Super Frank Thread

23 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Not including own goals, the squad only scored 61 goals in the league last season. This included 16 goals from Hazard, 6 from Loftus-Cheek, 5 from Morata and 5 from Higuain. That is over half of our Premier League goals last season not available to Lampard this season. Add another 3 for David Luiz and it's even worse.

On top of his 16 goals Hazard had 15 assists in the league as well. So his overall goal contribution (G+A) was more than 50% of the team's goals in the league. Now way can the points total be expected to remain the same with a player like that gone.

Frank has done well to keep the points total even close to the Sarri season where Hazard carried him on his own.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think you are dismissing just how important Hazard was last season. Sarri was able to set up in a safer, more defensive manner in the second half of the season looking to control and keep possession across the defence and midfield because we had arguably the best attacker in the league this last decade. As an example look at last season's home game against West Ham, it was very similar to this year the difference being some magic from Hazard to open them up. Hazard literally carried us throughout the season.

Not including own goals, the squad only scored 61 goals in the league last season. This included 16 goals from Hazard, 6 from Loftus-Cheek, 5 from Morata and 5 from Higuain. That is over half of our Premier League goals last season not available to Lampard this season. Add another 3 for David Luiz and it's even worse.

Pedro had 8 and although Lampard probably should have tried to use him more this season, he was starting to decline last season and when he was playing in the early part of this season I felt he was pretty poor. The player with the next best was Kante on 4 and he has had an injury ravaged season. 

Whilst I would agree that there is definitely some naivety to Lampard's tactics at times, he had to make changes in order for us to carry an attacking threat this season, losing that amount of goals. That has opened us up and left us susceptible to being counter attacked but again, I do feel that whilst nowhere near perfect, the gung ho nature of our play earlier in the season has been toned down as the season has progressed and we are being massively hindered by some poor errors and decisions defensively and, more importantly, a goalkeeper who has completely lost the plot. 

The squad at Sarri's disposal last season wasn't that great either. It was a squad that had been 'strengthened' over the last 2 seasons based on a back 3 formation and system and had failed to make the top 4 in 2 of the previous 3 seasons. 

I felt at the start of the season that if we could keep top 6 amongst what I assumed to be the usual other 5 teams then it would have been a positive season. I think if we can now keep top 4 this season that would be an excellent effort, with the possibility of a cup being the icing on the cake.

I think Lampard has shown enough this season that there are the makings of a very good coach with some of the results we've picked up over the season and he deserves to bring his own players in for next season. I'm very impressed with the players he has moved for, especially if we pick up Havertz. He easily could have spat his dummy out in January with no signings but given who we've moved for rather than making stop gaps, it's definitely the right call whether we get top 4 or not in my opinion. 

Ziyech, Werner and hopefully Havertz added to what we already have in the squad should leave our attack set for years. I don't expect us to fill every hole this summer, but if Lampard can replace Kepa and add something to the back line this summer also then I think there will be significant improvements next year.

4 hours ago, Jype said:

On top of his 16 goals Hazard had 15 assists in the league as well. So his overall goal contribution (G+A) was more than 50% of the team's goals in the league. Now way can the points total be expected to remain the same with a player like that gone.

Frank has done well to keep the points total even close to the Sarri season where Hazard carried him on his own.

Have to agree. Put last season's Hazard in Lampard's Chelsea and I could have seen us 75-80 points. All those  chances we created, Hazard would have scored a few more and created some of his own. Plus our next best offensive midfielder from last year, RLC was injured almost the whole season, Pulisic our current best attacker was injured for almost half the season as well. Lampard has forged an attacking system that has allowed a pure poacher( and not even a class one)like Tammy to score a decent amount of goals and now has Giroud score almost every game. I think some here are giving Lampard way too much stick. Wait at least the next two games. If we win both, the season can be called a success. It is almost as if some people on here want him to fail, which is weird for a fan. Sure, if he doesnt fit the defence by next season, he wont succeed but he should be allowed some mistakes given the shit situation in which he took over.

4th place XXI century:

2000/01 68
2001/02 71
2002/03 67
2003/04 60
2004/05 61
2005/06 67
2006/07 68
2007/08 76
2008/09 72
2009/10 70
2010/11 68
2011/12 69
2012/13 73
2013/14 79
2014/15 70
2015/16 66
2016/17 76
2017/18 75
2018/19 71

Apart from first two seasons in Roman era we would never get top4 with our amount of points this season. So we are lucky a bit.

21 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

As for not seeing a defence this bad you aint been around long enough then.

this is so true

was before I was born (end of 1992), but holy fuck did we have some crappers

eeeeeekkkkkk

Lampard is a rookie topflight coach, so despite my same day raging (heat of the moment and all that), I have to cut him some slack

I just hope he learns from it all

and those CB's and ESPECIALLY Kepa, are some damn unstable rocks upon which to build a decent defence

Klopp had some absolute JOKE games his first two years at the dippers, as he had crap as well in the back

Simon Mignolet    
Loris Karius
Mamadou Sakho   
Dejan Lovren    
Ragnar Klavan   
Martin Skrtel    
Kolo Touré    

I think he finished around exactly where we expected to be after seeing Arsenal and Tottenham had shit seasons. Anything below top 4 considering how the PL panned would've been underachieving in my opinion. That said he definitely over exceeded  my expectations in the FA Cup and if we win it all the better.

Did not know what to expect at the start of the season but despite the tough circumstances and the Jekyll and Hyde performances and results all season, Lampard does deserve credit for getting us into the Top 4. There are definitely areas that we MUST improve on next season and judging by Lampard's post-match interview, he knows it.

I like that Lampard hasn't over celebrated top 4. It is an excellent season considering where we are currently, but his comments show how much further he wants to get to and doesn't want just top 4 to be the benchmark for Chelsea.

Congrats to frank for a wonderful first season. Top 4 is a brilliant achievement. He has done many thing right especially incorporating young player in to the team. With Tomori, mount, tammy, reece, gilmour we have 5 "new" signing this seaaon and Lamp has done well utilizing them. 

Now here come the difficult part, by taking this team to top 4. Lamp has increased expectations for Chelsea. Next season, he will need to guide us to at least competing with the top 2. I don't expect us to win the league, with our midfield and gk, I don't think we can, but we need to be closer 

Really happy for Lampard and the team.

A new manager who doesnt have much experience, no transfer to back him, our best player goes away, our new signings were players under 21/22 ... I had low expectation at the start, all I wanted was that we dont get relegated anything else was good. But today Lampard has exceeded all expectation for me.

He has shown all traits of being brilliant, normal/average and ridiculously poor in the entire season. I hope and really hope that he goes back to the drawing board to uses the experience from this season combined with his experience as a player to keep upgrading his strategy.

He has kept a marker now and anything less for next season would be a failure. I really hope Board believes in the manager and have a long time vision rather than short term gains. 

KTBFFH!!!