Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

1 minute ago, Mana said:

That's because I was busy looking for a working stream? Missed the penalty live, but saw the replay of it. Couldn't watch the 2nd half because I had to go somewhere, but from what I heard, didn't miss much.

And what is this have to do with this thread?

Because you seem to coincidentally be more active the worst our moments are, would you be on here now declaring doomsday if Arsenal didn't level?

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri 'not happy' over Willian situation
Sarri hopes to keep 'top players' at Chelsea for new season

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11457015/chelsea-boss-maurizio-sarri-not-happy-over-willian-situation

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has admitted he is not happy after Willian failed to return to training on time after the World Cup.

Sky Sports News understands Chelsea have rejected several bids from Barcelona for the player this summer and the Brazilian did not report to Cobham on time last week with several newspapers reporting that he was experiencing passport problems.

The club gave him prior permission to return late, but new manager Sarri, speaking after a penalty-shoot-out defeat to Arsenal in the International Champions Cup, was clearly frustrated by the issue.

"I want to speak to him before I answer these questions," he said when asked if Willian had returned to training on Wednesday.

"I don't know. I am not happy about the situation but I would like to talk to him.

"Is it strange? I think so."

snip

2 hours ago, Mana said:

That's not true. The reason why it seems that way because Chelsea has had more worse moments than good ones over the past 3 years, including our 2017 winning season.

But IF it ended 1-0 today, that doesn't change anything. We are still bad going forward.

The only times i recall you were prominent on here during our title winning season was the Spurs game at WHL where you took over the match thread telling us our invincibility's gone and were getting caught by our amazing rivals and the Costa thread after he went a few games without a goal and you were going on about how shit he was.

There may be some things we need to worry about but there's also plenty to look forward too and i don't really get why your so desperate to make out were so shit while all our rivals (including a side we have comfortably finished above every season with the core of these lads bar once) are like Pep's Barca reborn, but each to their own i guess. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

The only times i recall you were prominent on here during our title winning season was the Spurs game at WHL where you took over the match thread telling us our invincibility's gone and were getting caught by our amazing rivals and the Costa thread after he went a few games without a goal and you were going on about how shit he was.

There may be some things we need to worry about but there's also plenty to look forward too and i don't really get why your so desperate to make out were so shit while all our rivals (including a side we have comfortably finished above every season with the core of these lads bar once) are like Pep's Barca reborn, but each to their own i guess. 

100% agree. When things dont go well fans turn on players too easily. Guys like Ivanovic, Mikel, Morata, Cahill, Willian etc in the last 6 or 7 years alone have been spacegoated for team failures. Then it becomes a whole squad/majority of it for whatever reason etc.

Courtois, Azpilicueta, Kante, Jorginho (already going to be key for us) and Hazard is as strong a spine as a lot of teams have in the PL. City’s perhaps have got the only better one? Ederson, Walker, Mendy, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero? Even then it’s questionable to say Walker is better than Azpi or that Kante, Jorginho or Hazard wouldn’t walk into their team. 

Throw in Fabregas, Willian, Luiz, Rudiger, Alonso, few other players who aren’t amazing perhaps or what you’d consider spine level players but are up to a pretty decent standard and for me, as long as Sarri can convey his methods across, we will get top 4, even if these guys who aren’t as well regarded in terms of ability, are regulars or not, in terms of quality they bring us a reasonable standard in the squad. I mean look at Cesc for example first year under Conte, 12 assists from the bench? That is incredible. If he doesn’t start every week and can come on and get even half of that in a similar role? That’s 6 goals that could potentially win games or salvage draws. 

The likes of Moses, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Cahill can all be considered disposable yes but the perfect squad is not made up of 25 world class players, it is impossible to accumulate such a thing, even Peps Barca side (considered one of the greatest in history) had pretty average players over that peroid like Adriano, Keita, Abidal, Gabriel Milito etc too who were used when needed to be as well as youngsters who were never truely good, Tello, Cuenca, Bojan....

Far too much negativity here, yes we’ve had a few poor seasons but this core of players are winners and have won a lot in their careers. We’ve gone through his cycle of blame: firstly it was the players before it was put down to Mourinhos tactics, then the players again before ending up being Contes tactics. Now players getting it again although the season hasn’t started yet. It’s an odd cycle. I am under no illusions we can improve tenfold, there is no perfect football team but this we don’t have a top 4 level squad bullshit? Some people are extremely naive, this squad at least 50% of it has been part of 2 league title wins and a few cups in the last 3 or 4 years. Spurs don’t have a better squad than us. Neither do Liverpool. First 11s in some parts maybe but they’ve had how long of continuity with a coach? 3/4 years? Sarri built something incredible at Napoli in my eyes in terms of an identity and if we can have that in place for a few years and win or stay very competitive at least we will reap rewards in the long run. But will people wait or whatever? People will turn on him as soon as shit goes wrong like previously done with coaches and players, so we can’t win. 

Comment: Substance over style the driver as Sarri’s Chelsea project is given its showcase in Dublin clash

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea/comment-substance-over-style-the-driver-as-sarris-chelsea-project-is-given-its-showcase-in-dublin-clash-37177328.html

Irish fans were last night afforded an early glimpse into the approach new Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri will adopt in the coming season. It seems the question is whether the Premier League will be ready for him, rather than the other way around.

Best known for the expansive style he demanded and implemented during his three years in charge of hometown club Napoli, he also emphasised the importance of set-pieces.

Just five minutes into last night's friendly at the Aviva Stadium against Arsenal - coming 10 days before his first competitive game in English football - the 59-year-old's reliance on dead-ball deliveries was on show for all to admire.

snip

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

The likes of Moses, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Cahill can all be considered disposable yes but the perfect squad is not made up of 25 world class players, it is impossible to accumulate such a thing

I'm sure we all believe a team is more than a bunch of world class individuals but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't upgrade our weak points whenever possible.

When something just doesnt work right you fix it surely. Right now we have a couple of things that are broke.

There was a time not too long ago when we had players who were nations captains with us. Now we have 1.

We have several good points right now but we have some glaringly strong weak spots and our board needs to fix them because I dont think Sarri can.

The difference between Mous and Sarris man management.

We know well how Mous got foot in gob syndrome but when we can all see how Morata is a big weak link Sarri says

“I don’t know if he is not confident,” Sarri said post-match. “Maybe he was tired.

“The last three days for him were very intense, so maybe this match he was a bit tired. I am not worried about Morata.”

Rightly or wrongly thats called having your players back.

Sarri's season hinges on Morata's finishing. In games where we are supposed to be leading 3-0, we end up scoring only 1-0 and risk being equalized at the last minute. This is a cross Sarri and Chelsea will have to carry this season. Unless Batshuayi surprises us or Sarri springs a (CHO - HAZARD - PEDRO/WILLIAN) false 9 formation on us.

2 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Sarri's season hinges on Morata's finishing. In games where we are supposed to be leading 3-0, we end up scoring only 1-0 and risk being equalized at the last minute. This is a cross Sarri and Chelsea will have to carry this season. Unless Batshuayi surprises us or Sarri springs a (CHO - HAZARD - PEDRO/WILLIAN) false 9 formation on us.

There is no way, with the way he is playing and finishing now we can risk starting with him. These last few games should of told Sarri exactly what he needs to know about Morata....He's woeful.

25 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

It would be a fast,clever top 3 with

CHO  Martial  Eden or Eden  Martial  CHO

Let the 2 AMs  roam like Eden/Willian did. IMHO Eden is at his best then. Makes them very hard to mark let alone 2 or 3 man on.

Cant see a problem with it apart from not having Martial of course  d40fdfc3fab857dc9175d118f742b641.gif

2 hours ago, Mana said:

You are talking as if these players were magnificent for Chelsea. Well, except Ivanovic - he was very solid when we bought him. In his last few years, we have every right to criticise him for continuously making horrid mistakes. 

These aren't goalscorers. Who's going to score the goals?

Apart from Rudiger and to the small extent of Alonso, nope this players aren't decently standard. At least not anymore. It boggles the mind you mentioned Willian, while had a great 3 game run, did almost nothing of note last season. Even Alonso contributed more.

Fabregas then got 12 assists because WE HAD A GOALSCORER. How many times do I have to go through this with you? And Fabregas is 31, from the looks of pre-season so far and last season, he has lost that magic touch.

People, stop referring to the 2016/17 season! Things now are different compared to then, and you keep forgetting about the basic factors that happened like NO European football (players are more refreshed because of this) and big hitter teams underperformed massively.

I'm not asking to have WC players all over the pitch. I'm asking for decent ones who work hard, and play for the shirt. That's why I admire the 2011/12 squad so much. Poor squad, but played for the badge and got their rewards as bonus. When I see ponies like Willian and Morata who don't give a s***, it pisses me off.

This is a new cycle I've never seen before. In my eyes personally at least for last season, the reason why we failed is between the board, the players and the manager. Everyone is to blame. If Sarri next season, does his best but still failed, then it's not his fault isn't it?

When we won the title in 2016/17, neutrals around the world said that Spuds were a better team and played better football than us and they should have won the league, not us. While I'm biased and disagree that Spuds were a better team, they did play better football than us.

You are the one is being naive here. Ask every non-Chelsea fan or pundit. They will not agree with you that Chelsea is better than Spuds or Liverpool. You can even throw at the moment Arsenal as well. They have good attacking players that can press and harm us, while we don't.

All that can change with a new CF, but until then - stop living in a dream world that next season we'll be 2nd.

All of those players listed who were scapegoats have all contributed to the history of the club in recent years (sure Morata hasn't). If that’s not worthy of any respect then I don’t know.

Fabregas and Willian aren’t of decent standard (don’t be daft)... so Barcelona, Real and United all interested and having been reportly bidding for Willian is a mystery to me then. I remember when we signed Fabregas he was exactly what we needed. We’d be crying out for a player like him for years. Sure he’s older now and has his flaws like every footballer but mentioning pre-season again it means nothing it is not result orientated it is fitness and preparation that comes first and Sarri will need time before we become the real deal.

Also me naive? Open your fucking eyes. Read your posts. For a supposed Chelsea fan you sure paint the image you would rather see the team lose and pop up everytime there is something bad that happens.

Also this playing better football doesn’t necessarily mean fuck all as well if you have nothing to show for it. Actually in all fairness you sound like Jermaine Jenas when he said Spurs should have won that semi final last season because they played better football.... Sure we could have played better football over the last 10-15 years but look at what the club has to show for it in terms of trophies because we’ve known how to win games, cup matches etc. If Sarri comes in and has nice football but wins nothing? How long do you think he will last? Do you think Pochettino would be given 4 years here if his best achievement was finishing second to Leicester? Wisen up. Arsenal Liverpool Spurs what have they actually achieved in the last few years with their good football? 

Again. Nobody has said we will be second either, there is more than enough in this squad to achieve top 4. We finished 5th last season not 11th. Comparing teams against each other in pre-season is stupid too, it means fuck all.

Yes I agree goals is a bit of a problem but if this team shapes up anything like Napoli, (most goals, chances created and shots on target in the last 3 seasons in Serie A with players like Mertens, Callejon etc who aren’t better than any of our starters), we will create chances and we will score goals one way or another... 

you'd think we had a squad of 25 Bakayokos. 

Also continually belittling the league win under Conte? What are you all about? Yes no CL football but he rarely rotated and had Alonso and Moses as key players... wisen up youd think you were on the wind up. 

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

It would be a fast,clever top 3 with

CHO  Martial  Eden or Eden  Martial  CHO

Let the 2 AMs  roam like Eden/Willian did. IMHO Eden is at his best then. Makes them very hard to mark let alone 2 or 3 man on.

Cant see a problem with it apart from not having Martial of course  d40fdfc3fab857dc9175d118f742b641.gif

I have slim hopes for Martial this summer, but maybe we can put pedro as false 9. He's played that position before for Spain (Hazard - Pedro - CHO)

He is more willing to shoot than any other player in our team and is actually our best finisher with lol.

22 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

I have slim hopes for Martial this summer, but maybe we can put pedro as false 9. He's played that position before for Spain (Hazard - Pedro - CHO)

He is more willing to shoot than any other player in our team and is actually our best finisher with lol.

We really need more ambition than have Pedro as a striker. Like I said he wouldn't be on full engine for a whole game.

We haven't tried Bats yet? Fingers crossed sarri can work on him -------- or Giroud.onference

Live conference

Sarri on David Luiz and Ruben Loftus-Cheek: 'I am very happy with David for his attitude. I think he will be very important for the team. Loftus-Cheek I have only seen three or four [times in training], so I will have to wait

Sarri on his squad for Sunday: 'I don't know. I want to see the last training. The starting 11 may be near the last match, but maybe something different can happen.