Pearce Slams Chelsea

PEARCE HITS OUT AT Chelsea

England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has launched a scathing attack on Chelsea's transfer policy.

The former Manchester City boss has accused the Stamford Bridge side of buying many of the Premier League's leading players before leaving them to rot in their reserves.

Pearce saw Shaun Wright-Phillips leave Eastlands in a £21million deal in the summer of 2005 when he was at the helm in the blue half of Manchester.

But the England international was never able to establish himself under Jose Mourinho, and eventually returned north after just 43 league starts in three years.

Pearce believes emerging players would be better served by continuing their education away from Chelsea, and feels even established stars can fall victim to the strength in depth of the Blues.

He told The Sun: "If a lad rang me and said 'I'm 16, playing at Crewe and Chelsea have come in for me, what do you think I should do?' I would reply 'stay where you are and play some football with the club you are at'.

"I watched Chelsea train last year. I saw Steve Sidwell, Reading's best player from the previous season, and Tal Ben Haim, Bolton's best player from the year before. But neither was in the first team.

"So Chelsea have cherry-picked the best players from elsewhere and stockpiled them. That is not right.

"I've seen too may players move club, then suddenly their careers seem to grind to a halt."

Ironic considering they are going to be doing exactly the same thing come January/ the summer.

SWP had many chances to fulfill his potential but never lived up to the hype. Sidwell and Ben Haim were both brought in on free transfers on the basis that JM was told he had no money to spend and these 2 players were available .

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I pointed out to someone already - Mikel, Kalou, Joe Cole, Essien......is Pearce suggesting none of these have 'developed' at Chelsea? What about Robben's development while he was with us? JT, Lampard - pretty decent development of their careers at Chelsea no? Even someone like Alex - sent on loan for a few years then brought back into the first team.....isnt that development either? or does Pearce see all these as examples of 'stockpiling' as well?

Dick.

As I pointed out to someone already - Mikel, Kalou, Joe Cole, Essien......is Pearce suggesting none of these have 'developed' at Chelsea? What about Robben's development while he was with us? JT, Lampard - pretty decent development of their careers at Chelsea no? Even someone like Alex - sent on loan for a few years then brought back into the first team.....isnt that development either? or does Pearce see all these as examples of 'stockpiling' as well?

Dick.

Add Didier Drogba, petr Cech(6 million pound steal)...to that list.

Its not as though Chelsea are the 'ChildCatchers'. The players have a choice, they're not kidnapped. Its not our fault if they're greedy.

I like the ex-punk Pearce, but he will have to eat his words now hes at the richest club in the World.

I would hope that Pearce has been misquoted somewhere because he would be pretty stupid to say something like that. Especially considering we currently have 2 players in his U21's team (Mancienne and Bertrand) and plenty more England internationals down the age groups.

If he is basing this whole assessment of Chelsea on SWP then he is a even bigger plum!

he must have been mis quoted, why would he single out Chelsea?? typicl media hatred towards us again.

SWP had plenty of time to re produce the form he enjoyed at his first spell at man city but never did

ben hiam was never good enough, he was brought in as cover not as a first team regular, yes he was a good player for bolton, but us? no way

sidwell, at the start of the season he had plenty of games but was awful in each one, again, yes he was readings best player, but never reproduced for us.

terry lamps joey cole ashley cole bridgey... all members of the england first team squad

carlton cole, currently west hams first choice striker, came through our academy

a number of young players on loan in the lower leagues, sahar at pompy, jimmy smith, wosley moved to leicester in the summer, we have a number of young talent knocking on the door of the first team ie sinclair mancienne di santo etc

we have developed many many many players careers and the last few years, cech, drogba, robben, kezman, geremi, mikel, essien, gudjohnsen

stockpilling?? or something every club in the premiership does??

man utd have recently signed berbatov... to add to the forwards already in the squad, rooney ronaldo, tevez, campbell, giggs, park

is that stockpilling or have stength in depth??