24. Reece James

the wes

My only fear is that Southgate will realise he's more complete than TAA and will select him for England over TAA. 
Fuck international football. 
Will not happen. TAA is a much bigger name than RJ and he plays for Liverpool

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Just now, killer1257 said:

Trent badly underwhelms for England, Southgate picked Trippier over him even when the former was bang on form at club level. 

6 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

TAA is more of a winger than a true fullback for me

he is poor defensively, his fame is that wand of a right foot

he is like a sturdier, inverted Ziyech

Reece will end up, career-wise a better fullback in the true all-round fullback sense

James' defensive game is becoming fearsome

Lamps has lit a rocket up his arse

no more loafing about and drifting like he used to at times

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Trent badly underwhelms for England, Southgate picked Trippier over him even when the former was bang on form at club level. 

never underestimate the pressure to play bindipperpool and manure players on an English national team manager

they both think they are the twin suns that the UK footie world revolves around and all other teams are just pretenders to their thrones

look at that shite power play they tried with Project Big Picture

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Was an absolute wall yestereday. Leeds simply gave up attacking his side at some point. Azpi-level of 1-on-1 defending plus provided an assist.

He's not even 21 yet and people expect him to be the perfect defender, and he's already dropping defensive performances like yesterday's. 

Going all the way to the top and possibly our future captain. 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Was an absolute wall yestereday. Leeds simply gave up attacking his side at some point. Azpi-level of 1-on-1 defending plus provided an assist.

Raphinha swapped sides at one stage to try and trouble James then thought better of it and went back to his other side :lol:

Echo everyone else’s thoughts about his improvement. Some different reflections on RJ, so the post will be a bit random but...

- discussed before how maybe one of the major things lacking from him last season was that bit of assertiveness, aggression and positivity in his play. At the very start of this season I was starting to concede that, if this guy is truly so nonchalant in his play then midfield might be best for him. Well, he definitely has developed/is showing that side to his game this season. In his play on the ball, in his interactions off the ball, hell even the way he’s using social media. 

In several interviews, from the former youth players and RJ himself, he’s consistently described as loud on the pitch, if quiet off it. Didn’t see that last season but definitely see it this season.

- I wonder if Lampard deserves a bit of credit as I suspect he planned from before the season started that RJ would be undisputed first choice. For most fans I think we were expecting another season of rotation at RB between Azpi and James. But from the very start it was clear RJ was first choice. Perhaps this has helped him develop that extra assurance and confidence in his play and persons this season 

- I think about at the start of last season I briefly suggested that maybe this guy would be a good choice for captain, during the time there was a lot of debate about who should be captain. Looking back that definitely would have been too early but this season I’m starting to warm to the idea again..

- I have a slight suspicion that RJ hits crosses in such a way that maybe it is harder than we give credit for for the recipient to score? I’m equally frustrated that so many of his chances seem to get spurred. It has actually been a thing since his Wigan days - RJ creating loads of chances and his teammates not finishing them off.

but maybe..I wonder if RJ’s style of crossing. Which can be mixed but he does like a hard, fast cross straight to the player. Makes it harder than given credit for for the player to finish. I think that style increases likelihood of a successful cross in that it reaches the player but maybe harder for them to score. I dunno, just a random thesis I have 😅 

- also..does anyone have a video/gif of another RJ moment in the Leeds match. There was a throw in on his side of the pitch and he kind of just ushers Jack Harrison off the pitch like a bouncer lol. Harrison had the same reaction as Bamford where it’s like ‘what can I do, the guys a brick house’

On 07/12/2020 at 10:26 AM, ja1 said:

I think about at the start of last season I briefly suggested that maybe this guy would be a good choice for captain, during the time there was a lot of debate about who should be captain. Looking back that definitely would have been too early but this season I’m starting to warm to the idea again

Since Reece's youth team days a lot of fans have been saying that he would one day be captain of this club. Insiders like Jody Morris have apparently been thinking it for longer than that. I was among those fans but I now have doubts. There is no doubt about Reece's on pitch leadership, he demonstrated it beyond dispute while leading the U18s to quadruple glory in 2017/18. Like all players Reece can show that kind of leadership with or without the armband but captaining a Premier League club carries other responsibilities. Responsibilities Reece is not ready for.

For example, Reece is very uncomfortable with media duties. In front of a TV camera he goes into his shell and can barely get a word out. Being club captain is about representing, championing and defending club and squad off the pitch as well as on it. Reece is nowhere ready for the off field stuff yet. He may or he may not ever get there but as long as he's contributing on the pitch that's probably all you, me, or any Chels fan will care about.