• Kante
    • Barkley
    • Pedro
    • Willian
    • Morata
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

I thought Barkley got a lot of hate today, and some were particularly blaming the meltdown in the 15 minute period on him. Hardly fair. Honestly thought Kante and Jorg were the ones that let us down in that 15 minute stretch. 

Thought he played well, and that play where he flicked the ball up and had a shot at Cech was one of my favourite plays of the game. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought Barkley got a lot of hate today, and some were particularly blaming the meltdown in the 15 minute period on him. Hardly fair. Honestly thought Kante and Jorg were the ones that let us down in that 15 minute stretch. 

Thought he played well, and that play where he flicked the ball up and had a shot at Cech was one of my favourite plays of the game. 

Hes looking better every game I think. Today was a big game too, when we faded I'd say it was more to do with Kante-Jorginho perhaps not positionally being right without the ball as well as Ross but again its a learning curve, lets not forget we are 2 games into the season and theres plenty to learn yet. The game could have went so much differently if not for some dodgy finishing and good saves from both keepers/strikers. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Barkley did well but comparing him to Kovacic is almost like comparing Willian to Hazard. 

If you'd have asked me before the season started whether it would take longer for us to look solid defensively or silky going forward I would have said the latter. I thought it would take us months to look like a free-flowing attacking side. But fuck me, we look amazing going forward compared to years past. 

We totally controlled an excellent footballing side in Arsenal in that second half and if not for Cech having a 10/10 performance could've scored 6.

If we can settle ourselves at the back and our midfielders know when and where to be to help out, we can make a real push for that 3rd spot.

6 minutes ago, communicate said:

Hopefully there is a recording for today's game and you can see how different Giroud play as no 9. He is slow and finisiing is crap but just watch how he fight and press. Those two things are important if Morata want to succeed in PL. PL value physicality especially for a no 9, the way Morata play is just too soft for EPL. 

When Hazard and Kovacic enter the starting line-up, Giroud has to play. Especially in home games. Morata is slowly getting better but not there yet. I think Giroud with his target man abilities is more useful to the team right now.

And I think Morata could prove to be effective off the bench. But I'd go for Morata in most away games. You want more mobility and speed in away games (Chelsea not being one of the fastest teams in the league).

1 minute ago, communicate said:

Barkley did well but comparing him to Kovacic is almost like comparing Willian to Hazard. 

Honestly that is putting it nicely. The difference between Barkley and Kovacic is much greater, i hope it will be a long time before i see that donkey on the pitch again. His passing, intelligence, and touch is so poor. One of his poor passes resulted in a goal. He really is a poor fit for one touch passing and this system, decision making is too slow. 

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

When Hazard and Kovacic enter the starting line-up, Giroud has to play. Especially in home games. Morata is slowly getting better but not there yet. I think Giroud with his target man abilities is more useful to the team right now.

And I think Morata could prove to be effective off the bench. But I'd go for Morata in most away games. You want more mobility and speed in away games (Chelsea not being one of the fastest teams in the league).

I agree off the bench Morata can be effective and yes he is improving but he is just too soft.

Aways game If I want more speed I probably will play hazard - Pedro - Willian 

42 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I am more convinced than ever that we were fools to not sell Willian to Barca for £65m or even better do the swap deal with Manure for Martial. Also, I REALLY want AC to start over Luiz. Barkley looked decent but Kovacic is at another level. Alonso is going to be the starter, we just have to accept his defensive shortcomings. Kante needs to be used as a DMF, he is the best in the world at that postion. Making him go forward is a waste and exposes Jorginho. I so hope Hazard starts the next game. Kepa was oki, I expect him to settle in more each game. He is very calm with ball at hus feet, which is so important.

All in all, a learning experience AND we got the 3 points against a top 6 team.

Luiz is an enigma. He's very important when Chelsea are in possession as his passing game gives Chels an edge offensively. But his defending is suspect and he can let you down from time to time.

Christensen is the better defender (though he lacks that physicality Luiz brings) but doesn't offer that edge Luiz does, making Chelsea weaker offensively.

If Christensen manages to get that weight up, he'll force himself into the team.

29 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Jorginho's positioning is fuxking excellent. I love midfielders who know how to move. He's always in the right positions, providing passing options. Body constantly in the correct direction to turn into space. Accurate and strategic passer. Very intelligent in his decision-making. Knows when to keep it simple or when to go for the forward pass. Never afraid to play an early ball in behind or ping a through ball. The sight of this type of midfielder in a Chelsea kit makes me so happy.

Love how you only mentioned his offensive positioning. :P 

28 minutes ago, communicate said:

I agree off the bench Morata can be effective and yes he is improving but he is just too soft.

Aways game If I want more speed I probably will play hazard - Pedro - Willian 

Pedro is never a striker for me. Definitely not in a possession team. He does not possess the awareness to move in the centre. He needs to face the goal at all times. He doesn't know how to play with his back to goal and make the right decisions when receiving the ball in the centre of the pitch. He needs to play on the flanks.

Hazard is a better fit in the centre but Chels become a too nice up top. Not enough willingness and urgency to get the ball in the goal. And it also makes the team a bit too short overall without playing Morata or Giroud. Becoming a lot more vulnerable in dealing with set-pieces.

On 18-8-2018 at 9:08 PM, Jason said:

Love how you only mentioned his offensive positioning. :P 

He plays in front of defence but he's a playmaker. He wasn't bought for his defensive ability.

When the club signed him I already mentioned his defensive weaknesses so I'm not surprised.

EDIT: He'll improve defensively when Chelsea manage to keep the team compact. It's less of a problem in the Serie A or La Liga but he'll always struggle when there's too much space between the lines in English football. He'll be fine in Europe though.

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

He plays in front of defence but he's a playmaker. He wasn't bought for his defensive ability.

When the club signed I already mentioned his defensive weaknesses so I'm not surprised.

Agree but although the responsibility isn't just on him, he has to be more aware in that aspect if Sarri's gonna continue playing him in that deep lying role.