Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Comparing a man who broke the Serie A record with little to no budget and having only Zielinski and the ghost of Christian Maggio as bench options, to David Moyes is well and truly a laughable comparison. 

"little to no budget"? Are you serious man? Napoli have been splashing cash, in relative to Italian football, for a while now. Were players like Milik, Zielinski, Allan, Higuain, Mertens, Albiol all bought with "little to no budget"? I even remember the transfer window when Napoli bought 3 in-form Real Madrid players in a single window. Granted, some of those players I listed weren't Sarri signings, but he still had foundation of good players, bought with a lot of money. 

You are talking about "little to no budget"? That's what Everton was 2004-2013. 

What is the most ironic thing about all, is that this year's Napoli side has performed great in the Champions League and were extremely unlucky not to go through, and have outperformed all Sarri's Napoli sides in Europe. That's the reality of Sarri's management ability but he has too many Chelsea fans brainwashed into thinking he is some second coming of Guardiola. 

7 minutes ago, Mana said:

AVB was only in Spuds for a year before he got sacked there too.

What I mean is he got that second chance because of the stigma attached here that's it's not the managers fault when things go wrong.

Compared to managers who have fucked up at other top six clubs and it basically ruined any chance of a career at CL/just short of CL level. For examples Moyes, Sherwood and Brendan, even a historical great like Van Gaal won't be touched by a big club now after United, had that been us all apart from probably Sherwood would have probably got another chance at this level.

That what I mean by risk free job, even if they fuck up beyond all recognition potential future employers wouldn't hold it against them.

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

You really need to look before you post

Mário Rui  £4.95m

Zielinski   £12.60m

Allan   £10.35m

Mertens   £8.53m

Albiol   £10.80m    

Kalidou Koulibaly   £6.98m

Amadou Diawara  £13.05m

José Callejón  £8.55m

Marek Hamsik   £4.95m    

Lorenzo Insigne  no fee, academy

Elseid Hysaj  £4.5m

Faouzi Ghoulam    £4.50m

Milik £28.80m (with the Higs' sale money)

Higuain £35.10m

14 players, all starters

total spent

£153.66m

£10.98m average

and

£63.9m (42 percent)

was spent on Higs and then Milik

subtract them

its £7.48m per player for the other 12

I don't think he realizes how much money EPL teams have compared to the rest of Europe, even a team for EPL standard that is perceived to be financially struggling still dwarf the vest majority of clubs in Europe and most top clubs(ex Dortmund, Napoli, Atletico, etc). Napoli would kill for the revenues just the average EPL team have. 

https://www.forbes.com/teams/napoli/

4 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I don't think he realizes how much money EPL teams have compared to the rest of Europe, even a team for EPL standard that is perceived to be financially struggling still dwarf the vest majority of clubs in Europe and most top clubs(ex Dortmund, Napoli, Atletico, etc). Napoli would kill for the revenues just the average EPL team have. 

https://www.forbes.com/teams/napoli/

cb829f6a5ae390735e1b3fa4b9840fe0.png

3f30bc09d26ecb311eccf3f53843b00c.png

https://www.forbes.com/teams/west-ham-united/

d3901111c3f58ce233e23112ba0e69db.png

09095612e288410aa485b80c55eae1c3.pngc51d617a610696bd1c0d39f85829c6b1.png

51 minutes ago, Vesper said:

You really need to look before you post

Mário Rui  £4.95m

Zielinski   £12.60m

Allan   £10.35m

Mertens   £8.53m

Albiol   £10.80m    

Kalidou Koulibaly   £6.98m

Amadou Diawara  £13.05m

José Callejón  £8.55m

Marek Hamsik   £4.95m    

Lorenzo Insigne  no fee, academy

Elseid Hysaj  £4.5m

Faouzi Ghoulam    £4.50m

Milik £28.80m (with the Higs' sale money)

Higuain £35.10m

14 players, all starters

total spent

£153.66m

£10.98m average

and

£63.9m (42 percent)

was spent on Higs and then Milik

subtract them

its £7.48m per player for the other 12

"Napoli have been splashing cash, in relative to italian football"

9 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I expected a bad start but that we would gradually get better as we got used to it.'But we have a group of players that are not playing like a team just individuals.

Appy polly loggies cause I can feel a rant coming on!! Just pass on if you want! Just trying to make sense out of the jumble in my head.

With Sarri this is the last 3 managers that have all had problems with a similar team. There's got to be some inkling of truth to it. One manager you might think - excuses, But to have the lat 3 all saying there's problems mentally that's a problem.

They are well known for their dressing room tantrums. They are either not following what Sarri has had them do in training on purpose or they are not capable of following instructions. We are like some demented yoyo right now up/down/up/down - Play shit/Play good/Play shit. There's got to be some sort of mental problem and not only not able to play well. They are all Billy Big Bollox in the dressing room but when the shit is down and we are in trouble they climb back into their shells.

I've been trying to think of what the problem could be and asking these questions in my head that I'm sure we all have.

Maybe its because of the way we have player predominantly over the last 20 or so years. This system is based on high pressing. Our forwards generally can't!  If we want a high pressing,fast tem that plays good exciting football then we have to buy those players. Pully is a good start IMO.

But each of our last 3 managers have all played completely different styles. Each one bought players to fit their specific style/needs. Right now we are left with a patchwork quilt of a team with players trying to change their styles they have played their whole lives. The board has never shown any consistency in the way we want to go forward. No plan. No identity. Diddly squat!

We have been playing on the back foot more defensively and just forgotten how to go forward as a team. But we would still be able to defend together.

Maybe we just dont have the right players to  play in Sarris way?

The team cant listen to instruction - cant be that Shirley not. Almost same squad played Contes 3/4/3 fine. They played great early season this year, They listened and changed and beat Shitty  2-0 a couple of months ago. We beat Victimpool and almost beat them twice! Exact same players ffs!

Is it Sarri? He complains that his players dont listen but still uses those same ones without trying the others out.

Is Sarri capable of re building a whole team of players to suit his style? He doen't have that expertise and hasn't need to do so before.

We bring in Sarri and ask him to do what Pep has done at Shitty and lesser so Klopp and Poch,  but we should have some football knowledge at board level that should stand up and say he can't be asked to do it if we only give him 1 player, a loanee and a couple of yoofs! Those other 2 managers were given total support from their club. From before he came we knew this was a very rigid style structure and that the team had to fully get into it for it to work. We saw all the scouting vids etc So if they don't fully get behind Sarri they cant blame him for not being able to implement his style. It is a rigid structure.

OK so we/the board, fully get behind Sarri. We change all these players that I think needs doing but still find theres problems and we dont get silverware. Roman says get a new manager. WTF happens then if the board goes out and brings in a defence minded manager again?? We will be sitting with players that we bought for a different purpose again. We need to get direction and some continuity.

I do honestly think that we COULD do a good job under Sarri with the right players. But it will still upset me some as Sarri is now saying exactly what Mou and Conte said that we need a overhaul. We could have done this under Conte and backed him.

My overhaul means a good 6 or 7 players being changed of the squad we have put forward for the PL

Rant Over  b5a7dfaa478dfa6bbc38da4e1030ebed.gif

Two constants I think.

One constant...managers with no good plan B.

Second constant...poor, poor defenders. We've been playing with aged, past-it, defenders since 2012 and lost any quality defender we had by 2017. We haven't been with a quality full-back for even longer than that. Azpilicueta and Ivanovic (until he got old) were good 1-v-1 defenders but lacking in other departments. In any case, the full-back on their opposite side was even worse.

Our back line sucks. Mourinho tried to mask it by going ultra defensive in 2015, and Conte tried to do it with his back 5 and defensive tactics, so that each defender wouldn't be horribly exposed.

Sarri is so far trying to avoid a reactionary approach like the other two, so the back 4 is constantly getting exposed like a Baboon's backside.

4 hours ago, kobematabryant said:

"Napoli have been splashing cash, in relative to italian football"

The figures I showed are NOT splashing cash relative to ANY big 5 league. 

Serie A has multiple giant spending clubs. Napoli was not one of them then.

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

The figures I showed are NOT splashing cash relative to ANY big 5 league. 

Serie A has multiple giant spending clubs. Napoli was not one of them then.

I love Vesper 😍

don't bring a water pistol to an RPG fight 👍

@kobematabryant - she's done you mate 👍👍👍 no more digging required 👍👍👍

Also - the guillotine could be a link to Zidane 🤔

2 hours ago, Muzchap said:

I love Vesper 😍

don't bring a water pistol to an RPG fight 👍

@kobematabryant - she's done you mate 👍👍👍 no more digging required 👍👍👍

Also - the guillotine could be a link to Zidane 🤔

Thing is tho bruv can he rebuild a team? He's never had to do it before.

15 hours ago, Tomo said:

What I mean is he got that second chance because of the stigma attached here that's it's not the managers fault when things go wrong.

Compared to managers who have fucked up at other top six clubs and it basically ruined any chance of a career at CL/just short of CL level. For examples Moyes, Sherwood and Brendan, even a historical great like Van Gaal won't be touched by a big club now after United, had that been us all apart from probably Sherwood would have probably got another chance at this level.

That what I mean by risk free job, even if they fuck up beyond all recognition potential future employers wouldn't hold it against them.

Now this may be true, however. I can't see us continue that route. 

United are self sufficient. They can afford to sack manager after manager. We aren't and we have been heavily dependent on Roman. An owner who now looks completely disinterested and literally distant from the club. The fact he is letting this incompetent board run things for going on 2 seasons now, fills me with worry. 

With the market now inflated as ever, 70 million gets you one top player when 5 years ago it could get you three. No way we can continue to operate the way we have expecting the same results we did a decade ago. 

4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Thing is tho bruv can he rebuild a team? He's never had to do it before.

I don't know many managers that can build a team around them.

Pep can, Klopp can, Poch seems able to (albeit limited funds). 

We had some amazing players Mou fucked off out the door. 

I would have perhaps said Conte could have built a team.

I don't know about Sarri and I don't think Zidane can... 

Benitez probably could- but massively unpopular.

I just don't know who's out there that we replace Sarri with, that's capable of building a team? 

1 minute ago, Muzchap said:

I don't know many managers that can build a team around them.

Pep can, Klopp can, Poch seems able to (albeit limited funds). 

We had some amazing players Mou fucked off out the door. 

I would have perhaps said Conte could have built a team.

I don't know about Sarri and I don't think Zidane can... 

Benitez probably could- but massively unpopular.

I just don't know who's out there that we replace Sarri with, that's capable of building a team? 

Well whoever it is will need eyes in the back of his head to stop the knives from going in when/if it all goes Pete Tong.

I was wondering about Lamps.

I dont think hes ready for a big team yet. And I think our players would eat him alive.

But the 1 good thing hes loved by all at the club so Roman and board would have his back f he was to bollck some and bench them.

Plus the players couldnt get mardy with him or go telling tales on him cause the board would be on big Framks side.

Its a hard one.