Jorginho

Unionjack

Just now, Sir Mikel OBE said:

I think he's an easy target because he, for many people, is a representation of Sarri.

Exactly. Plus everyone still thinks Kante is a 6 and should play there. Kante has shown time and time again why he is better on that right hand side.  His ability to drive forward, recover, press higher up and also be more creative. But again, the football das are out in force and see him as something he isnt. A fixed pivot.

Just now, !Hazard! said:

To be honest that was exactly what I was thinking as well when I was watching that first half. Malmo were pressing hard and Kovacic was quite disappointing. Jorginho+Kepa make a huge difference to our ability to pass the ball from the back

But there have also been games where we struggled to play out from the back even with Jorginho in the team. 

19 hours ago, Jason said:

But there have also been games where we struggled to play out from the back even with Jorginho in the team. 

There are multiple reasons that explain why we have struggled so much in those type of games recently, one reason being of course Jorginho being in poor run of form, but playing from the back is exactly why is put into that position. His one touch passing and awareness allows the team to invite that pressure and then bypass it with ease (in theory).

If we stay with Sarri for the long-term and Jorginho remains as the regista then I hope he will hit the gym and bulk up a bit. He could easily add another 10 kilos to his frame and overall become a a stronger and better defensive player over the years. It's not like bulking would affect his mobility since he already runs and moves like a handicap on the field.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Exactly. Plus everyone still thinks Kante is a 6 and should play there. Kante has shown time and time again why he is better on that right hand side.  His ability to drive forward, recover, press higher up and also be more creative. But again, the football das are out in force and see him as something he isnt. A fixed pivot.

I think there is merit to both sides of the argument, I thought in a game like this when the opposition played more open than Kante qualities can be successful in attacking sense. But games like this is not the norm, teams play much deeper and more opportunistic on the counter. That is also not considering the quality of Malmo who are not on par with the standard teams we play.

I do not think either role is really fitting for kante, i would agree he is best as a B2B. But on a team that is more reactive and play on the counter. But in a team that dominates possession and are valuranblhe to the counter i would rather see Kante as the deepest player in midfield.

I really like what Laurent Blanc did with Verratti, before him he was used like Jorginho. He placed him higher on the pitch, and played Thiago Motta as the deepest midfielder, and allowed Verratti do what he does best. I think similarly Sarri needs to adjust his system, because you are much more exposed on the counter than in Serie A.   

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It was a while ago, even against City pressing out buidlup was not very bad. Defensively it was a nightmare but not our buildup. Today 1st half was really bad in term of build up. Too much panic and too much long ball. We played correctly but we cannot be afraid to pass even in our own half. 

It almost feels like he's being bullied by our own fans and it's pathetic. He moves the ball so much faster than any of our other midfielders but he's just become an easy target because people wrongly believe Kanye should be playing in his position. Kantes's position has become a weird obsession by the media. Anybody else remember at the world cup when people were saying he was wasted playing as a pure DM? Now all of a sudden he's played there his entire career. Even when he makes a good defensive contribution playing as a RCM the commentators use it as evidence that he should be playing DM. It makes no sense. In my opinion he's played better this season than he did last season.

2 minutes ago, manpe said:

+ Pep wanted him badly, this says something. Jorginho is struggling no doubt about it, but I think in a well functioning team he'd be a monster.

We know that hes not strong physically -- just as Cescy wasn't. But that just means you give him support at the back.