Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

He really is more like Matic, minus the height. 

Can't rely on him to produce anything up front, but can press and tackle.

At this point I consider him as just back up for Jorginho's position, nothing more. He doesn't offer anything in any of the other positions on the pitch.

19 hours ago, Henrique said:

Despite all the talk about Jorginho, I think Kovacic is the most useless player of the current squad.

After

Drinkwater

Alonso

Cahill

Zappacosta

he is next most useless

(Marco van Ginkel doesn't count as only his terrible injury kept him from being sold to PSV  last summer, which should happen this summer, hopefully)

Spurs given transfer boost as Real Madrid star's relationship with Zidane 'almost non-existent'

It looks set to be a busy summer at Real Madrid following Zinedine Zidane's appointment as manager

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/kovacic-spurs-transfer-latest-zidane-15963399

15 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Spurs given transfer boost as Real Madrid star's relationship with Zidane 'almost non-existent'

It looks set to be a busy summer at Real Madrid following Zinedine Zidane's appointment as manager

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/kovacic-spurs-transfer-latest-zidane-15963399

I rate Inter to sign Kovacic

29 minutes ago, Nicco said:

Crazy how much we got angry it was only a loan and now I can't wait until he goes back to Real.

lol just sounds that even the fan don't know much and they blame the board when they make mistakes as well. 

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

lol just sounds that even the fan don't know much and they blame the board when they make mistakes as well. 

In the right system Kovacic could flourish, but the old smoker plays him in an AMF role, where he sucks.

8 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In a 4-2-3-1 formation, him and Kante as a 2 I think would be excellent.

I worry if he goes to Spurs, he would be an ideal replacement for Dembele who he's in a similar mould to (ie world class right up until the final move).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

What does the fucker actually offer?

not enough of any one particular thing

it is ludicrous for Sarri to try and turn him into an AMF

at best, in sorryball, he is a stopgap backup for the turgid Jorginho

he is much more suited to a trad CMF role in a league like Serie A or the Bundesliga

he is too small for the EPL in that role, or as a box-to-box

I just dont think a 4 3 3 the way Sarri insists on will work in the EPL, and certainly not with the players we have, as there are farr too many square pegs in round holes, of a staggering lack of quality 

We are incredibly weak at  both fullbacks,, DH DMF (Jorginho is simply overwhelmed by the EPL), one CB, and also at CF (so fucked unless Tammy blows up) and at RW, (if CHO doesnt get BIG playing time next year, as Willian and Pedro will really start to collapse due to ageing)

4 2 3 1 is an answer, but again, we need huge huge upgrades, and after the Barella/Paredes cock-ups, we did have a chance to grab (we tried on the last couple days) a perfect double pivot MF to partner with Kante there (at least for thsi season and next until the bans are over) in Abdoulaye Doucouré from Watford (over a full seasons minutes he rates out to 6,7 goals and around 10 assists, which is great production for a CMF, plus he is a beast on defence, PSG made an offer, but then pulled it after they signed Paredes). In hindsight, that fail was also a pretty big one (given the bans), as he is more versatile and overall a superior football to Kovacic.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/07/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-unhappy-premier-league-west-ham

Mateo Kovacic, on loan from Real Madrid, is likely to deputise for Jorginho in at least one of the matches, with Sarri keen to make his move permanent at the end of the season. That would be dependent upon Chelsea either successfully appealing against, or delaying, the two-window transfer ban Fifa intend to impose in the summer.

“I’d like very much that Kovacic will stay with us,” Sarri said. “In that position, we have some problems because we have only Jorginho. Kovacic could become a very good central midfielder and I want to try him there.”