General Chelsea Stuff

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

arrrf, this just reminds me of May 21, 2008

3rd worst night of my life :(

Chelsea players cannot holiday or return home to countries on UK quarantine list

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/07/chelsea-players-cannot-holiday-return-home-countries-uk-quarantine/

Chelsea players have been told not to go on holiday to any country that is on the United Kingdom’s quarantine list.

That rules out popular footballer hot spots such as Ibiza, Marbella and Portugal, and means Chelsea’s Spanish players cannot return home during their break.

Tottenham Hotspur star Dele Alli has been in Ibiza with Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish and Leicester City’s James Maddison, but Chelsea have told their players not to travel to the Balearic Island.

With such a tight turnaround between the end of Chelsea’s season and the start of next term, the club cannot afford for players to risk having to go into a two-week isolation on their return.

Chelsea players will immediately start their holidays if, as expected, Frank Lampard’s team are eliminated from the Champions League on Saturday night by Bayern Munich, who are 3-0 up from the first leg.

Lampard has appealed to the Premier League to allow his side to start the season later, but, currently, they will have less than five weeks between their seasons if they are eliminated by Bayern.

With Pedro Rodriguez leaving, Chelsea have three Spanish players in their squad — captain Cesar Azpilicueta, Marcos Alonso and Kepa Arrizabalaga — who cannot return home.

Michy Batshuayi will not be allowed back to Belgium after the country was on Thursday night added to the quarantine list, while Christian Pulisic cannot return to the United States and goalkeeper Willy Caballero cannot go back to his native Argentina because of the self-isolation rules.

Chelsea's French, Italian, German, and Croatian players, including N’Golo Kante, Olivier Giroud, Kurt Zouma, Jorginho, Emerson Palmieri, Antonio Rudiger, Timo Werner and Mateo Kovacic can return home.

But should any of those countries be added to the UK’s quarantine list, then they may be required to return to England immediately, before the restrictions kick in.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport on Thursday, Chelsea will not be making any overseas or long-haul trips to play pre-season friendlies this summer after cancelling their US tour.

Pulisic, Mount and Carlton – the story behind this Chelsea picture

https://theathletic.com/1989304/2020/08/12/pulisic-mount-carlton-chelsea-trials-picture-academy/

Mount-Pulisic-Carlton-Chelsea-youth-squads-e1597172081537.png

It’s been an eventful few days on social media for Tom Carlton since Chelsea posted a picture of him to their 14.7 million Twitter followers on Sunday; a Lucozade bottle wedged under his left arm as he gives a thumbs-up to the camera, his right arm wrapped around an 11-year-old Christian Pulisic. On the other side of the young American, grinning beneath a mop of brown hair, is Mason Mount.

“I never even knew Pulisic was there (at Cobham) at that age until I saw the picture,” Carlton tells The Athletic. “When you’re that age, we’re all the same really — anyone could make it. When you grow up and see who’s made it and who hasn’t, it’s pretty surreal. That picture is crazy.”

Sources have told The Athletic that Mount didn’t remember the picture either. Pulisic spent five days at Cobham in the summer of 2010 at the invitation of a member of Chelsea staff who used to play alongside his father Mark in the United States, training with the club’s under-12 side and playing in a friendly match.

“You can see he’s got a ‘T’ on his kit, which means he was a trialist,” Carlton adds.

The high turnover of trialists at Chelsea’s academy — the sons of David Beckham and George Weah enjoyed similar stints training at Cobham — ensured neither Mount nor Carlton could be expected to remember the young Pulisic. Both had joined the club as six-year-olds, playing in the development centre for two years before earning prized places in the elite under-nines squad.

Carlton, like Mount an attacking midfielder, was spotted by a Chelsea scout playing for Sittingbourne Athletic — the boys’ team managed by his father Paul, a former non-League footballer. Several of the Sittingbourne boys were invited to Cobham and ultimately recruited but it was Carlton, bigger and stronger than many of his peers in addition to his technical gifts, who was the standout talent.

“Mason and I were the first ones to sign, I think, when we were six,” he says. “A lot of scouts were asking about me and I went to a lot of clubs, but I signed for Chelsea. When you look back now you realise how competitive it was, but at the time I didn’t. I was just one of the good ones, and one of the lucky ones who got picked.

“Chelsea is definitely the best academy to be at when you’re that age. The facilities are a joke. You get everything you want — but it’s also the hardest one to make it out of.”

Carlton spent eight years in Chelsea’s academy, regularly playing in the same midfield as Mount and Declan Rice and competing in youth tournaments across England and Europe.

“He was the holder and Mason and I used to play in front of him,” he says of now West Ham United star and England international Rice. “We were all quite close as kids: Mason and Dec and I, and a few others (in the team). We went to training three times a week and that’s all we knew. All our families were close and we went everywhere for tournaments together — Holland, Spain, Russia.”

Rice and Carlton became particularly close friends, and their bond was strengthened by the shared trauma of being released by Chelsea on the same day at the age of 14.

“That was really hard,” he says. “My dad got a phone call and that was that. I’d just come home from school. I knew it was the day when I’d find out whether or not I’d be kept on, but as a 14-year-old no one really understands unless you’re in that position. There’s a lot of pressure. It was hard to take. You don’t really get a reason. It’s weird that they can just release you like that, but that’s football.

“I lost a lot of confidence. I was only 14 and getting released from Chelsea. I always knew I should get another club, because it’s one of the best academies in the world.”

Carlton got plenty of offers but, like Rice, he found West Ham’s sales pitch to be the most compelling. “At the time West Ham brought through a lot of youngsters, and they’re another big club in the Premier League,” he explains. “When you’re that age and you’re lucky enough, they offer you a deal where you live in digs.

“You leave home at 14 and they’ve got digs that hold 20, 24 kids. You live there, train there, go to school there. When I got offered that I left my secondary school in Year Nine and went to West Ham.”

Rice has spoken about how difficult he found moving from his family home in Kingston, south-west London to club accommodation in Ilford on the other side of the capital, and Carlton had similar problems. “I didn’t realise at the time how hard it would be,” he admits. “In the first month, I couldn’t cope with it and wanted to come home. My mum and dad told me to keep at it. Not many 14-year-olds leave their parents and go to live separate lives two hours away. It was really hard, but I got through it.”

The friends spent two more years together in West Ham’s academy before their paths diverged; Rice was offered a professional deal at age 16, Carlton was not. “The second time I got released was harder, and I was thinking that I wasn’t sure if I could do this again,” he says. “That rejection is so hard as a kid. I had about two months off and went on holiday with my mum and dad.

“For my mum and dad, it wasn’t great to see their kid getting released, always upset. A lot of pressure comes with it on a young kid’s shoulders. I had a couple of calls from clubs but not as many as when I got released from Chelsea. I went to a couple of clubs on trial, and then I went to Colchester and signed for them. I moved away again and lived in digs there.”

Carlton left Colchester for non-League Herne Bay in the summer of 2017 and has operated at the semi-professional level ever since. He still gets paid to play football but it’s no longer his whole life. “I got a job as a football coach, but I didn’t really enjoy it,” he says. “To be honest, I just fell out of love with football. I wanted to get another job away from sport, so I fit glass and windows now.”

He is still in regular contact with Rice, and takes great pride in his friend’s remarkable rise to West Ham prominence and England recognition. “I think he’s done the best out of all of them, to be honest,” he says. “He’s worked seriously hard to get where he is and he deserves all the credit he gets. He’s a quality player.”

And what about Chelsea’s vibrant youth movement under head coach Frank Lampard this season led by the irrepressible energy of Mount and Pulisic, the two other boys in that picture? “They deserve it, but it’s hard for me to watch,” Carlton admits. “People don’t understand that, but I’ve been with them and it could have been me.”

But despite the blows he’s taken from the brutally unforgiving professional football system, Carlton isn’t inclined to abandon his dream. His new season with Herne Bay in the Isthmian League Southeast Division starts in a month, and there are always Football League scouts looking for talent that others may have missed.

“I’d have hoped things would pan out better, but I’m 21, so I’m still young,” Carlton says. “It’s started to come back again, that love for football. I just hope I get another chance somewhere, and you never know. I’ll never give up, because I’ve been there and I know what it’s like. I don’t think you realise how good the pro game actually is until you’re not in it any more.”

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Ashley Cole says Luiz Felipe Scolari produced 'best football' at Chelsea

"He came and brought this new lease of life"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11628292/ashley-cole-says-luiz-felipe-scolari-produced-best-football-at-chelsea

Cole snubs Mourinho and picks flop Scolari as best boss he played under at Chelsea

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8354827/cole-mourinho-scolari-best-chelsea-boss-ancelotti/

and from Mar 1, 2009 , 11 and a half years ago

Ashley Cole Misses Luiz Felipe Scolari At Chelsea

https://www.goal.com/en/news/9/english-football/2009/03/01/1132806/ashley-cole-misses-luiz-felipe-scolari-at-chelsea

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

:doh:

Daily Mail mentioned a number of players have tested positive for COVID-19 but didn't name the players while The Sun reported Pulisic, Abraham, Mount and Tomori are in quarantine but no mention whether they have tested positive or not.

That’s why we have a squad that’s deep as Mariana Trench 

let’s hope the players infected are Bats, Emerson. Drinkwater and Bakayoko so we can sell them as poison pills lol

thiago Silva should stay in quarantine as long as possible he is probably in the risk group given his age -.-

How is half our team effected by this but we haven't heard anything about other clubs? They all went away on holidays too.

Pretty irresponsible on the players to not be ultra careful knowing the next season was coming up so soon, though. 

How is half our team effected by this but we haven't heard anything about other clubs? They all went away on holidays too.
Pretty irresponsible on the players to not be ultra careful knowing the next season was coming up so soon, though. 
They all went to Greece, but it seems they are belong now to the danger zone of Corona and that is why all the players have to go to quarantine.

But it is nice that RLC, CHO, Giroud, Werner etc. did not go to holidays or to places which still are no danger Corona hot spots, so we should be fine.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk