the wes
Followers 2

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching the Leeds and Wigan and once again have to say, what a performance! Been watching the whole game. Relegation threatened Wigan with 10 men have beaten promotion chasing Leeds on their own patc

July 2019 "we'll be patient with these young players" July 2020 "what's the point of him"

Watching the game against Norwich and has been the standout player and most obvious choice for MOTM. His strength is ridiculous. Amazing how he is relied on for their set pieces also. Real gem we have

Posted Images

His absence can really hurt us. Shame we could not get hakimi. This is CHO‘s chance to make this position his own. But as I know TT he will play Azpi all the time lol 

54 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

His absence can really hurt us. Shame we could not get hakimi. This is CHO‘s chance to make this position his own. But as I know TT he will play Azpi all the time lol 

This may be harsh, but what is the point of Azpi as a WB against quality teams? He is suspect against any decent winger/ wide forward, at the slightest pressure hoofs the ball to the opposition.

Edited by Clockwork
1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

This may be harsh, but what is the point of Azpi as a WB against quality teams? He is suspect against any decent winger/ wide forward, at the slightest pressure hoofs the ball to the opposition.

I think he is suspect against high pressing teams only. When teams press the midfield and our wingbacks particularly, his limitations on the ball are shown. 

Named in England squad for WC qualifiers. Looks like new about his injury could last for three months for not true. Still I'm worried they make him play when not fully fit like Déschamps doing it with Kanté regularly.

• 4 weeks later...

Early sample size but based on his two penalties in the respective EFL cup shootouts I wonder if he may end up climbing the pecking order for the spot kicks in regulation play? Possibly even taking over from Jorgi when the time comes. 

42 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Early sample size but based on his two penalties in the respective EFL cup shootouts I wonder if he may end up climbing the pecking order for the spot kicks in regulation play? Possibly even taking over from Jorgi when the time comes. 

James, Chilwell, Alonso even going before with Cole... I don't remember any full backs missing pens. They are usually very reliable. 

Delighted for the lad. Was one of the first to jump aboard the Reece James hypetrain during his time at Wigan and never looked back...

Such well rounded player. Good pysical attributes, Astute on the ball, humble attitude, not afraid to take responsibility. Does not surprise me one bit he now gets the plaudits he deserves. Both goals amazingly well taken.

Wingbacks are crucial for our offensive system and he fuliflls that role maybe even better than Hakimi (who is doing fine himself) does atm for PSG.

• Like 1

He is the most complete RB/RWB. Brilliant defender, brilliant technical ability, brilliant physical attributes, brilliant crosser and now a brilliant eye for goal too. His general offensive play as improved too. I think TAA is a top player but it is crazy the hype he gets as soon he delivers a top assist or so and the calls for him to be in England team by media. Do you here anyway near the same hype for James? No.  James is 21 and arguably best RB/RWB out there right now for sure, well England's best RB/RWB for sure.

29 minutes ago, Stats said:

He is the most complete RB/RWB. Brilliant defender, brilliant technical ability, brilliant physical attributes, brilliant crosser and now a brilliant eye for goal too. His general offensive play as improved too. I think TAA is a top player but it is crazy the hype he gets as soon he delivers a top assist or so and the calls for him to be in England team by media. Do you here anyway near the same hype for James? No.  James is 21 and arguably best RB/RWB out there right now for sure, well England's best RB/RWB for sure.

there are 6 WC RB/RWB out there, then the drop off is insane

and two of the 6 no longer even play at RB atm

RB is the weakest position on the globe overall

in order

Joshua Kimmich (mostly plays at DMF now, where is also the best in the world there)
Achraf Hakimi 
Trent Alexander-Arnold    
Reece James   
João Cancelo (now plays at LB)   
Kyle Walker

Walker turns 32yo in May, so has at most 2 top seasons left

the next group I see who could get to the top 6 level is so small, and we just lost one of them (Livramento)

the other 2 are

Ridle Baku (now playing RWer atm) and Matty Cash (my two targets)

AWB is massively overrated

Sergiño Dest is also overrated IMHO, at least atm, as is Pavard (although I would not complain if he was on our squad)

Azpi is still so good at defence, but he is hardly an offensive force and time will soon catch up

• Like 1

Completely agree with Cash, fantastic player.

Reece needs to keep up the consistency in attack, his deliveries were great when he was out on loan, they dropped off, now back go being an offensive asset. Obviously, goals are goals, which is great, I'm more pleased to see Reece doing what Tuchel is asking, same for Chilwell.

James is quite a complete player, two good feet and reads the game very well for his age. I still not sure he will spend his entire career at RB/RWB however as he isn't that quick compared to some others' and I think his crossing is much better when he gets to set himself (which is hard at RWB as a lot of the time you have to play the ball first time.) Personally, I could certainly see him moving to RCB or DM/CM (think Essien) in the next couple of years. That goes double if Livra keeps on improving at his current rate and we activate the buy back. 

Either way, he'll be a Chelsea player for a long time. 

On 31/10/2021 at 12:12, Stats said:

Another example. Alexander-Arnold makes two assists yesterday and already BBC are doing articles about him having to be England’s first choice RB.

Did we see the same for James when he scored and assisted against Arsenal or scored 2 against Newcastle?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59142104