Mason Mount

the wes

On 25/03/2021 at 07:56, Jason said:

For sure, as I have said about Mount he can play No.6, No.8 or No.10 (the modern day version of it); although not sure about a No.4 as I think he would be wasted their a little.

Personally, I reckon he ends up a No.6 or No.8 (depending on formation) as I am not sure he will ever be clinical enough with his finishing/final pass to be a premier No.10. 

However, it is good to see that Mount is now starting to be more widely recognized for his talents and potential. @Tomo is another who has said this all along. 

Gareth Southgate hit the nail on the head. 

“I was saying in the autumn that he is a very good player. I suppose now Thomas Tuchel picks him, everybody will agree,’ Southgate told a press conference.

‘When it was Frank Lampard, it didn’t count for some reason.

‘He’s an exceptional player. He finds space intelligently, he manipulates the ball very well, creates chances, scores goals.

‘I thought his performance was excellent tonight.’

On 09/03/2021 at 08:25, Tomo said:

What seems to be forgotten given his average last 2/3 years is Oscar was pretty promising when he first came on to the scene.

If Mount can become was Oscar was suppose to have turned into I won't be complaining. 

Agreed. When I hear about Oscar, it seems like he came, missed a pk in CL final and then left us to join Arsenal at his peak. When in reality, he was an important player to win 2 PLs and then left on an excellent deal for both him and the club and very far from his peak. (and to china of all places)

Regarding mount, I am happy to have been right about him. Thought some of his attributes were very underrated around here. While I understand that folks have personal preferences about style, and what they expect an attacking mid to do, it's a team sport and we need AMs with very different characteristics to make it work.

Mount IMO is actually very unique in the squad: hard to replace him when he can't play.

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Agreed. When I hear about Oscar, it seems like he came, missed a pk in CL final and then left us to join Arsenal at his peak. When in reality, he was an important player to win 2 PLs and then left on an excellent deal for both him and the club and very far from his peak. (and to china of all places)

Regarding mount, I am happy to have been right about him. Thought some of his attributes were very underrated around here. While I understand that folks have personal preferences about style, and what they expect an attacking mid to do, it's a team sport and we need AMs with very different characteristics to make it work.

Mount IMO is actually very unique in the squad: hard to replace him when he can't play.

I agree with the point to a degree, he was a good player here but lets be honest he was so irrelevant in that second PL title win with Conte, as soon as we swapped to a back 3 he was out in the cold and played 4 times since September before he left, after originally playing the first 5 games with Conte in a 433. And when Conte challenged him to stay and fight for his place instead of going to China, he left.

The deal was excellent for the club and player yes but we got the much better end of it. Undoubtedly. Getting rid of a player who looked like he may have truely struggled to fulfil his potential, who didnt play in the starting 11 every week, for 60m... only one winner there.

11 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Mount is twice the player Oscar was/is, Oscar was massively overrated, his name was bigger than him.

Mount is controlling things for Chelsea and England, imagine that

Unpopular opinion but Oscar was by far the superior talent. His technique was more polished than Mount's. Also Oscar was more creative and capable of extraordinary goals. Still what he lacked was Mount's consistency, hunger and leadership. That is why Mount will probably become a captain and legend for Chelsea while only the more meticulous Blues fans will remember Oscar in 30 years.

Huge difference. 

Under Lampard last 13 PL games he had 13x90. 

In 16 games under Tuchel he played 5 times full 90 mins. 

Frank was so obsessed with the kid it was not healthy. 

And I said almost a year ago. All the hate he was getting was on Frank. 

Ironically Tuchel is much better coach for him. 

Didn’t exactly play fantastically, nobody did but in a moment where we were second best he popped up with a bit of magic to give us a bit of breathing space.

How anyone cannot see or choses not to see how key Mount is to this team is beyond me.

57 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I thought he did not play well apart from his goal

That's mostly because the service the front 3 got was shit. Jorginho and Kovacic couldn't pass forward to save their lives and any time our defenders tried to play forward passes, they overhit them. Even Tuchel said there was a disconnection between the back 7 and front 3.