations of a title challenge.

5 minutes ago, communicate said:

I like xg Stat, but I honestly don't care about stat when you are pretty much given red carpet for easy 3 points after 26min at home. 

In terms of the match in itself I agree and have stated such numerous times, however people seem to be using this match as some yardstick of decline which couldn't be further from the truth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Lamps really has to watch out regarding our spirit in this coming hell fixtures......our spirits must remain high and not get amputated, Theres no prosthetics for that shit.

As far as I'm concerned he already killed the spirit among many of the fans, maybe the players still believe in him but they aren't showing anything for it anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think it comes from a panic of being unable to break a team down that play deep. We usually start games well for the first 20-30 minutes and look bright but once we get past that initial period if we can't break a team down that structure seems to be lost. There's probably a bit of being naive from both players and Lampard with this, but the players seem to get their confidence drained if we can't make our domination count. 

Since the international break we have struggled badly for confidence and it's really frustrating why we haven't been able to pick back up our form from prior to this. Some players look jaded and may be carrying knocks, and others are just woefully out of form.

Is it panic or is not enough work being done in training in trying to break defensive teams now? Because the default approach these days just seems to be putting crosses in and hoping something sticks. The fact that James, who is only 20 years old, is talked as the main weapon, the main creator because of his crosses says a lot. I know our squad aren't perfect in terms of quality but where is the combination play, where is the movement of players dragging people around to create space and chances for others, where is the quick passing and movement? If our main play is basically dumping crosses into the box, then we are seriously fucked going forward. In regards to players looking jaded, you gotta wonder if the players are being overworked by Lampard in training because there have been a tad too many muscle injuries or just injuries in general suffered in training this season. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is it panic or is not enough work being done in training in trying to break defensive teams now? Because the default approach these days just seems to be putting crosses in and hoping something sticks. The fact that James, who is only 20 years old, is talked as the main weapon, the main creator because of his crosses says a lot. I know our squad aren't perfect in terms of quality but where is the combination play, where is the movement of players dragging people around to create space and chances for others, where is the quick passing and movement? If our main play is basically dumping crosses into the box, then we are seriously fucked going forward. In regards to players looking jaded, you gotta wonder if the players are being overworked by Lampard in training because there have been a tad too many muscle injuries or just injuries in general suffered in training this season. 

Personally I believe it's more to do with the mentality of the team at present not confident in themselves than the training because earlier in the season showed us capable of everything you've said.

I'm not too concerned with Reece James being one of our biggest weapons. You could argue Liverpool's main creative weapon over the last couple of years has been Trent within a similar age bracket to Reece.

I don't mind getting the ball into the box from wide positions when we're packing the box. If the full backs are crossing in at the very least we need 3, ideally 4 players in the box attacking the crosses. We regularly only have Tammy isolated in the box. When you only have one player to aim for most of the time it's not going to be as successful as it should be. That's an area that Lampard needs to work on the players desire and mentality to attack the box and think more directly. He's ironically the best player I've seen timing his runs into the box to get on the end of chances and he needs to be working on some of the players to try and learn and understand this trait.

I do think once we show some form of a threat from wide areas it makes teams think twice about just pushing us wide and helps to open up the possibilities of attacking and creating more in central areas.

Good final point on how the players look jaded. One thing I would imagine Lampard would demand is hard work and intense training sessions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Personally I believe it's more to do with the mentality of the team at present not confident in themselves than the training because earlier in the season showed us capable of everything you've said.

I'm not too concerned with Reece James being one of our biggest weapons. You could argue Liverpool's main creative weapon over the last couple of years has been Trent within a similar age bracket to Reece.

I don't mind getting the ball into the box from wide positions when we're packing the box. If the full backs are crossing in at the very least we need 3, ideally 4 players in the box attacking the crosses. We regularly only have Tammy isolated in the box. When you only have one player to aim for most of the time it's not going to be as successful as it should be. That's an area that Lampard needs to work on the players desire and mentality to attack the box and think more directly. He's ironically the best player I've seen timing his runs into the box to get on the end of chances and he needs to be working on some of the players to try and learn and understand this trait.

I do think once we show some form of a threat from wide areas it makes teams think twice about just pushing us wide and helps to open up the possibilities of attacking and creating more in central areas.

I don't have a problem with James being one of our biggest weapons but I have a problem if James becomes the ONLY weapon in the team, because as I said, our approach of late just seems to be dumping crosses in. 

You might be right in that the players might not be confident right now but at the end of the day, only they can change the team's fortunes and we need them to. We need them to step up and take responsibility, especially the senior players. With the young players, one can perhaps cut them some slack but not the senior players. It feels like they are hiding behind the 'young team' excuse because no one is owning up to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't have a problem with James being one of our biggest weapons but I have a problem if James becomes the ONLY weapon in the team, because as I said, our approach of late just seems to be dumping crosses in. 

You might be right in that the players might not be confident right now but at the end of the day, only they can change the team's fortunes and we need them to. We need them to step up and take responsibility, especially the senior players. With the young players, one can perhaps cut them some slack but not the senior players. It feels like they are hiding behind the 'young team' excuse because no one is owning up to it. 

The problem is without a similar threat down the left hand side, and Reece struggling to stay fit for a solid run of games this season, we do become predictable out wide because our full backs aren't good enough. It also then means the wide players and/or Mount are more likely to stay or drift wide too to help the full backs attack those spaces. The likes of Man City and Liverpool's full backs attack and exploit the spaces left by the wide players cutting in and going into the box and ours don't seem to do that currently.

Couldn't agree more about the final statement. It's easy to be critical of the likes of Mount and Tammy at present when they're struggling a bit but both scored important goals and were key players when we were playing well. It almost feels like we're leaning on the likes of them to get us out of this hole when in reality they need the experienced players to step up. Unfortunately the likes of Jorginho, Kovacic and Willian aren't playing at the level they were earlier in the season, and Kante is having an overall pretty poor season. Some of these have to show their mettle and personality on this team to get us out of this slump of form.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...