Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Followers 7

25 minutes ago, communicate said:

I wont be surprised if we play fab,

Hes got the head and the moves. Needs more time and space to make his moves now tho.

I did think Barkley coming was a good idea as hes got everything that position needs. Maybe he just needs some time and faith Sarri is giving Morata  to get into the swing again cause at least hes looking very fit right now touch wood.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today has clearly showed the bar which Chelsea must work towards reaching. At this moment we are pretty far away but the overreaction today on this forum is incredible. Sarri has been at the club

The decline in performances is a lot down to one thing, The lack of training pitch time. He is coming in, trying to teach the squad a totally different brand of football to what the players are a

I'm telling you now, to all the SarriOut supporters.... you don't know how lucky we are to have a humble manager like Sarri... a man with principle, passion, an expansive free flowing footballing phil

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Hes got the head and the moves. Needs more time and space to make his moves now tho.

I did think Barkley coming was a good idea as hes got everything that position needs. Maybe he just needs some time and faith Sarri is giving Morata  to get into the swing again cause at least hes looking very fit right now touch wood.

I like fab so far really impressing me. Against arsenal are midfield fell apart after he was taken off.

14 hours ago, Henrique said:

Thats unfair, since both managers didn't have squads that were good enough to win their leagues, and its safe to say they were overachieving. Spurs squad is not even worth finishing 5th, let alone finishing inside top 3 for 3 seasons in a row. Its a lot easier to be Guardiola when your team have unlimited sources.

What a load of BS, seriously. You don't rate players like Kane, Lloris (made mistakes, but so did Courtois), Vertonghen and Erikson clearly while virtually everybody else do.

Kane would definitely walk in to our team right now. I know we are suppose to hate Spuds, but you are hating just because.

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

N’Golo Kante’s Chelsea return and preseason could see a shift to 4-2-3-1

https://theprideoflondon.com/2018/08/04/ngolo-kantes-chelsea-return-preseason-see-shift-4-2-3-1/

That shape does make more sense with the current squad. Morata, Batshuayi and Giroud all haven't proven capable of being the lone striker. But hey've all performed better with a player right behind them (or alongside them). Having some to release the ball to quickly, providing them support (making them harder to mark and switch positions with)

Chels don't quite possess the midfielders for a well-balanced and quality three-man midfield. Cesc is too slow, Barkley and Loftus-Cheek not good enough to start. The less said about the rest of the midfield options the better.

And by moving Hazard to the centre and playing Willian on the left flank, Alonso would receive more support and wouldn't be as exposed if he were to play with Hazard in front of him.

Courtois/Caballero/Green

Azpilicueta/Moses - Christensen/Luiz - Rudiger/Cahill - Alonso/Emerson

Kante/Drinkwater - Jorginho/Fabregas

Pedro/Loftus-Cheek - Hazard/Barkley - Willian/Hudson-Odoi

Morata/Giroud/Batshuayi

47 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Those 'Things to improve' are all big problems.

Yup.  Personally, I think the pressing is no where near the finished product either.  I would classify our pressing as "showing signs". 

This is the Napoli - Juve match from late last season.  That's what the finished article looks like.

https://footballia.net/matches/juventus-fc-ssc-napoli-serie-a-2017-2018

No gaping holes like we had against Arsenal.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Yup.  Personally, I think the pressing is no where near the finished product either.  I would classify our pressing as "showing signs". 

This is the Napoli - Juve match from late last season.  That's what the finished article looks like.

https://footballia.net/matches/juventus-fc-ssc-napoli-serie-a-2017-2018

No gaping holes like we had against Arsenal.

So very early without 2 lads and needing others.

They need to keep their passing flat and fast cause theres been some picked off.

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

That shape does make more sense with the current squad. Morata, Batshuayi and Giroud all haven't proven capable of being the lone striker. But hey've all performed better with a player right behind them (or alongside them). Having some to release the ball to quickly, providing them support (making them harder to mark and switch positions with)

Chels don't quite possess the midfielders for a well-balanced and quality three-man midfield. Cesc is too slow, Barkley and Loftus-Cheek not good enough to start. The less said about the rest of the midfield options the better.

And by moving Hazard to the centre and playing Willian on the left flank, Alonso would receive more support and wouldn't be as exposed if he were to play with Hazard in front of him.

Courtois/Caballero/Green

Morata/Giroud/Batshuayi

I think this is what Sarri was saying about needing a midfielder.

We could do a 4 2 1 3 with Eden as a floater behind the top 3? Which would basically be a 4 3 3 with Eden as Hamsik

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

Courtois/Caballero/Green

Morata/Giroud/Batshuayi

DYC, how is this different from what i posted in the Hazard thread ? :P 

• Like 1

If we were to close the window now i'd like to see this:- 

Courtois

Azpilicueta- Luiz - Rudiger - Alonso

Jorginho

Kante - Willian

Pedro -  Morata - Hazard

Morata/Alonso for me are the question marks, otherwise I'm happy with this team starting any game next season. Morata flops then maybe try Hazard there and give CHO the LW spot.

58 minutes ago, dreamcfc said:

If we were to close the window now i'd like to see this:- 

Courtois

Azpilicueta- Luiz - Rudiger - Alonso

Jorginho

Kante - Willian

Pedro -  Morata - Hazard

Morata/Alonso for me are the question marks, otherwise I'm happy with this team starting any game next season. Morata flops then maybe try Hazard there and give CHO the LW spot.

Sorry mate but just cant see that working. Kante too high up the pitch with Willian as a Central Midfielder?? Plus no Hudson-Odoi !!  Alonso as LB is a;so suspect but I understand that we dont have anyone apart from Emerson who is largely untried. Wouldn't mind seeing my team below, with Hazard and Hudson swapping over frequently. Jorginho being the play maker and Kante mopping up. Fabregas picking out his passes from a high position to the front three. Left and right backs can join in the attack as they possess the pace to get back if it goes pear shaped. Plus,Iknow we probably cant afford to do this but I'd play Bulka instead of Courtois .......Because he's a cunt :D

Courtois

Aspi             Luiz          Rediger        Emerson      

Kante          Jorgihno       

Fabregas      

Hudson-Odoi       Morata          Hazard

6 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

DYC, how is this different from what i posted in the Hazard thread ? :P 

I could never see Hazard in a Iniesta or Modric type role, which is what I imagined when you said Eden in midfield/at LCM. But if this is what you meant, fair enough then.

I do have question marks about how Chels would fair defensively in such a system.though.

21 minutes ago, Starman60 said:

Sorry mate but just cant see that working. Kante too high up the pitch with Willian as a Central Midfielder?? Plus no Hudson-Odoi !!  Alonso as LB is a;so suspect but I understand that we dont have anyone apart from Emerson who is largely untried. Wouldn't mind seeing my team below, with Hazard and Hudson swapping over frequently. Jorginho being the play maker and Kante mopping up. Fabregas picking out his passes from a high position to the front three. Left and right backs can join in the attack as they possess the pace to get back if it goes pear shaped. Plus,Iknow we probably cant afford to do this but I'd play Bulka instead of Courtois .......Because he's a cunt :D

Courtois

Aspi             Luiz          Rediger        Emerson      

Kante          Jorgihno       

Fabregas      

Hudson-Odoi       Morata          Hazard

Agree on Courtois but I said this would be what I would like to see if we closed the transfer window now.

Interesting opinion on the XI but do you not think if we were to play those 3 midfielders they would be too lightweight? I know Kante is there but still, we need someone who can carry the ball in there for me, Cesc doesn't have the legs, we can't rely on Kante to be mopping up and carrying the ball forward all the time and we've seen Jorginho isn't that player either... that is the idea of Barkley but I think he needs more time. I really think Willian could do a job there, he did it under Mourinho and probably played his best for us. I don't see what Barkley offers that Willian wouldnt.

I don't see the need to play Cesc/Jorginho together, Jorginho is doing Cescs job from further back, maybe against teams where we dominate we could do this but in general I think we need more balance, we need another profile of player to complete the jigsaw, I really think Willian could be it.

This would also give more time to Hudson Odoi on the wings, obviously you rate him quite highly as you say he should be starting but do you really think he's done enough to take Pedro and Willian off RW? I'd prefer to start Pedro and bring CHO off the bench.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/04/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-jorginho-manchester-city-pep-guardiola

Yet whether Chelsea have the players to go toe-to-toe with City is debatable. Sarri is under no illusions about the size of the task. He is still haunted by the memory of City tearing into his Napoli side in the Champions League last October. “The first 20 minutes were a nightmare,” he said. “It was horrible.”

City won 2-1 before triumphing 4-2 in Naples two weeks later. Yet Sarri will still tell his new team to play with Napoli’s fearlessness. “I’d like my players to have the personality and be able to think that we are at the same level,” he said. “Maybe at the moment it’s not true, but they have to start to think that they can play against everybody in every stadium, against every team.”

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dreamcfc said:

Agree on Courtois but I said this would be what I would like to see if we closed the transfer window now.

Interesting opinion on the XI but do you not think if we were to play those 3 midfielders they would be too lightweight? I know Kante is there but still, we need someone who can carry the ball in there for me, Cesc doesn't have the legs, we can't rely on Kante to be mopping up and carrying the ball forward all the time and we've seen Jorginho isn't that player either... that is the idea of Barkley but I think he needs more time. I really think Willian could do a job there, he did it under Mourinho and probably played his best for us. I don't see what Barkley offers that Willian wouldnt.

I don't see the need to play Cesc/Jorginho together, Jorginho is doing Cescs job from further back, maybe against teams where we dominate we could do this but in general I think we need more balance, we need another profile of player to complete the jigsaw, I really think Willian could be it.

This would also give more time to Hudson Odoi on the wings, obviously you rate him quite highly as you say he should be starting but do you really think he's done enough to take Pedro and Willian off RW? I'd prefer to start Pedro and bring CHO off the bench.

I like Willian, but just dont think the CM spot would suit him. The way Sarri wants us to play is by short passing in tight spaces before unleashing our attack. I think Jorginho can be the ball carrier and Maestro in the middle, whereas Fabregas can pick out any of our front three usually with ease.  .Kante would be the constant in the midfield in a slightly deeper role. If hudson-Odoi doesn't play I would rather see Willian than Pedro get the spot. Barkley could have a part to play but I feel he's not good enough to hold down a permanent spot. And Baka, well you can forget him. I take your point that Jorginho can play the Cesc role, but he is more than that. He breaks up the opposition moves and if he does that from deep, knocks balls to Cesc who then splits defences with his passes. Quick incisive play that Sarri likes and could work for us.

5 hours ago, Starman60 said:

knocks balls to Cesc who then splits defences with his passes. Quick incisive play

The problem is tho thats not Cescy now. He needs more time and space to be able to do his magic and in this system he wont get it

Barkleys not match sharp yet and wont be unless he gets game time.

We will have an idea of whats in Sarris mind with the Shitty lineup. Well for the Hamsik role anyway. Whoever starts will be who he reckons our best chance.

BUT I still think thats the position he thinks we need a bit of something extra.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

The problem is tho thats not Cescy now. He needs more time and space to be able to do his magic and in this system he wont get it

Probably right, but he still has a fantastic football brain. When he came off against Arsenal the other night the team seemed to lose its rhythm. I know other players came off but Jorginho had no-one on his wavelength after that. Barkley ran and ran, but ran into channels where other players were, some poor passing choices and weight of passes. Hopefully with some work he will settle into the system and perhaps today he will get his chance. At this time I just think that for now Cesc has adapted to Sarri's system quicker than the others and is very comfortable with it.