Joe Cole: He's Not That Good.

.Cee

I'm more than open to discussion on this topic, so please don't just barrage me with countless posts of "You don't watch Chelsea"...e.t.c.

I thought at the start of last season he looked good under AG, his peak was probably the games surrounding Valencia away when he did that superb through ball for Didier at the Mestalla.

After the mid-point of last season and the few games we've had so far this season, I have found him infuriatingly inconsistent and sometimes downright ordinary.

I bring this point up mainly because I disagreed strongly with his being the Chelsea Fans Player of the Year Award. I felt that that Riccy and Ballack were far more deserving.

On a further note I would like to add that I am starting to see Joey play more and more centrally and is losing his tag as a winger because of it, which definitely harms him because we have so many better central players.

Joe Cole has had one (count them) outstanding season in a Chelsea shirt - the one before he got injured. Since then, he's had a few outstanding games, and very little else. The more step-overs he does, and the more times he flings himself to the ground in an outrageously bad dive, the less effective he becomes. Mourinho made him take responsibility on the field, whereas Grant let him slide back into excess.

I like Joe, and at times he can be very exciting to watch. However, he's gone back to being more show-pony than serious attacking threat, and that makes him extremely expendable. As for last season's POTY award, I can only assume that people were drunk when they voted.

From CFCnet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. Most of last season he was shite, just had a few excellent games and a fair amount of outstanding moments of genius which covered over 89 minutes of doing fuck all in a match. As great as Joe is technically, he has those games where he just fades away and we're just carrying him through the match and its frustrating. Mourinho used him as an impact player from the bench, which is his best role IMO.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

The points they've made are fair points, but saying he's turned into a show pony again overnight is stretching things. Last season he was the only player we could truely rely on to open up defences. We were too one dimensional with our play due to the lack of width.

Now with the arrival of Deco and we've seen already what an impact he's had on the side, we're trying a new style of play and atm Joe Cole doesnt seem to be getting the game time he would maybe like. People are maybe thinking that if Joe Cole was worthy of the POTY award then he would be in the side every week. We've so much depth in the midfield that its hard to pick who would be best to start.

He'd a stinker against Wigan, but the whole team were far from spectacular in that game. You dont become crap overnight. The boy has talent. Give him a break ffs, he cant be a world beater every game.