We Will Buy British

Various

Chelsea will spend their millions on British players

Chelsea aim to sign 'young English players' despite spending their millions on foreign players this summer.

The London side spent £24million on Portugal's Deco and Jose Bosingwa this summer.

The last Englishman they signed to become a first team star was Ashley Cole from Arsenal in 2006.

But Buck defended the club's transfer policy.

'One of our priorities is finding English players,' he said.

'They settle quickly and understand the English game.'

Who's on the hit list then?

Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather they went down the route of bringing them through the ranks instead of paying overboard prices for them. If we're to be anyway "self sufficient" then we have to do it that way.

Current English players are over priced and you can pick up similar players for a fraction of the price abroad.

I think the comment is more about for the academy that the first team. Buying English players for the first team is not easy at all, we need to trying to develop our crop of English talent, which i think we are doing very well at: Mancienne, Cork and Bertrand in the England U21's set up and plenty more down the ages.

Taylor (although Welsh) is being involved with the first team a lot now. Then we have an excellant crop in the reserves: Magnay, Nana-Ofori, Hutchinson, Bridcutt, Woods, Mellis....

So i think it more in that sense than finding English players for the first team outside of our academy.