Super Frank Thread

On 10/28/2020 at 4:16 AM, OneMoSalah said:

I see Frank claims he is being judged differently due to being the only English coach at a top 6 club.

I think he has to remember he flew under the radar from the media when we were struggling last season for some reason or another. And guys like van Gaal, Villas-Boas, Benitez got it worse than he did at other clubs or here. 

I think he could of made excuses last season but not so much now because theres no obvious signs of improvement. Need to start seeing better progress starting tomorrow in an attacking sense. Good opportunity to get a good few goals.

Agreed. Its frustrating but I think Lampard playing victim here is not a smart move in managing perceptions. He's gotten away with it a bit because he's a legendary player. In 1 year + only autumn 2019 was a decent run of results!

Lampard out, he's shit
He still is the worst defense coach in history and every goal we score are clearly individual goals, so we can't give hin credit for that...

Sadly, Lampard has very bad luck with captain injured America. If he ever gets a fully fit Ziyech and Pulisic together, we might turn into a world class team

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

If the last few games are anything to go by, that 3-3 draw against Southampton may have been the game-changing result for Lampard - like the 3-0 loss at Arsenal under Conte. We are not perfect yet but we are starting to look better as a unit in the last 4 games. 

Also, 4-3-3 is forever. 

I have no negative thing to say, we were sublime from first min to last, how it should be. The team about to take shape and if injuries dont bottle-neck us we will be just fine moving ahead becoming a proper squad where everyone knows their part.

On 11/1/2020 at 0:58 AM, Jason said:

If the last few games are anything to go by, that 3-3 draw against Southampton may have been the game-changing result for Lampard - like the 3-0 loss at Arsenal under Conte. We are not perfect yet but we are starting to look better as a unit in the last 4 games. 

Also, 4-3-3 is forever. 

I think it is more about Mendy than Lamp

When people were losing their shit after the United game, I commented that I was actually delighted with the Sevilla and United results and performances because it showed a side to the team and Lampard that hadn't yet been shown during his tenure.

The only way we're going to challenge for the league title is by building a solid defensive base, because not all games will pan out like the Burnley one. Unlike the majority of games last season where we were under-performing our expected goal metrics, our expected goals in the Burnley game wasn't even one so it was nice to show a clinical nature to our game and taking chances when they came. But there will be games during the season we need to grind out a 1-0 and I feel much more confident in recent games that we are capable of now doing this.

It's still a work in progress but the recent games have been very promising.

37 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Unlike the majority of games last season where we were under-performing our expected goal metrics, our expected goals in the Burnley game wasn't even one so it was nice to show a clinical nature to our game and taking chances when they came.

Our xG against Burnley was 1.2 (higher than against Krasnodar, if you exclude the penalties, and definitely higher than against Sevilla and Man United) and while that may seem low, you would expect Zouma to put away that free header (Burnley somehow decided to not mark him) and Werner to put away that chance laid on a plate for him. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Our xG against Burnley was 1.2 (higher than against Krasnodar, if you exclude the penalties, and definitely higher than against Sevilla and Man United) and while that may seem low, you would expect Zouma to put away that free header (Burnley somehow decided to not mark him) and Werner to put away that chance laid on a plate for him. 

Fair enough. Pretty sure on Match of the Day is was 0.96 or something like that. Either way though it's outperforming the metric which is something we haven't done enough in recent times.

I agree I would expect the second and third goals to be scored but that's not happened as regularly as it should have!

Fluid, formidable, with Abraham as ‘false 9’: The 4-3-3 craved by Chelsea fans

https://theathletic.com/2172393/2020/11/01/chelsea-4-3-3-burnley-win/

Chelsea-4-3-3-Ziyech-Kante-Werner-Abraham-scaled-e1604248095471-1024x683.jpg

A win is a win, but not all victories are created equal. Some are unconvincing. Others are unremarkable to the point of being forgotten almost as soon as they are secured. And then there are the ones that feel bigger even in the moment, destined to go down as milestones in the story of a season and in the evolution of a team.

Chelsea have dismantled Burnley at Turf Moor in each of the last three seasons. A 4-0 win in the 2018-19 campaign, achieved without Eden Hazard, arguably represented the closest they ever came to realising the principles of “Sarriball”. Last season the moment belonged to Christian Pulisic, his perfect hat-trick and the “Here I am” performance that heralded the arrival of a new budding superstar in the Premier League.

This time around, their 3-0 win felt like the moment when the raw materials of Frank Lampard’s rebuilding project came together to form something coherent and convincing — a team that constituted the correct sum of illustrious parts assembled by Roman Abramovich’s most spectacular spending spree since 2004.

There was a sense that Lampard had found something in the final 19 minutes of the Krasnodar game, when a flurry goals from Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Pulisic gave Chelsea a lead that reflected their superiority; returning N’Golo Kante to the deep midfield position that defined the final stretch of 2019-20 and flanking him with Mason Mount and Kai Havertz, two players who could just as easily be No 10s.

The tactical shift to 4-3-3 unlocked the attacking potential of the team while granting a level of midfield control that had been perilously lacking against Southampton, Sevilla and Manchester United. After the Krasnodar match Lampard admitted that getting a real look at the system had given him “a lot of answers”, and many Chelsea fans clamoured to see it from the start. They got their wish against Burnley, and the results were just as emphatic as they could have hoped.

A fourth consecutive clean sheet was threatened only once, when Ashley Barnes raced onto Matt Lowton’s diagonal pass in the fifth minute and, rushed by the surging Edouard Mendy, lofted his shot well over the bar. Burnley’s status as one of the Premier League’s most limited attacking units should temper the defensive praise, but Chelsea rarely looked like giving up shots, never mind goals. They defended primarily with the ball, enjoying 70.7 per cent possession in the first half and 57.7 per cent in the second.

The balance of the 4-3-3 was fluid and formidable. Kante snuffed out many passages of Burnley play before they could even begin without ever roaming too far from his position, and his penchant for safer passing options mattered less with so many progressive minds in front of him. There was still the occasional moment when he indulged his more creative impulses; a cross that forced Nick Pope to parry over Tammy Abraham’s looping header, then a stepover and dinked through ball that slipped Werner into a crossing position.

Kante-touch-map-vs-Burnley.png

Kante touch map vs Burnley

Either side of him, Mount and Havertz weaved the patterns of passing angles and movements that maintained Chelsea’s dominance. Mount, in particular, was magnificent in the position that best allows him to showcase the complete array of his contribution. He led the team in shot attempts (three), chances created (three) and tackles (three), as well as completing more passes in the opposition half (47) than anyone else on the pitch.

mount-pass-map-vs-Burnley.png

Mount pass map vs Burnley (incomplete in red)

Chelsea shifted intelligently to best exploit Burnley’s more rigid shape. The assurance with which Thiago Silva marshalled the defence, coupled with the security Kante provided in front of him and Kurt Zouma, allowed Ben Chilwell and Reece James to spend most of their time overloading the home side’s defence on the flanks while Ziyech and Werner drifted infield to link with Mount and Havertz. In the end, Chilwell touched the ball as many times in the Burnley box (four) as Abraham (No 9) who dropped deep to operate almost as a muscular false nine.

Chelsea-average-positions-vs-Burnley.png

Chelsea average positions vs Burnley

Abraham’s selfless shift meant the functional points of Chelsea’s attack were actually Werner (No 11) and Ziyech (No 22), who provided the team’s two goals from open play with clinical finishes in each half. The Moroccan has been exactly as advertised in his first two starts, hunting his own shot with a determination that few Chelsea wide players have shown in recent years and always on the lookout for the opportunity to play a killer pass.

Ziyech-touch-map-vs-Burnley.png

Ziyech touch map vs Burnley

“I expected a lot of him because I was very aware of his qualities and how important they can be to the club,” Lampard said of Ziyech after the match. “He brings a different property to us, with an eye for a pass, his receiving, crossing and assist-making. But what I have seen since he has been here is his absolute personality, when he plays, to want the ball. His work-rate off the ball is very, very good as well. He has brought those qualities and comes with real confidence. He has given us a big boost.”

Negatives for Chelsea were limited to the “small sensation” Pulisic felt in his hamstring during the warm-up at Turf Moor, and the American’s subsequent withdrawal from the starting XI was presented as precautionary. The nature of the display in his absence could only inspire optimism, even if Lampard was keen to keep the good feelings in proportion.

“I knew we couldn’t throw everything up in the air and it would work perfectly,” he insisted. “We are not at the end of the road, but the clean sheets are a great sign of a spine of the team. Thiago and Mendy have massively helped that, but the group, the way we are defending with the mentality, was really positive. I’m not going to jump up and down after a win like this, but it was a really positive day.”

Lampard’s expansive 4-3-3 will face stiffer challenges than a struggling Burnley side, and there will inevitably be more growing pains in the development of this team. But if the system deployed to such great effect at Turf Moor proves to be the tactical framework that unlocks the full potential of this talented Chelsea group in all areas of the pitch, the significance of this win will run far deeper than three points.

Pulisic! the only player I know that can get injured walking onto the pitch.

Getting fed up with Mr Brittle, I know it's early day's but I fear the worst for him, more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.

8 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Pulisic! the only player I know that can get injured walking onto the pitch.

Getting fed up with Mr Brittle, I know it's early day's but I fear the worst for him, more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.

Well if it's any consolation, he's back in training now.