Christian Pulisic

the wes

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Like another poster in another player thread, not sure how many times you need to come in here and basically say "I don't think Pulisic is a good signing. I'll need to be convinced otherwise". We get it...

I didnt say he isnt good signing, I just find it funny how people see Pulisic rip Haiti apart and then post stuff like "yeah he is going to be some player" while at same time they are probably disliking Willian.

If he flops, will I get a cookie for being right to doubt the signing? Obviously not. So no I dont want to write over and over that he didnt convince me. However people here get off to some petty highlights and I will try to reason them to save the later dissapointment which is possible.

And if Im wrong and he rips the league apart, yippee because Chelsea will benefit the most then.

19 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

I didnt say he isnt good signing, I just find it funny how people see Pulisic rip Haiti apart and then post stuff like "yeah he is going to be some player" while at same time they are probably disliking Willian.

If he flops, will I get a cookie for being right to doubt the signing? Obviously not. So no I dont want to write over and over that he didnt convince me. However people here get off to some petty highlights and I will try to reason them to save the later dissapointment which is possible.

And if Im wrong and he rips the league apart, yippee because Chelsea will benefit the most then.

Yes, it's only Haiti but at the end of the day, it's about having the desire to perform and confidence to make a difference. He's certainly made a difference so far and it's not often easy for a 21-year-old to handle the pressure and all the spotlight of an entire nation, who expect you to lead what is pretty much an average side to win and make a difference every time you step out on the field. From what he's shown with Dortmund and USA, there is certainly a good player in there and there is a good base for Lampard, Morris etc to work on.

19 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

You're comparing a young player, who can be understandably inconsistent given his age, with a player who is in his prime age and should be performing consistently...really? 

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes, it's only Haiti but at the end of the day, it's about having the desire to perform and confidence to make a difference. He's certainly made a difference so far and it's not often easy for a 21-year-old to handle the pressure and all the spotlight of an entire nation, who expect you to lead what is pretty much an average side to win and make a difference every time you step out on the field. From what he's shown with Dortmund and USA, there is certainly a good player in there and there is a good base for Lampard, Morris etc to work on.

You're comparing a young player, who can be understandably inconsistent given his age, with a player who is in his prime age and should be performing consistently...really? 

He is 20! People forget that he is a kid. Yeah, the quality of opposition is not great but USA are not great by any means too and he has stepped up big time. I like what I am seeing and the signs are promising. 

1 minute ago, Stats said:

He is 20! People forget that he is a kid. Yeah, the quality of opposition is not great but USA are not great by any means too and he has stepped up big time. I like what I am seeing and the signs are promising. 

He turns 21 in September and while it's only July, I'll just assume he's 21 already. :P 

Just now, Jason said:

He turns 21 in September and while it's only July, I'll just assume he's 21 already. :P 

3 months is still a while away and if he was born this month, academically he would be considered a year older so it makes a difference :P

2 hours ago, Stats said:

Let's see what we can do against Mexico.

9 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

So far he only played against a bunch of pub teams in gold cup. The only good team there is Mexico, so lets see how he does in the final.

What about the countless Bundesliga matches over the last 4 years where hes turned in good performances against the likes of Schalke, Leverkusen  Mochengladbach, Bayern, Hoffenheim, whoever else? Again, like club games, at international you can only beat who is in front of you, players can only perform against whoever their up against. We are talking about a guy with 100+ games in one of the better European leagues in the world at the age of 20. But I suppose this means CHO's England debut vs Montenegro meant nothing either? You could consider them a "pub team".....

If you can perform well at 19 or 20 against Bayern Munich you can definitely perform against anybody. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

What about the countless Bundesliga matches over the last 4 years where hes turned in good performances against the likes of Schalke, Leverkusen  Mochengladbach, Bayern, Hoffenheim, whoever else? Again, like club games, at international you can only beat who is in front of you, players can only perform against whoever their up against. We are talking about a guy with 100+ games in one of the better European leagues in the world at the age of 20. But I suppose this means CHO's England debut vs Montenegro meant nothing either? You could consider them a "pub team".....

If you can perform well at 19 or 20 against Bayern Munich you can definitely perform against anybody. 

I only sad the gold cup performances mean little. Why are you comparing Bundesliga teams now? Obbiously he had some good games in BL against good sides. I never said he is shit or plays well only against average sides. 

But since you mention BL, lets not disregard the fact that he was benched by Larson. Obviously he had injury in the start, but he recovered and still didnt get ahead of Larson, not to mention Sancho. 

Hopefuly you dont find Montenegro on same level as Haiti either. Montenegro is at least twice better team with couple serie a, ligue 1, la liga players. Do people even know how bad gold cup teams are with exception of Mexico? And still I dont take anything from CHO game vs Montenegro. Its a step in his career. I dont rate him higher or lower because of that. I have high hopes because he delivered in PL and Europa, not because he got a good/bad game for national team. 

Pulisic is ok talent, he isnt spectacular. He may reach high levels one day, but of all players we could pick better one for roughly 60m. Or worse one. 

Lets see how he does in PL. As I said many times, he didnt convince me so far. But lets not pretend he is some massive talent. He might become great player, but he shown little so far. Even for a 21 year old. There are many players who are very good already at that age and cost 60m, not just potential.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Man thats gold cup. McKennie is having a blast tournament too, arguably even more consistent than Pulisic. He is basicaly too doing what you praise Pulisic for. Stop making his role as if he is guiding USA to world cup title. Their games in europe will show their value. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Obviously you will compare them. We lost a starting winger and we had to bring a replacement. So what if he is young? Dembele was young. De Ligt is young. Sancho is young. Joao Felix is young. And they would all be compared to senior players because they are good enough. Age is just number, you are either ready or not. But I shouldnt compare him to Willian? Why? Are you admiting Pulisic isnt big talent? Because if he was, you would gladly compare him to our other wingers and not look excuses with his age. If we bought Mbappe, you'd compare him to Willian too, even if he is like 20. Its all about the level of quality. We forked 60m on Pulisic and if he isnt first team material, but just some young future kiddo, then how can you justify 60m tag? Did we just pay that so we can still play Willian and Pedro? And if he is considered first team material, then he should be compared to Willian and Pedro, because the better ones will play games. 

Pulisic has been tearing up the Gold Cup. Player of the tournament so far. I might, jusr might be starting to get a little buzz of the thought of seeing him play against United. Prem is a different animal of course but the lad will be coming off the back of a fantastic tounramnet and playing for his new club. Expect a good start from him.

8 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Man thats gold cup. McKennie is having a blast tournament too, arguably even more consistent than Pulisic. He is basicaly too doing what you praise Pulisic for. Stop making his role as if he is guiding USA to world cup title. Their games in europe will show their value. 

For someone who said "I'm not even paying that much attention to Gold Cup", you sure seem to have been following it closely!

8 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Obviously you will compare them. We lost a starting winger and we had to bring a replacement. So what if he is young? Dembele was young. De Ligt is young. Sancho is young. Joao Felix is young. And they would all be compared to senior players because they are good enough. Age is just number, you are either ready or not. But I shouldnt compare him to Willian? Why? Are you admiting Pulisic isnt big talent? Because if he was, you would gladly compare him to our other wingers and not look excuses with his age. If we bought Mbappe, you'd compare him to Willian too, even if he is like 20. Its all about the level of quality. We forked 60m on Pulisic and if he isnt first team material, but just some young future kiddo, then how can you justify 60m tag? Did we just pay that so we can still play Willian and Pedro? And if he is considered first team material, then he should be compared to Willian and Pedro, because the better ones will play games. 

Yes, you expect young players to perform as well but at the same time, some leeway are given to them because they are still young, can be inconsistent etc. It's different to players say in their late 20s, when they are supposed to be at their peak, when they are supposed to be performing week in week out consistently. Less or zero leeway given to them. 

4 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

When is he expected to join up with the squad?

It is a FIFA rule that obliges clubs to give their players a minimum of at least two weeks of holidays after their (players') season ends, so the earliest would be Monday, July 22. Would not be able to join sooner even if he'd want to, the rule is obligatory.