Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

10. Christian Pulisic

nachikethas
Followers 7

Having followed players with the same recurring injuries as Pulisic, my take is that his fight isn't for the season, but for his career, at least, in top-flight clubs.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a lovely little ball for the 4th that was.

Read an article today that shows at present his productivity with and without the ball is overall pretty poor compared to the other players in his position. He averages fewer tackles per 90 mins

Everyone has their opinion and I respect that but I just find his apprehension (if that's the right word) towards Pulisic somewhat bemusing. Loan him out to learn his trade? Really? If Pulisic was som

Posted Images

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Having followed players with the same recurring injuries as Pulisic, my take is that his fight isn't for the season, but for his career, at least, in top-flight clubs.

The thing with Pulisic is he has been clear of his injury problem since November. Not saying it's all gone or resolved but that was his last major injury. Since then, he has not shown the kind of form he showed last season, not even glimpses of it. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

The thing with Pulisic is he has been clear of his injury problem since November. Not saying it's all gone or resolved but that was his last major injury. Since then, he has not shown the kind of form he showed last season, not even glimpses of it. 

ah I don't disagree. The point being, is that he is fully aware of the situation and so is the club. They might even be working on him to strengthen muscles and what not, which would def affect his form - they wouldn't disclose that info.

So, I'm afraid the priority for him isn't the season, but his Chelsea career. 

On 05/03/2021 at 12:47, killer1257 said:

Question is if he is actually suited for our current system. I don't see him as a no. 10

Cho is just better than Puli in our current system. Puli is not strong enough to play wing back and it even seems TT prefers Ziyech over him atm. 

He's not going to play the striker position ever and no one is starting over Mount. 

Really just one spot being a false 9 or if TT allows him to play on the left side in attack and move Werner up top consistently. Just doesn't look promising for him with the formation we deploy.

That being said our attack really hasn't been good ever since Tuchel has taken over so I hope he starts giving more players a chance like Pulisic and Kai. 

Just now, Blues11 said:

Cho is just better than Puli in our current system. Puli is not strong enough to play wing back and it even seems TT prefers Ziyech over him atm. 

He's not going to play the striker position ever and no one is starting over Mount. 

Really just one spot being a false 9 or if TT allows him to play on the left side in attack and move Werner up top consistently. Just doesn't look promising for him with the formation we deploy.

That being said our attack really hasn't been good ever since Tuchel has taken over so I hope he starts giving more players a chance like Pulisic and Kai. 

Lets be honest he isnt going to be preferring Ziyech for much longer if he keeps playing as he is.

Did you not watch v Liverpool? Or just assuming that because it was only 1-0 that we didnt make any decent opportunities that we just didnt finish? 

11 minutes ago, Blues11 said:

We can argue all day about whether Pulisic suits Tuchel's current system. The biggest problem with Pulisic right now is that he's just "dead". He's not even showing any kind of form, not even glimpses of it. Not under Tuchel and not even when he played in his winger role and played lots of minutes under Lampard this season. A few other players - e.g. CHO, James - aren't necessarily suited to Tuchel's back 3 system but at the very least, they are doing alright. They are showing some kind of form. But Pulisic? He's just like a ghost at the moment, he's just like an extra doing zilch. 

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

We can argue all day about whether Pulisic suits Tuchel's current system. The biggest problem with Pulisic right now is that he's just "dead". He's not even showing any kind of form, not even glimpses of it. Not under Tuchel and not even when he played in his winger role and played lots of minutes under Lampard this season. A few other players - e.g. CHO, James - aren't necessarily suited to Tuchel's back 3 system but at the very least, they are doing alright. They are showing some kind of form. But Pulisic? He's just like a ghost at the moment, he's just like an extra doing zilch. 

Same could be said of Ziyech and Harvetz (although he hasn't really been seen, to be fair.) 

Personally, I am not giving up on Puli yet, he has a very good second half of last season and this one has been a strange one. That said, next Summer is going to be interesting. If we continue with the current formation it is hard to see all of: CHO, Puli, Ziyech, Harvetz and Werner staying. 

For me the one most in danger would be Ziyech, he wasn't that expensive, is the oldest and I could see him appealing to a number of teams on the continent. 

1 minute ago, King Kante said:

Same could be said of Ziyech and Harvetz (although he hasn't really been seen, to be fair.) 

Personally, I am not giving up on Puli yet, he has a very good second half of last season and this one has been a strange one. That said, next Summer is going to be interesting. If we continue with the current formation it is hard to see all of: CHO, Puli, Ziyech, Harvetz and Werner staying. 

For me the one most in danger would be Ziyech, he wasn't that expensive, is the oldest and I could see him appealing to a number of teams on the continent. 

But the difference between Pulisic and Ziyech as well as Havertz is that this is Pulisic's second season at the club. Am sure we all expected him to kick on from what he showed last season but he hasn't done that at all. The others have at least factors like it's their first season in England, getting COVID-19 (in Havertz's case) for why they haven't shown their best form, even if we want them to do great/better as well regardless.

And current formation or not, we do seem to have too many players upfront and players that want to be playing week in week out. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed down.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

But the difference between Pulisic and Ziyech as well as Havertz is that this is Pulisic's second season at the club. Am sure we all expected him to kick on from what he showed last season but he hasn't done that at all. The others have at least factors like it's their first season in England, getting COVID-19 (in Havertz's case) for why they haven't shown their best form, even if we want them to do great/better as well regardless.

And current formation or not, we do seem to have too many players upfront and players that want to be playing week in week out. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed down.

I understand where you are coming from but I personally am not sold on selling a 22 year old who has had his injuries who also showed as much potential as he did in the second half of last season. 

Ziyech, for me is the one most in trouble. Although he is new to the league he is peak age and he looks completely out of his depth in regards to the pace of the league like Cuadrado did. Further, he has been equally as bad as Puli and whilst he may get better I go back to what I have seen both do at their best and Puli seems the better fit. Ziyech needs too much space and time to be effective imo, even at his best. 

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I understand where you are coming from but I personally am not sold on selling a 22 year old who has had his injuries who also showed as much potential as he did in the second half of last season. 

Ziyech, for me is the one most in trouble. Although he is new to the league he is peak age and he looks completely out of his depth in regards to the pace of the league like Cuadrado did. Further, he has been equally as bad as Puli and whilst he may get better I go back to what I have seen both do at their best and Puli seems the better fit. Ziyech needs too much space and time to be effective imo, even at his best. 

Am not saying we should sell Pulisic now. All I'm basically saying is...WHAT THE F HAS HAPPENED TO PULISIC?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Am not saying we should sell Pulisic now. All I'm basically saying is...WHAT THE F HAS HAPPENED TO PULISIC?

He has been injured as is struggling to pick the pace of the game up again? 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

He has been injured as is struggling to pick the pace of the game up again? 

But his last notable/major injury was back in November?

Since returning in late November, Pulisic has not featured in only 5 out of our last 24 games (played over 1000 minutes in the other 19 games) - missed 2 games due to tight hamstring (Everton and Southampton), 1 due to family issue (Sheffield United) and was an unused sub in the remaining 2 games (Krasnodar and Newcastle). He has looked fine physically.

Well, this is what happens if you don't even give him a chance. It's even worse when Timo has been average this whole time, yet he is the first name on the teamsheet.

I fully get his decision to leave, if it has come to that point.

3 minutes ago, Azul said:

Well, this is what happens if you don't even give him a chance. It's even worse when Timo has been average this whole time, yet he is the first name on the teamsheet.

I fully get his decision to leave, if it has come to that point.

Okay, let's make it as if Werner is preventing Pulisic from getting into the XI. Tuchel did not play/start Werner against Wolves and Man United but chose to not start with Pulisic anyway. There were also games when Tuchel could have chosen Pulisic to play with Werner and Mount but he went with CHO or Ziyech.

On the bigger picture though, we do have a lot of attacking players in the squad. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed because everyone of them would want to be in the starting XI.

It is in his hands. Why he cannot perform like last season? Because if he does Werner, Mount and Ziyech would not be able to compete with him and he would play ahead of them easily.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Okay, let's make it as if Werner is preventing Pulisic from getting into the XI. Tuchel did not play/start Werner against Wolves and Man United but chose to not start with Pulisic anyway. There were also games when Tuchel could have chosen Pulisic to play with Werner and Mount but he went with CHO or Ziyech.

On the bigger picture though, we do have a lot of attacking players in the squad. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed because everyone of them would want to be in the starting XI.

Or the 3 at the back needs to go, which I imagine will come next season. 

Also, according to Buck, a reason Pulisic was purchased was to tap into the American market, as that is where the real money lies. No way will we move him on after only 2 years.