Mason Mount

the wes

37 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm not going to water this down. I don't like the way you speak about Chelsea players. I have question marks about many members of the squad but I never feel the need to insult them and I can't understand why any Chelsea fan would want to do that.

I think Mason is rapidly becoming an enigma in this team. He most certainly does not possess zero talent and zero intelligence. He has plenty of both. Indeed, for the time being, I can't foresee any big game where TT would choose to leave him out. That is going to be the root of the dilemma however. With the current squad Mason is the player we can't live with and the player we can't live without.

In the phrase I like to use, he nearly always nearly gets it right. In most situations where a key contribution is required Mason comes very close to getting it right but most of the time does not actually do so. Either Mason is going to figure this out and become a great footballer, or else TT is going to have to take a tough but vitally important decision about his squad.

I am busy now, but tomorrow I will name games without him. We never missed him. 

All you need to know, last season in PL if you take away set pieces and relegated teams he has 2000 mins plus and 1g 0a. If he continues this way Ziyech and Pulisic will be easily ahead of him. 

Edited by NikkiCFC

37 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

1g 0a

This is the problem but they are not the only measures of a midfielder's contribution. A list of good displays without Mason won't advance the argument. I recognise the shortfall in offensive output and the manager must do too. Nevertheless, the manager consistently selects Mason and TT is not an idiot. There is a reason Mason plays all the big games when available. He is clearly giving the manager something he likes. For now.

It can't go on like this however. Professionals like to talk about small margins and fine details. Well, we aren't getting enough of the details right in key moments. If Mason can't become a part of the solution he will definitely become a problem for TT to solve.

Brilliant player and extremely intelligent. One of my favorite players in the team.

No matter the manager, he will always play when fit. He will play for us and he will play for England, because he brings so much to the team.

His tactical awareness is key in making a team competitive. All competitive sides have this type of player in their starting XI, but we have the best version of that type of player. Mount is young and will improve, but right now he's already an attacking threat especially considering all else that he already does for the team.  
you know not long ago this fella assisted in a CL final. He seems to up his game against the toughest opposition. That’s what I like most about him.

Edited by robsblubot

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I saw this pics last season many times. MM is just work horse, zero talent and intelligence. Every time I see him starting I roll with my eyes. Problem with MM in both England and Chelsea he starts ahead of way superior players and this is hard for people to accept. Nothing to do with him. Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech... He starts ahead of them. How do you explain this? Not possible... He is like Lingard in United. He will be here at 26 still considered academy talent until we finally move him. 

Ironic you pick a game where he played bad and didn’t get any assists to bash him, only a week after going missing from this thread after his assist last week v Arsenal….

Am actually starting to doubt your even a fan now, just one of these individuals who is only ever here to criticise folk, which is even more ironic considering we played over a whole half with 10 men against a top top team 🤣 honestly what a load of fucking dross

Edited by OneMoSalah

Mount is frustrating and has been this season particularly, but so have other players too, have to be objective and fair about things. Most of our attackers have an issue when it comes to the 16 yard box, out of the options they often pick the wrong one or the less effective one. We've come so far under TT and ultimately, Mount specifically as its his thread, will learn to take those options ie. the pass for Kai in the UCL final is what I think of as soon as I recall the runs/photo linked above of the pass that needs to be played. So let's not pretend he isn't capable of playing those passes and doesn't, the issue at the moment is that he hasn't taken the opportunities to do so yet, but neither have a lot of other players.

11 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I saw this pics last season many times. MM is just work horse, zero talent and intelligence. Every time I see him starting I roll with my eyes. 

Yet every single manager he's played under including the current best in the world disagrees with you.

Not to mention managers like Sarri and Mourinho have both as good as confirmed he would be a starter if he was their player.

If it was 1 or 2 managers you could maybe play the blind spot card, but you're going to look very silly if you try to claim that 6 managers are being blackmailed.

I think some time on the bench will ultimately benefit him, he has to know his droppable other wise he won't improve in the areas his sorely lacking consistency. We need someone who raises their head in the final 3rd especially for a team that generally doesn't score a lot of goals we need composure. If his not bringing goals he needs to bring assists. Play Ziyech or Werner for the next few games with Mount coming in from the bench. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2021 at 02:09, NikkiCFC said:

I saw this pics last season many times. MM is just work horse, zero talent and intelligence. Every time I see him starting I roll with my eyes. Problem with MM in both England and Chelsea he starts ahead of way superior players and this is hard for people to accept. Nothing to do with him. Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech... He starts ahead of them. How do you explain this? Not possible... He is like Lingard in United. He will be here at 26 still considered academy talent until we finally move him. 

Terrible post all fans have player they are not keen on but this is like Mount is pub player but at TWENTY TWO is a Champion League Winner, player of the year, England regular and been at Chelsea since he was 10. You can't be Chelsea fan and hate someone this bad as I said to you before stick to FIFA.

28 minutes ago, Jap Si. said:

Terrible post all fans have player they are not keen on but this is like Mount is pub player but at TWENTY TWO is a Champion League Winner, player of the year, England regular and been at Chelsea since he was 10. You can't be Chelsea fan and hate someone this bad as I said to you before stick to FIFA.

I support Chelsea around 20 years, you said you started following football a couple of years ago, you are absolutely not competent to speak with me. 

Edited by NikkiCFC

On 29/08/2021 at 05:05, robsblubot said:

Brilliant player and extremely intelligent. One of my favorite players in the team.

No matter the manager, he will always play when fit. He will play for us and he will play for England, because he brings so much to the team.

His tactical awareness is key in making a team competitive. All competitive sides have this type of player in their starting XI, but we have the best version of that type of player. Mount is young and will improve, but right now he's already an attacking threat especially considering all else that he already does for the team.  
you know not long ago this fella assisted in a CL final. He seems to up his game against the toughest opposition. That’s what I like most about him.

I like Mason's strengths. Indeed if it wasn't for those strengths he wouldn't a point for discussion because he wouldn't get in the team. 🙂

I agree that TT, or any CFC manager, will want to pick Mason but I do get frustrated when he misses makeable opportunities to launch an attack, create a chance or score a goal. This is a fine judgement because all players fail to maximise situations. If they didn't we'd be watching 10 - 10 draws a lot of weeks. The game is fun because scoring goals is hard but TT's regular observation that we lack 'precision' shows he feels we should be doing better in some situations. I consider Mason to be a culprit in this.

We all want our squad to improve continually. If Mason does not show the progression you are expecting from him then eventually there will be a new squad member who will give Mason a fight for his place. This is the nature of a footballers life. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

I support Chelsea around 20 years, you said you started following football a couple of years ago, you are absolutely not competent to speak with me. 

That is true where I'm from football not big. But I don't believe you have support Chelsea for 20 years and I don't write posts saying terrible things about our players none of which are true. Buy the way also you hate on English national team calling Southgate clown despite getting England to semi final of WC  and final of Euro's which is pretty good I feel.

21 minutes ago, Mana said:

People here were banging on he's the next prime hybrid Fabregas/Lampard. He's nowhere near. People can use their xT, xG, xP, xA all they like, I see through my eyes and what I see is Mount is a player that Chelsea fans protect and defend because he's "one of our own".

Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic doesn't get so much love compared to Mount and they have also been average/poor at best, so "one of our own" is a very valid reason.

Mount has showed little to no progression for me so far. This season he HAS to improve. I want more assists and goals. An upward trajectory. He has Lukaku now, become the next de Bruyne. Because right now, he's just a workhorse. And that's why TT and Southgate love the guy. Because even though he's at his worst, he works hard on that pitch. That's one thing I can't fault on, his workrate.

We are Champions of Europe because of that assist to Havertz. Well done. I can only wish he could do more of that. Not one of these rare moments that he does an assist. Because we need more of that in the PL.

Honestly, if Mount has more or less the same goals/assists as last season, it's time to find a replacement and for him to be a bench player. We did this with Abraham, we should do this for Mount as well.

We seriously need more creativity.

Totally agree with this, as much as he's one of our own etc and we all want the Academy boys to shine, this is a defining season for Mount. I hope he seriously realises that as well, otherwise the only option is to be looking at replacements.

The energy and work rate he brings is pivotal to the way we play, so ultimately, it is valued higher than other parts of the game. 

Mount seems to rush his passes and shots as well, he often gets into the right positions to shoot or play that pass, fluffs it usually, perhaps it'll come with maturity.

1 hour ago, DH1988 said:

The energy and work rate he brings is pivotal to the way we play, so ultimately, it is valued higher than other parts of the game. 

Mount seems to rush his passes and shots as well, he often gets into the right positions to shoot or play that pass, fluffs it usually, perhaps it'll come with maturity.

He overthinks. Look at Grealish's goal last night. He virtually does that almost every game. Get into positions to create a chance.

When was the last time we saw Mount even attempt something like that? Liverpool away? It doesn't come naturally to him as he isn't that sort of player yet. 

On 16/09/2021 at 05:08, OhForAGreavsie said:

I like Mason's strengths. Indeed if it wasn't for those strengths he wouldn't a point for discussion because he wouldn't get in the team. 🙂

I agree that TT, or any CFC manager, will want to pick Mason but I do get frustrated when he misses makeable opportunities to launch an attack, create a chance or score a goal. This is a fine judgement because all players fail to maximise situations. If they didn't we'd be watching 10 - 10 draws a lot of weeks. The game is fun because scoring goals is hard but TT's regular observation that we lack 'precision' shows he feels we should be doing better in some situations. I consider Mason to be a culprit in this.

We all want our squad to improve continually. If Mason does not show the progression you are expecting from him then eventually there will be a new squad member who will give Mason a fight for his place. This is the nature of a footballers life. 

Agreed. I think he's progressing nicely though. It's always a curve with ups and downs.

However, like I write below, he will never be a super creative player, and that's fine. We can fill that (creative) role elsewhere in the team.

On 16/09/2021 at 06:04, Mana said:

People here were banging on he's the next prime hybrid Fabregas/Lampard. He's nowhere near. People can use their xT, xG, xP, xA all they like, I see through my eyes and what I see is Mount is a player that Chelsea fans protect and defend because he's "one of our own".

Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic doesn't get so much love compared to Mount and they have also been average/poor at best, so "one of our own" is a very valid reason.

Mount has showed little to no progression for me so far. This season he HAS to improve. I want more assists and goals. An upward trajectory. He has Lukaku now, become the next de Bruyne. Because right now, he's just a workhorse. And that's why TT and Southgate love the guy. Because even though he's at his worst, he works hard on that pitch. That's one thing I can't fault on, his workrate.

We are Champions of Europe because of that assist to Havertz. Well done. I can only wish he could do more of that. Not one of these rare moments that he does an assist. Because we need more of that in the PL.

Honestly, if Mount has more or less the same goals/assists as last season, it's time to find a replacement and for him to be a bench player. We did this with Abraham, we should do this for Mount as well.

We seriously need more creativity.

Think your focus here is misplaced on mount. What you want from Mount, and what the manager wants from him, seem to be very different things indeed. Not only Tuchel... every manager loves him! Tuchel leaves and the first player on the starting XI will be mount.... wanna bet?!

You are looking at this from one PoV only, and only attacking minded. Mount's worse than Lampard and Fabregas (they were nothing alike either) in some aspects and better in others. I'd say characteristics wise, Mount's nothing like Lampard much less fabregas. He's a fine player with his own characteristics. His mobility alone should make that abundantly clear.

If you want more creativity, well, that's why there are other positions we can use to add more creativity. It's not mount's fault Ziyech is such a shit player. That Odoi can't take the next step in his game. That Pulisic is up and down both form and fitness wise (and a bit too similar to Werner).

Lukaku himself isn't a very creative striker (say like Benzema or Lewa), who can help make the team tick. It's not his fault... we got him knowing what he does on the pitch. It's up to the club and manager to provide what Lukaku lacks elsewhere on the pitch. And it's the same with Mount.That's why you build a team with different characteristics and skillsets.

Think folks here seem to be focusing on his position too much, while what really matters is his role in the squad.

Edited by robsblubot

• 2 weeks later...

I dont buy his injury. TT said he got injured during Cup game but he finished that game and even took penalty. Before City he said if game is on Sunday instead of Saturday he would play but he is still out.

I think he was given some time off to recover from whatever is going on with him... Even his big fans are surprised with how bad he is this season. His last good game was in May.