Callum Wilson

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Its looking we are going to be needing a paddle as we don't have many options open for a striker do we.

Haller or Jovic from Frankfurt look like good options. Or convince Cavani to take a one year contract (and get PSG to sell him in January... GOOD LUCK with that).

Piątek has come back down to earth.

Maybe an ageing Dzeko? Not sold on him. Icardi is soon off the table.

It is a grim situation.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:35 PM, Vesper said:

Haller or Jovic from Frankfurt look like good options. Or convince Cavani to take a one year contract (and get PSG to sell him in January... GOOD LUCK with that).

Piątek has come back down to earth.

Maybe an ageing Dzeko? Not sold on him. Icardi is soon off the table.

It is a grim situation.

I'd jump on either Cavani or Higuain  to be honest.

Theres always Carol of course who I see is nice and fresh after not playing since Jan 2nd I'm just watching lol

On 09/11/2018 at 11:55 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Absolute non-starter. Not technically good enough. He's a good solid striker but we need an outstanding one. We want to be the best and that takes the best players. I like Callum as a player but he does not qualify.

Iyho mr Greavsie , money no object if needed ... hit me with your 123 top strikers we should go for? short term mid long term taken into account if needed? And how do you think Jimmy Greaves would fit in now at CFC in modern day footie? 

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, mccg said:

Iyho mr Greavsie , money no object if needed ... hit me with your 123 top strikers we should go for? short term mid long term taken into account if needed? And how do you think Jimmy Greaves would fit in now at CFC in modern day footie? 

I watch less football than I used to so not sure I'm qualified to make a definitive list of a 'top' three. What I do feel able to do is judge whether a potential target meets the quality threshold. My older daughter is currently applying for a big promotion at work. In her application she has to show, with documented, provable examples, that she has the competencies required. If she can't convince the selection panel about that then she won't even get an interview. I like Callum, he's in more than one of my fantasy teams but moving to Chelsea would be a promotion for him. I'm afraid however he that doesn't have the competencies. 

As for Jimmy, this takes some fantasy thinking because the 'real' Greavsie would not get in this side. In the modern world a footballer who smoked heavily, and was eventually revealed to be an alcoholic, could not make it at top level. If however we can fantasise that in modern times he would take care of himself, then the famous quote about selecting an all time Chelsea XI would apply. "When picking an all time Chelsea XI, you start with Jimmy Greaves then think about ten other names." If Greaves was on the books currently you'd think the same way and recognise that the best thing to do is shape the rest of the squad to get the most out of him.

Jimmy currently lies second in the all time scoring charts of Europe's big leagues, nine goals behind Lionel Messi. In each case those figures were amassed over fourteen seasons but bear in mind that, while Messi has gone from strength to strength, Greavsie's lifestyle meant his powers were in decline from about half way through his career. Jimmy tells a story which gives a clue how things were in his later footballing years. "Chelsea fans say I was at my best when I played for Chelsea. Tottenham fans say I was at my best when I played for Tottenham. West Ham fans say I was at my best when I played for Chelsea or Tottenham."

3 minutes ago, mccg said:

Yeah just read this in a dif write up.

Seems like Magic Box likes him.

38 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Can it be any worse than what we have now? It wouldn't even be a risk in January.

Fuck all to lose.

The reason we currently have a mediocre squad is because we have been settling for crap. Liverpool of all clubs identify targets and get them. They waited for VVD, Alisson, Keita and look how that has worked out well for them. I would rather we spend big on 1 or 2 quality players that improve our starting 11 instead of paying big money for the Drinkwaters and Barkleys of the world only to find them redundant in 6 months and hard to get rid of because of the potential transfer fees involved and wages they are on.

5 minutes ago, Vybzkartel said:

The reason we currently have a mediocre squad is because we have been settling for crap. Liverpool of all clubs identify targets and get them. They waited for VVD, Alisson, Keita and look how that has worked out well for them. I would rather we spend big on 1 or 2 quality players that improve our starting 11 instead of paying big money for the Drinkwaters and Barkleys of the world only to find them redundant in 6 months and hard to get rid of because of the potential transfer fees involved and wages they are on.

Your missing the point, we are going shopping in January and these so called top strikers are not available, and right now we are an injury and suspension from absolute disaster.

Yes in the last few games we haven't played with a striker but there could be a huge issue if something happens. There is a problem at this club now with mis firing strikers right now, we have to look at short term fix, with Wilson it maybe not be the superstar signing everyone craves for, but in January it ain't happening.

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

Your missing the point, we are going shopping in January and these so called top strikers are not available, and right now we are an injury and suspension from absolute disaster.

Yes in the last few games we haven't played with a striker but there could be a huge issue if something happens. There is a problem at this club now with mis firing strikers right now, we have to look at short term fix, with Wilson it maybe not be the superstar signing everyone craves for, but in January it ain't happening.

In this case bring back Michy instead of spending money on a player not good enough for us. Save the money for the right player. Just look at the DD situation. 

3 minutes ago, Vybzkartel said:

In this case bring back Michy instead of spending money on a player not good enough for us. Save the money for the right player. Just look at the DD situation. 

Right now MB isn't good enough for us, he's been utter crap for Valencia.

What an ambitious signing this would be. Imagine how the likes of City, Liverpool, and the rest of the elite European sides would feel seeing Chelsea line up with Callum Wilson as their #9 should we make it back into the CL next season. They'll be terrified! 

In all seriousness, he's the sort of player who I'd take here for sure if he cost £20-25m and was our backup. Matt Law has suggested that Bournemouth would be demanding £50m or more. We'd be making a Drinkwater level mistake at that price.

No more average or above average striker purchases, please! FFS, can we just splurge out on a proper top class striker?! We did so on a goalkeeper, why not arguably the most important position on the pitch? 

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

Exactly. Then hopefully in summer can get some real business done rather then faffing around with managers again. 

Lol, not gonna happen. If we sign some underwhelming overpriced stop-gap, then the board will relax and think their job is done. We won't buy another striker for a few years then, definitely not a top one. If we get him, next season he'll be fighting out with Giroud and possibly Morata or Bats still - all backup/reserve level. I've little doubt the board view him as good enough.

49 minutes ago, Pizy said:

What an ambitious signing this would be. Imagine how the likes of City, Liverpool, and the rest of the elite European sides would feel seeing Chelsea line up with Callum Wilson as their #9 should we make it back into the CL next season. They'll be terrified! 

In all seriousness, he's the sort of player who I'd take here for sure if he cost £20-25m and was our backup. Matt Law has suggested that Bournemouth would be demanding £50m or more. We'd be making a Drinkwater level mistake at that price.

No more average or above average striker purchases, please! FFS, can we just splurge out on a proper top class striker?! We did so on a goalkeeper, why not arguably the most important position on the pitch? 

Wilson looks great to me, We aiint buying world class strikers for a number of reasons.

main reasons are money, No CL guarantee and we hate agents.

You only need to look at utd to see its not always about buying the best toys in the shop!

Wilson, Pulisic and martial would be a good shout for jan but pfft who knows.

Hardly anyone thought Azi, Alonso, Rudi etc would turn out well even kante many doubted 

We need to stop looking at ffp rule breakers city and produce another winning team not individuals 

If Roman doesnt sell the club that is! Could also answer questions about our signing ambitions!

31 minutes ago, manpe said:

Lol, not gonna happen. If we sign some underwhelming overpriced stop-gap, then the board will relax and think their job is done. We won't buy another striker for a few years then, definitely not a top one. If we get him, next season he'll be fighting out with Giroud and possibly Morata or Bats still - all backup/reserve level. I've little doubt the board view him as good enough.

True.. Knowing the board and their history just faff around. We get linked with various player. Get excited till the last week when sod all has happened so far and it doesn't. Their vision is way way off lately 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You