Super Frank Thread

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Admittedly, Lampard did go to the extreme last season by changing formation almost every game but it's just kinda bizarre that he has gone from that to not even changing it at all this season. I understand the need to have some sort of consistency but then we have games like the one at Everton where we had no wingers and Lampard decided to put square pegs in round hole instead. 

He is clearly leaning on the job, that much is evident.

3 hours ago, Jap Si. said:

Vesper is nice person this is rudeness I am not liking this.

Then vesper should know better than to call someone a "troll" without knowing the context of things. If vesper does not do that, then she is herself not being nice

1 hour ago, Atomiswave said:

He is clearly leaning on the job, that much is evident.

Lampard doesn't deserve to get the benefit of the doubt on this one, because it's common sense. If you don't have the players to play a certain system, then you should look to change it to fit the players available and not try to fit square pegs in round hole. If we as fans could sit here, pre-game, and talked about changing formation because we didn't have wingers available, then surely Lampard should have been able to see that too and done that, no? Plus, it's not as if our absentees were like Everton's at the weekend, where their full backs were out injured and they had to play CBs in FB positions. A change of system in their case is impossible but ours? 

Playing under successful managers obviously doesn't guarantee that person will go on to be a successful manager but I some times wonder, did Lampard learn nothing from playing under some of the most successful and tactically astute managers - e.g. Mourinho, Ancelotti and even Benitez? Because some of his decision making and game management decisions are just difficult to understand at times. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lampard doesn't deserve to get the benefit of the doubt on this one, because it's common sense. If you don't have the players to play a certain system, then you should look to change it to fit the players available and not try to fit square pegs in round hole. If we as fans could sit here, pre-game, and talked about changing formation because we didn't have wingers available, then surely Lampard should have been able to see that too and done that, no? Plus, it's not as if our absentees were like Everton's at the weekend, where their full backs were out injured and they had to play CBs in FB positions. A change of system in their case is impossible but ours? 

Playing under successful managers obviously doesn't guarantee that person will go on to be a successful manager but I some times wonder, did Lampard learn nothing from playing under some of the most successful and tactically astute managers - e.g. Mourinho, Ancelotti and even Benitez? Because some of his decision making and game management decisions are just difficult to understand at times. 

Yeah I cant refute much of that, though I wish I could....its the hand that we have been dealt.

Just now, Atomiswave said:

Yeah I cant refute much of that, though I wish I could....its the hand that we have been dealt.

Also forgot to mention, Lampard then compounded his weird selection at Everton by playing Abraham and Werner out wide, on either side of Giroud later in the game and we went nowhere with it (surprise surprise!).

Just now, Jason said:

Also forgot to mention, Lampard then compounded his weird selection at Everton by playing Abraham and Werner out wide, on either side of Giroud later in the game and we went nowhere with it (surprise surprise!).

There are plenty instances you could mention, what can I say mate.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

And the same happened before. Against WBA after good subs at HT we played very well in the second half, scored two goals but minutes later he destroyed our momentum by changing Silva for Giroud. We did not look the same after. 

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/chelsea-press-conference-live-frank-19480879

Lampard on playing Werner on the left...

For different reasons. We had a big reference for a target man. Timo for Leipzig and Germany played in lots of roles so not a problem for him to be used there. He can be used across the front three.

Lampard on whether Havertz is suited to the 4-3-3...

It does. Before Covid he was playing very well as the right-sided eight but consistency is sometimes a good thing and what I want to get for him. The reaction around him... he had no pre-season, then got Covid and all eyes are on because of the price tag but we need huge perspective here. Not saying it will take a long, long time but he does need time to settle in. For Chelsea fans and us, we must give him time.

Lampard on playing Pulisic on the right...

My decision. I have players who can play on both sides. Not all, like Hakim on the right, but Timo and Christian can play left and right. It can give the opposition a problem. I like to have the option to change it at times.

22 hours ago, Mana said:

I don't believe this. What are the underlying performance metrics that this football we are seeing is sustainable? This includes the last two PL games. 

22 hours ago, Mana said:

The same type of metrics that pointed to Arsenal's collapse even when their results were okay, hence why I saw through the Arteta hype when you and others on here were talking about him like he was god because he won two trophies (really one but for some bizzare reason a charity game is being counted) and worked under Pep.

22 hours ago, Mana said:

Incorrect, we have less points right now than we did last season. Last season this time we had 26 points. We have 22 right now.

I said corresponding fixtures. That's the fairest way to look at it and we are up on that.

22 hours ago, Mana said:

This CL group we had was way easier compared to last season's. Last season we had Ajax and Valencia. Last season was actually more impressive that we got out of that group.

You're right it was a weaker group and ofcourse I have to take that into account given my argument on the league start but our points total we accumulated has only been beaten by us once before.

Also look at the way we dealt with the fixtures Vs a tough Spanish team and compare it to last season (especially the away game), clear show of advanced maturity and lesson's learned by both our squad and tactically from Lampard.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/chelsea-press-conference-live-frank-19480879

Lampard on playing Werner on the left...

Lampard on whether Havertz is suited to the 4-3-3...

Lampard on playing Pulisic on the right...

Jeez...I wish there was at least one Chelsea friendly journalist that would actually ask him something more useful & genuine and make him think.

These kinds of questions are just prompting to him to go on the defensive and give justification for what he has already done. 

I would be more interested about whether he can do something different., and shape the question differently.

It is all up to Lampard.

We have purchased some of the best players in the world for him.

Great managers usually find a way to make players better. Look at Klopp.

He is now, for instance, slowly moving Minamino into the CMF role (althouhg Jota's injury has postponed that a bit), and he is already looking far better. And that is but a very tiny example of his improving players.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1373485/Liverpool-news-Jurgen-Klopp-Takumi-Minamino-snub-explanation

Klopp wrote: "I'm not usually a fan of singling people out but I think Taki Minamino is someone I want to highlight.

"Taki has been sensational for us since he came. His attitude is of the highest level always. Commitment to improving is total.

"He has had to be patient and at times I can imagine that's been quite difficult.

"His lack of starting opportunities until now is not because of anything he is not doing well, it's because the players in his position have been so consistent in their delivery for our club.

All that said, we are still a few players short of being title contenders

like I said in another thread these need to be EPL proven, hard-nosed types

we need harder players and EPL proven ones

the 3 or 4 I would love to see (and some will no doubt make some snap in rage)

all are ferocious competitors

Rice

Grealish (would take him all day over Sancho atm, even though he is 4 and half years older)

Caglar Söyüncü or a step down, Jan Bednarek or even buy both (dump Rudiger and AC)

I removed Zaha as this coming summer is it for him, as he is approaching too old to drop a shedload of cash on, and TBH, maybe is already there, and Palace will never sell him now, in January, as they are trying to sneak into the top half of the table

49 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

Since Kai's arrival he should have been working on building the team around Kai to get the best out of him. Instead he has been using Kai in different positions. Of course it will take longer time for Havertz to adapt. 

The problem is that Lamps doesn´t really has a preferred system or a philosophy himself. In addition to that our wingers are constantly injured, so he has to change the formation all the time.

22 minutes ago, Beigl said:

The problem is that Lamps doesn´t really has a preferred system or a philosophy himself. In addition to that our wingers are constantly injured, so he has to change the formation all the time.

At times, it feels like Lampard doesn't know how best to fit all the players together into a cohesive system and he's just abusing the players' versatility to throw them into a random system.