Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Did you feel it was bad all season? I felt it was okay upto January, okay we weren't hitting the heights of last season but the structure was still there infact i thought we were doing quite well under the circumstances. It was after new year i felt it went to pot and it almost felt like we replaced Conte with Pulis.

I stopped watching last season well before 2018 rolled in (mid-November/early December). Caught bits of matches here and there, didn't have much interest in anything going on with CFC except that Christensen was playing, others were staying healthy etc., and that we got a couple players in January --one being a left back.

Things I could see without watching much: Morata a push-over, Bakayoko sucks ass.

Hope we're better this year, defend well and we can score, but I think we need some better defenders and better goalscorers in the squad.

5 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

At the end:

GK- we become weaker.

Mid- Ok

Wingers- nothing changed.

Striker- nothing changed.

Midfield ok must be the understatement of the decade. We signed the best dlp in the world, got a fit Barkley, RLC and Kovacic on top.

moreover i beliebe a team is more than the sum of its parts. If Sarri gets the team gelling we could be great if not he will be gone before christmas.

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Midfield ok must be the understatement of the decade. We signed the best dlp in the world, got a fit Barkley, RLC and Kovacic on top.

moreover i beliebe a team is more than the sum of its parts. If Sarri gets the team gelling we could be great if not he will be gone before christmas.

I'm worried about our attack.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

Kepa hasn’t even touched a ball he is already weaker? Jeez, I bet you still think Hudson-Odoi is weaker than Pedro then.

atm, you can't think he's in the same level that tibo, that's all.
about HO, he's good and talented, even can play before pedro.

9 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah, the past season midfield was our weakest position. We only had 1 player worthy of starting for us (Kante), now we have 3 with decent backups. Midfield is much stronger now and as a result the team is stronger because we haven't weakened in other outfield positions. Tottenham at the same time have stood still so we can definitely overtake them. Arsenal is a wildcard, will need to see how they play. Think we can now seriously challenge for top 4, maybe even the 3rd place.

Why not? This is not FIFA, judge a player based on ratings. Let the guy plays first then draw your conclusion.

Its our top 3 (and LB) that we need to look at.

I would put our CM up against anyone in the PL right now which we have been needing for a long time. All strong,fast,skillfull and will be an amazing help for our front lads.

I would have no problem at all going purely by pre season to start CHO and leave him where he is.

I would put Eden on RW. Its not the 1st time we have done it and it worked fine.

And IF Bats is off on loan I would be very tempted to stick Pedro in as CF. Hes a direct,nippy little bugga and might be what we need

We haven't been able to get the ball forward before but now we have ways. Those 3 lads they are all fast and they will think every day is Xmas.

I really dont hope Sarri doesn't get into a Eden  Morata  Willian rut and not work his way out of it.

1 hour ago, xPetrCechx said:

I find that statement ironic. You have watched Hudson-Odoi and Pedro and so, you conclude the former is better than the latter, which is fine. But have you watched Kepa before? If not, then how can you conclude we are weaker in the keeper area with him replacing Courtois? Is it just because you, like the majority, have never heard of him before this past week?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know the league will be our main focus but let's not forget we can get into the Champions League via the Europa League as well. It's not a given we will win it but don't think we can afford to just toss it aside either. 

Agreed. This is where the likes of RLC, Barkley, Cesc, CHO, Ampadu, etc will come in handy. We will have significantly better depth to rotate against lesser opponents. That way we can still afford to field strong teams in the Europa League.

18 hours ago, DYC. said:

Big ass squad. Not just the 'red players' will have to leave. 25 senior players alone (+ Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi) is too much. So I wonder who's leaving.

Looking at the quality of the top6 squads, I rate City's, Utd's and Pool's team higher than Chelsea's. Chels also going through a big change in terms of style.

So City to retain the title, Liverpool and Utd chasing City and Chels, Spurs and Arsenal for 4th for me. If the transition under Sarri goes well, Chels should finish above Arsenal. Spurs failed to strengthen so that could possibly hurt them. Though compared to last season they do have a fit Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Winks and even Dembele to certain extent.

Hopefully finishing 5th last season and a fresh start under Sarri will fire this lot up to secure that top 4 finish at the very least. Maybe add the Europa League and a cup to gloss up 18/19 and set a winning mood.

Sarri on potential loans to leave: 'Now I think the squad is too large. Some players have to go on loan. I don't know who at the moment. I prefer to have 23, 24 players and three or four very young players. No more.'

Not sure if he means 23-24 players and three or four very young players, besides those 23-24 or included. 

I'd say Zouma, Abraham, Brown, Kalas, Piazon, Omeruo, Bakayoko, Aina and Hector are going to go out on loan. 

Ampadu, RLC, Hudson-Odoi and Musonda are the three "very young players" that'll stay. 

5 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Sarri on potential loans to leave: 'Now I think the squad is too large. Some players have to go on loan. I don't know who at the moment. I prefer to have 23, 24 players and three or four very young players. No more.'

Not sure if he means 23-24 players and three or four very young players, besides those 23-24 or included. 

I'd say Zouma, Abraham, Brown, Kalas, Piazon, Omeruo, Bakayoko, Aina and Hector are going to go out on loan. 

Ampadu, RLC, Hudson-Odoi and Musonda are the three "very young players" that'll stay. 

I think you're spot on, except Musonda. Feels like he is going out on loan, he didn't feature in pre season at all. If Michy goes out on loan(looking likely) Tammy will stay and be the Europa League/Cup match starter. Giroud will operate as super sub to both Morata(prem starter) & Tammy. 

It's refreshing to hear a manager who appears to be happy with the squad and is just focused on coaching them and making them better.

It has to help the crop of players we currently have and give them confidence compared to Conte last season moaning constantly that the squad wasn't good enough.

16 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Summary of Sarri press conference..

The squad is too big when you consider a couple of the young players like CHO and Ampadu should now be viewed very much as solid squad players now.

Rudiger aside, we're suffering from the ridiculous and pathetic transfer window last summer, and will likely take another season or so to fully recover from that debacle.

I think he's happy!

“Hazard is with us,” he said, as per Sky Sports. “He’s not a problem. I have spoken with him three, four times for everything. He never said something about the market.

“I think he is very happy to stay here. I have seen a player very happy to stay here, so I think the new contract will be no problem.

“I am very happy for both. Courtois’ situation was clear. He wanted to go to Madrid so we lost one of the most important goalkeepers in the world. But we brought in one of the most important young goalkeepers in the world.

“I am really happy with Kovacic because I think he has the characteristics for us. I am really very happy and I think now the squad is complete.”