Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

4 hours ago, It's too big said:

Let's not forget that Rudiger had a similar injury too, now he's one of our best players. People often forget how advanced treatment and rehab for these type of injuries is in this sport, especially at the highest level. I'm all for it if the player wants to come and Roma are willing to let him go for a reasonable fee. We desperately need competition and back up for Alonso at LWB as he's having to play pretty much every game for us at the moment. 

azpilicueta had one too iirc

Actually the loan with option to buy makes a lot of sense. We shouldn't be throwing out 25m for a player who just came back from a terrible injury, and we certainly don't wanna be paying that much for a - possibly - stop gap option. 

If he becomes an instant success, great. If he doesn't, we can pursue other targets in the summer. Sadly it makes too much sense for me to believe the board will able to pull it off.

8 hours ago, Hybrid Angel said:

Actually the loan with option to buy makes a lot of sense. We shouldn't be throwing out 25m for a player who just came back from a terrible injury, and we certainly don't wanna be paying that much for a - possibly - stop gap option. 

If he becomes an instant success, great. If he doesn't, we can pursue other targets in the summer. Sadly it makes too much sense for me to believe the board will able to pull it off.

3 hours ago, El P. said:

If it's loan, I can live with that. Not easily, but I can.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Decent point but christ! We are a big club (supposedly) and we are going around wanting to sign players on loan. :doh:

What's the point of signing Palmieri on loan? I get that he got the ACL injury and there may be option to buy but what if he struggles during the loan? Will he adapt fast enough? What if he turns out to be even more useless than Zappacosta? Then we have practically wasted a place in the team and will continue to run Alonso to the ground. We might as well just use someone from the academy or even Baba Rahman until the end of the season and then look for a top class option in the summer.

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

:o

I know, right!? Watching Zappa and Alonso trying to do so is painful. Alonso is too slow to run by anyone and Zappacosta tries the same move that hardly ever comes off. Moses is much better but still not great.

27 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If he's back fit I don't mind this. Watching him on the old YouTube and he looks very similar to Alex Telles. Good pace, great skill, can actually beat a player 1 v 1.

Is Youtube really a good platform to judge players? <_<

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Decent point but christ! We are a big club (supposedly) and we are going around wanting to sign players on loan. :doh:

What's the point of signing Palmieri on loan? I get that he got the ACL injury and there may be option to buy but what if he struggles during the loan? Will he adapt fast enough? What if he turns out to be even more useless than Zappacosta? Then we have practically wasted a place in the team and will continue to run Alonso to the ground. We might as well just use someone from the academy or even Baba Rahman until the end of the season and then look for a top class option in the summer.

Plenty of big clubs do similar deals, loan with an option to buy (isn't that what Bayern had with Coman?), but it just doesn't seem to happen in England. I guess other teams look at the money in the league and want a straight deal. 

The idea would be for the club to get him in properly ourselves on loan and try him out - has he recovered from his ACL, or has he lost a yard of pace? Does he adapt to the league?

If he does then we have an agreement in place that we can benefit from buying a good player for a reasonable fee. If he doesn't then we haven't really lost anything. Like Pato or Falcao, can you imagine if we actually brought them and were still stuck with them? I'd rather a loan in place with an option to buy when there are huge question marks as opposed to outlaying on him. 

And if Barca knock us out of the Champions League, and only 2 games left in the league cup, we could be back to playing one game a week for the rest of the season so if he is no good, Alonso will still be in a position to play more often than not.