Lampard / Klopp

===================

Kepa Big Flop  /  Karius Big Flop --- >  Then   Mendy / Alisson

Thiago Silva IN /  Van Dijk  IN 

Ben Chillwell IN / Andy Robertson IN

Reece James Academy / Trent Alexander Arnold / Academy

Ziyech IN  /  Salah IN

Werner IN /   Mane IN

bloody shame Silva is not the same age (26) that VVD was wen he came to the dippers

November - December time frame was the appointed time for me to see the real deal. 

And have to say I'm glad I waited and I'm seeing the results that I thought we should see by this time frame. 

That being said I'm still cautiously optimistic. 

Lampard's tactical approach with the high press and Kante roaming free suffocated the life out of a really poor Newcastle side. Vs the smaller teams it really seems to be enough killing their way back into the game and relying on Mendy and a quick and mobile back 4. Spurs at the weekend will be the first test of our rejunevated team since ManUre. will be interesting to see how we handle this.

25 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I will be surprised if we win against Spurs. 

I think Spurs are a bit more experienced and coach nice by Mourinho. 

Mourinho does good in his second season usually. 

Err, we already beat them twice last season...

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Err, we already beat them twice last season...

They are unfortunately a different animal now. They look like a proper team, no real weaknesses, solid defensively and have got great players who can make the difference in Son and Kane who would start in every team in Europe. If we play at our best we will still be more than capable of beating them obviously but they just seem different this season. Will be our toughest game so far I think. A good barometer to see how we’ve come on though. 

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

They are unfortunately a different animal now. They look like a proper team, no real weaknesses, solid defensively and have got great players who can make the difference in Son and Kane who would start in every team in Europe. If we play at our best we will still be more than capable of beating them obviously but they just seem different this season. Will be our toughest game so far I think. A good barometer to see how we’ve come on though. 

By the same token, we are also better than last season and have looked better over the last 1 1/2 month. As long as we play it smart again, there's no reason why we can't beat them again. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

By the same token, we are also better than last season and have looked better over the last 1 1/2 month. As long as we play it smart again, there's no reason why we can't beat them again. 

Absolutely. Will be our toughest match so far this season though I think. 

Tomori out, Rudiger in? The latest on Chelsea’s centre-back situation

https://theathletic.com/2212518/2020/11/22/chelsea-defence-tomori-rudiger/

tomori-chelsea-scaled-e1606037968785-1024x682.jpg

The January transfer window can’t come soon enough for Fikayo Tomori.

Sources have told The Athletic that of the five centre-backs in Chelsea’s squad, he is the one most likely to leave, and it could be on loan.

To say 2020 has not been a good year for the England defender is an understatement and Chelsea’s victory over Newcastle provided another reality check over where he stands in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

Even with the inspirational Thiago Silva left out of proceedings — he only arrived back from playing for Brazil on Thursday — Tomori couldn’t get a place on Chelsea’s bench. It means his total playing time in the Premier League over the last ten months or so remains at 109 minutes (one start, one as a sub). The other four appearances were in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

What a contrast to 2019. He was named Derby’s Player of the Year having enjoyed a successful loan in the Championship before becoming a Chelsea regular (19 games in all competitions). He also scored a fantastic goal at Wolves to get off the mark for his boyhood club, was given a new five-year contract and earned a first England cap against Kosovo.

The Athletic first looked into his situation back in February when things had started to go awry, but it is much bleaker nine months on. There have been no major fall-outs between himself and coach Frank Lampard, who was also his manager at Derby and still regards him as a player of great promise.

Tomori made the headlines earlier this month after photos emerged of him attending a dinner with team-mate Callum Hudson-Odoi at a London restaurant, which broke lockdown rules. But it is understood the incident wasn’t deemed that serious by the club or management staff.

A combination of factors has been the cause of Tomori’s regular absence. He suffered a drop in form to begin with and when he was recalled against Bournemouth in February, he struggled during the 2-2 draw.

There was some misfortune as he suffered a muscular injury in June, just before the season restarted. By the time he had recovered, Chelsea were in a real battle to secure a top-four finish and couldn’t afford to pick someone who was short of match fitness, even though the defence was leaking goals.

The arrival of Silva as a free agent from Paris Saint-Germain in the last window was always going to make competition for places even more intense and so it has proved. After a shaky start on debut against West Brom, the 36-year-old has established himself as Chelsea’s best defender and his displays have also had a positive impact on Kurt Zouma’s form.

Lampard trusts the pair. Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in their last nine matches and they have been the central defensive partnership for five of them. Understandably he doesn’t want to rotate too much now there are such signs of progress.

The other two clean sheets, including the one at Newcastle on Saturday, were when Antonio Rudiger was brought in for the rested Silva and herein lies another part of the Tomori saga.

Tomori had offers to leave Chelsea on loan in the last window, however moves to Everton and Rennes fell through as Lampard wanted Rudiger to leave instead. By the time it emerged that Rudiger wasn’t going to secure a switch and opted to stay, Tomori had just a few days before the deadline to look for something new. He came close to joining West Ham only to change his mind with minutes to spare because he wasn’t convinced about how much he would play under David Moyes.

Tomori must have hoped that he would stay above Rudiger in Lampard’s thoughts and he was on the bench for the three games which immediately followed the window closing, while Rudiger was nowhere to be seen. But positive talks between Rudiger and Lampard changed things. The Germany international was picked as a substitute instead of Tomori for the 0-0 draw at Manchester United. Four days later he was the one trusted to play alongside Zouma when Silva didn’t make the trip to Krasnodar.

The Athletic has been told that Rudiger’s attitude and performances in training have been a key reason why. He has responded really well to the challenge of being left out and showed much better form too. The fact he is a popular character and quite a leader in the dressing room has been to his benefit too.

It also helped that Rudiger’s two appearances were against rather weak opposition in Krasnodar and Newcastle. How Tomori and another ignored defender in Andreas Christensen would have loved that opportunity.

But Lampard was full of praise for Rudiger following the victory at the weekend. He said: “I was pleased with the performance. It’s not easy (to play well after a spell out the side). That means they have to have a good attitude through the week, how they prepare. I have confidence in Toni and his performance alongside Kurt was very strong. For Toni to come in and show what he did, for the team to keep a clean sheet, is brilliant for him, brilliant for me.”

So should Tomori start getting mentally ready to play elsewhere now? Not necessarily because there is still some uncertainty. Chelsea won’t make a definitive decision to let him go just yet because of the possibility of injuries. And with the European Championships next summer, there are no guarantees Rudiger or Denmark international Christensen, who hasn’t played for Chelsea for two months, will be happy acting as a back-up to Silva and Zouma.

It is believed Christensen is still part of Chelsea’s plans. He is regarded as the second-best passing centre-back at the club after Silva so they don’t want to lose him as an option.

When Lampard was asked about Tomori’s situation at the beginning of November, he suggested that he is a victim of circumstance rather than any major issue being at fault.

He said: “I’ve got no problem with Fikayo. I rely on him. That’s clear from when I took him to Derby and how I handled him last year. He’s been a fantastic player for me. He trains very well and when he gets his opportunity, like he had when he came on against Liverpool (in September) and in the Carabao Cup, it’s important he takes them.

“He’s still a developing player. When I say developing, he’s had a great two years. He got himself in the England team, was one of the best defenders in the Championship and then played 20-plus games for Chelsea. It’s normal for a young player sometimes, in a squad as competitive as ours, where there are periods where you maybe aren’t playing every week.”

But given his potential, it would only be normal for Tomori to make sure a loan happens so 2021 has a better outcome.

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

Tomori out, Rudiger in? The latest on Chelsea’s centre-back situation

https://theathletic.com/2212518/2020/11/22/chelsea-defence-tomori-rudiger/

tomori-chelsea-scaled-e1606037968785-1024x682.jpg

The January transfer window can’t come soon enough for Fikayo Tomori.

Sources have told The Athletic that of the five centre-backs in Chelsea’s squad, he is the one most likely to leave, and it could be on loan.

To say 2020 has not been a good year for the England defender is an understatement and Chelsea’s victory over Newcastle provided another reality check over where he stands in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

Even with the inspirational Thiago Silva left out of proceedings — he only arrived back from playing for Brazil on Thursday — Tomori couldn’t get a place on Chelsea’s bench. It means his total playing time in the Premier League over the last ten months or so remains at 109 minutes (one start, one as a sub). The other four appearances were in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

What a contrast to 2019. He was named Derby’s Player of the Year having enjoyed a successful loan in the Championship before becoming a Chelsea regular (19 games in all competitions). He also scored a fantastic goal at Wolves to get off the mark for his boyhood club, was given a new five-year contract and earned a first England cap against Kosovo.

The Athletic first looked into his situation back in February when things had started to go awry, but it is much bleaker nine months on. There have been no major fall-outs between himself and coach Frank Lampard, who was also his manager at Derby and still regards him as a player of great promise.

Tomori made the headlines earlier this month after photos emerged of him attending a dinner with team-mate Callum Hudson-Odoi at a London restaurant, which broke lockdown rules. But it is understood the incident wasn’t deemed that serious by the club or management staff.

A combination of factors has been the cause of Tomori’s regular absence. He suffered a drop in form to begin with and when he was recalled against Bournemouth in February, he struggled during the 2-2 draw.

There was some misfortune as he suffered a muscular injury in June, just before the season restarted. By the time he had recovered, Chelsea were in a real battle to secure a top-four finish and couldn’t afford to pick someone who was short of match fitness, even though the defence was leaking goals.

The arrival of Silva as a free agent from Paris Saint-Germain in the last window was always going to make competition for places even more intense and so it has proved. After a shaky start on debut against West Brom, the 36-year-old has established himself as Chelsea’s best defender and his displays have also had a positive impact on Kurt Zouma’s form.

Lampard trusts the pair. Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in their last nine matches and they have been the central defensive partnership for five of them. Understandably he doesn’t want to rotate too much now there are such signs of progress.

The other two clean sheets, including the one at Newcastle on Saturday, were when Antonio Rudiger was brought in for the rested Silva and herein lies another part of the Tomori saga.

Tomori had offers to leave Chelsea on loan in the last window, however moves to Everton and Rennes fell through as Lampard wanted Rudiger to leave instead. By the time it emerged that Rudiger wasn’t going to secure a switch and opted to stay, Tomori had just a few days before the deadline to look for something new. He came close to joining West Ham only to change his mind with minutes to spare because he wasn’t convinced about how much he would play under David Moyes.

Tomori must have hoped that he would stay above Rudiger in Lampard’s thoughts and he was on the bench for the three games which immediately followed the window closing, while Rudiger was nowhere to be seen. But positive talks between Rudiger and Lampard changed things. The Germany international was picked as a substitute instead of Tomori for the 0-0 draw at Manchester United. Four days later he was the one trusted to play alongside Zouma when Silva didn’t make the trip to Krasnodar.

The Athletic has been told that Rudiger’s attitude and performances in training have been a key reason why. He has responded really well to the challenge of being left out and showed much better form too. The fact he is a popular character and quite a leader in the dressing room has been to his benefit too.

It also helped that Rudiger’s two appearances were against rather weak opposition in Krasnodar and Newcastle. How Tomori and another ignored defender in Andreas Christensen would have loved that opportunity.

But Lampard was full of praise for Rudiger following the victory at the weekend. He said: “I was pleased with the performance. It’s not easy (to play well after a spell out the side). That means they have to have a good attitude through the week, how they prepare. I have confidence in Toni and his performance alongside Kurt was very strong. For Toni to come in and show what he did, for the team to keep a clean sheet, is brilliant for him, brilliant for me.”

So should Tomori start getting mentally ready to play elsewhere now? Not necessarily because there is still some uncertainty. Chelsea won’t make a definitive decision to let him go just yet because of the possibility of injuries. And with the European Championships next summer, there are no guarantees Rudiger or Denmark international Christensen, who hasn’t played for Chelsea for two months, will be happy acting as a back-up to Silva and Zouma.

It is believed Christensen is still part of Chelsea’s plans. He is regarded as the second-best passing centre-back at the club after Silva so they don’t want to lose him as an option.

When Lampard was asked about Tomori’s situation at the beginning of November, he suggested that he is a victim of circumstance rather than any major issue being at fault.

He said: “I’ve got no problem with Fikayo. I rely on him. That’s clear from when I took him to Derby and how I handled him last year. He’s been a fantastic player for me. He trains very well and when he gets his opportunity, like he had when he came on against Liverpool (in September) and in the Carabao Cup, it’s important he takes them.

“He’s still a developing player. When I say developing, he’s had a great two years. He got himself in the England team, was one of the best defenders in the Championship and then played 20-plus games for Chelsea. It’s normal for a young player sometimes, in a squad as competitive as ours, where there are periods where you maybe aren’t playing every week.”

But given his potential, it would only be normal for Tomori to make sure a loan happens so 2021 has a better outcome.

Tbf it seems a bit daft now because he had the offers to go to Rennes or Everton on loan and it didn't happen for whatever reason. Everton signed Ben Godfrey so won't come back for him and Rennes probably got another replacement. Fuck knows where hes going to go in January. He needs to play but again I still don't know who will sign him in the PL realistically. And a Championship loan would be a backwards step 100%.