Clarke - I almost quit Blues

Milan

Chelsea assistant manager Steve Clarke has admitted he came close to leaving the club last season.

Clarke, who first arrived at Stamford Bridge as a player in 1987, concedes that Jose Mourinho's departure almost convinced him it was time to move on.

However, he changed his mind at the end of the campaign after Chelsea came second in the Premier League and agonisingly lost the UEFA Champions League final to Manchester United on penalties.

Clarke admits he would only want to leave on a high and is now determined to help guide Chelsea to success this term.

"Last October when Jose Mourinho left I was 90 per cent certain I was going to leave," he told the Daily Star Sunday.

"But then by the end of the season I wanted to stay because I didn't want to leave on a blank season.

"After a season like that I think it would have been too hard to move. I wanted to put things right."

Clarke believes his feelings are shared by many of the players, with the likes of Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba opting to stay despite interest from elsewhere.

He explained: "You can imagine the pain in the group. Now they have the opportunity to go out and put everything right."

skysports

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must have been so difficult for Clarkey, As you say CM, he is Chelsea through and through and after the high of Jose's time with us, having to work under Grant must have been like a kick in the bollocks for him. The fella played well for us and is now coaching well for us and although there is supposedly no room for sentiment in football, I firmly believe that Steve should be looked after by the board.

It must have been so difficult for Clarkey, As you say CM, he is Chelsea through and through and after the high of Jose's time with us, having to work under Grant must have been like a kick in the bollocks for him. The fella played well for us and is now coaching well for us and although there is supposedly no room for sentiment in football, I firmly believe that Steve should be looked after by the board.

agreed :smiliecap1: