EPL Player of the Month - Deco

Milan

Deco has capped a dream start to life in England by winning the Barclays Player of the Month Award at the very first opportunity.

The summer signing from Barcelona has made an impressive start to life in the Barclays Premier League, scoring twice and being credited with a further two assists in just three games, as the Blues soared to the top of the table and retained our unbeaten record going into September.

On receiving the accolade, he said: 'For me it's a pleasure and honour to have got here and managed to have a good start to the season. Of course this is just a start - what's important is to get to the end and still be playing this well. I think that's important, I'm very proud and happy with this result.'

Deco's creative talents were first showcased in the 4-0 win over Portsmouth in the season opener at Stamford Bridge, where his assist for Nicolas Anelka's goal was improved by a 25-yard strike to round off the scoring.

In the closely contested 1-0 victory over Wigan that followed he shone once more, as another long-range strike, this time from a third-minute free-kick, proved the difference. His effectiveness from set pieces continued in the 1-1 home draw with Spurs, where his corner produced the opening goal from a Juliano Belletti flick.

Deco, Luiz Felipe Scolari's debut signing, is the first Chelsea player to scoop the award since Petr Cech back in March 2007, and the only Portuguese player other than Christiano Ronaldo to collect the prize.

The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football's governing bodies, the media and fans.

chelseafc.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lampards Bitch

just think, City could of had 2 Lampards and a Deco for the price of Robinho LOL taking Lampards price of the 11 million we bought him for that is :)

He has been incredible for us so far this season, to hit the ground running in the way he has is no easy feat and he has certainly brought a new dimention to our play. Lets hope it can continue for him in this way.

Absolute dynamite -and I hold my hands up when at the start of the season I thought he was a liability, and a bit of a 'luxury' player. If you watch him and Lampard together it's a phenomenal combination, and compliment each others style of play.

Absolute dynamite -and I hold my hands up when at the start of the season I thought he was a liability, and a bit of a 'luxury' player. If you watch him and Lampard together it's a phenomenal combination, and compliment each others style of play.

It's a damn shame we didn't get Deco years ago!! Your right the link up play with Lamps is incredible.

I watched him at home to huddersfield in the FA youth cup, looked good.

He is a fantastic player, very much like Deco and i would like to see him brought through as his eventual replacement. Fantasic at dead ball situatuons as well, the vision and passing is top class.