Mason Mount

the wes

1 hour ago, Stats said:

Mount is not the most creative but he has a drive, brilliant technique which will get better. His shooting from range is really underrated. Like I say his passing is decent, not the best. He produced that brilliant pass for CHO against Rennes which he needs to do more but that will come. Even Grealish struggled to necessarily carve through oppositions at the same age playing in the Championship. Few years down the line, he has worked on his technique, passing, dribbling. Mount will get there. He already has brilliant stamina, movement, technique. I think he is brilliant all round midfielder. 

I was referring to the comment about him being a 'hardworker with no end product'. He isnt just simply a hardworker with no end product. He contributed more goals than most people his age last season in the same area. Like I say Fernandes was no way near world class at that age. There are many other examples too of players who are top class now and were unknown at the same age. He can be inconsistent like @DDAsaid but for me he is a young player who needs to work on his end product. But that also means other players in the team stepping up too.

Well when you have so many quality players, I would expect rotation more often. So I wouldn't expect him to be a guaranteed starter but to get a lot of game time.

Yes, Mount has the tools to potentially be great and I don't really disagree with you there but think the issue, as mentioned before, is that fans seem to overhype/overrate him way beyond his current abilities right now. He's decent/good but definitely not world class now. Any little good thing that Mount does, you have people going super gaga over it (maybe not here but certainly on places like Twitter), like it's the greatest thing in the world. If someone like Kovacic does it, the reaction is more muted.

Also, answer this hypothetical question... 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

if this Mount had come through the academy at another club, would we go gaga and want to buy him for say 30, 40, 50 million now?

Don't be biased.

On 20/02/2021 at 15:11, OneMoSalah said:

True but what I like about him is he takes responsibility in the final third. He doesn’t  always have the final pass but he’s wanting to make things happen and takes risks. Once he irons out his final output in terms of final pass and his shooting, people will appreciate his value much more. 

His general play is good though, he is pretty well rounded, he also works hard and I know people don’t see that as a huge quality but in modern day football pressing the ball when you lose it is so common and so important now. We wont see him being subbed off like CHO was for something to do with poor energy in counter pressing or whatever TT said it was. 

The most annoying is how a lot of people compare his output to players like Maddison (age 24) and Grealish (age 25), and use that as a stick to beat him down.

To me, Mount has the necessary tools, the time and the attitude to reach those levels.

More importantly he seems to also have that same kind of endurance that Lampard had as a player. An underrated quality which you value only when you look at players like Pulisic who end up being missing for nearly 2/3'rds of the season.

Edited by Blue Armour

Mason Mount for me the prefect (nearly) squad player someone who is needed in a team. He is someone who would be a manager's delight because he offers something in all positions but for fans he would always he doesnt specializes in anything. 

At 22, he definitely has the right attitude, drive & determination to succeed. He remind of a young Lampard and maybe would have the same path to success. 

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Also, answer this hypothetical question... 

Don't be biased.

Maybe because he isn't your typical flair player like Grealish, Maddison etc, he isnt going to stand out but in a few years time, I am sure once he becomes all round accomplished player, I would be calling for us to sign him but while he is our there in the team, I am happy with him in there.

6 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

More importantly he seems to also have that same kind of endurance that Lampard had as a player. An underrated quality which you value only when you look at players like Pulisic who end up being missing for nearly 2/3'rds of the season.

Seriously? Now Mount gets praised for basically being non-injury prone player? You said it as if Pulisic wanted to be an injury prone player or that he intentionally gets injured all the time. 

1 hour ago, Stats said:

Maybe because he isn't your typical flair player like Grealish, Maddison etc, he isnt going to stand out but in a few years time, I am sure once he becomes all round accomplished player, I would be calling for us to sign him but while he is our there in the team, I am happy with him in there.

So in other words, you wouldn't buy Mount right now if he had come through another academy elsewhere but would do so if/when he only becomes a top class in the future, just like we mostly do with other players? Ookay.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

So in other words, you wouldn't buy Mount right now if he had come through another academy elsewhere but would do so if/when he only becomes a top class in the future, just like we mostly do with other players? Ookay.

Last season, when everyone was raving about Grealish, I was not sold on him, but his performances this season have literally reached world class. Just because I wouldn't sign another player from another academy or club does not mean I do not rate them. But since Mount has been an academy product, it is hard to put down that marker whether I would take him or not. He is a quality player, but there are many other quality players who play in his role in different teams also. Think Maddison is a quality player, but I wouldn't necessarily take him because we have Mount. The question maybe to ask is at 22 years of age, would I have taken Grealish compared to Mount at same age? No. Maddison? No.

But even when Mount was on loan at Vitesse and Derby, I was always hoping that within the next 2 seasons we would integrate him into the team.

4 minutes ago, Stats said:

Last season, when everyone was raving about Grealish, I was not sold on him, but his performances this season have literally reached world class. Just because I wouldn't sign another player from another academy or club does not mean I do not rate them. But since Mount has been an academy product, it is hard to put down that marker whether I would take him or not. He is a quality player, but there are many other quality players who play in his role in different teams also. Think Maddison is a quality player, but I wouldn't necessarily take him because we have Mount. The question maybe to ask is at 22 years of age, would I have taken Grealish compared to Mount at same age? No. Maddison? No.

But even when Mount was on loan at Vitesse and Derby, I was always hoping that within the next 2 seasons we would integrate him into the team.

Forget Grealish. Forget Maddison. I never once mentioned them to compare them with Mount on this and I don't care about them. Am just asking specifically about Mount and whether you would take him right now, at this moment of time. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Forget Grealish. Forget Maddison. I never once mentioned them to compare them with Mount on this and I don't care about them. Am just asking specifically about Mount and whether you would take him right now, at this moment of time. 

Well, that is a tough one, but he certainly would be high up on my options, yes.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

But not a guarantee buy going by your post above. 😏

Well there is so much other talented players. He just happens to be one of them. I mean even the England team let alone squad is so hard to pick right now, such is the talent in that squad.

5 hours ago, Stats said:

Comparing him to Grealish is different. Grealish is a wide player. His games in a central role this season he has 0 goals and 0 assists. Not his position again but gets frustrating how when everyone mentions Mason Mount, Grealish is one of the the first names used to compare him. Or Foden. These guys are used as wingers.

Also as you said, they are more flair players (although would say Maddison and Grealish have both worked on their end product and being more reliable) but lets also not forget Maddison took a bit of time to look at home in the PL and is 24 now. I seen him play up at Aberdeen and could tell he would always go and play at a very high level but it took time for him to establish himself as a top player consistently in that position he plays and also Brendan Rodgers deserves huge credit in helping him develop as he has. Also was Jack Grealish a better player than Mount aged 22? 

Still don’t see how some people cant see Mason’s value to this team though. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

The problem of a mason is his decision making and lack of creativity. How many open play assists has he? He played so many games as a no.10 and I see Tammy making open play assists to Mason, but not the other way around. In our last match, Mason could have easily played a pass to Werner, who was free, but Mason decided to go inside instead and got fouled. Our free kick after that was horrible, but if Mason plays the ball to Werner, it is a 1 vs 1 situation against the Gk. Maddison easily plays that pass. That was really not that hard

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Comparing him to Grealish is different. Grealish is a wide player. His games in a central role this season he has 0 goals and 0 assists. Not his position again but gets frustrating how when everyone mentions Mason Mount, Grealish is one of the the first names used to compare him. Or Foden. These guys are used as wingers.

Also as you said, they are more flair players (although would say Maddison and Grealish have both worked on their end product and being more reliable) but lets also not forget Maddison took a bit of time to look at home in the PL and is 24 now. I seen him play up at Aberdeen and could tell he would always go and play at a very high level but it took time for him to establish himself as a top player consistently in that position he plays and also Brendan Rodgers deserves huge credit in helping him develop as he has. Also was Jack Grealish a better player than Mount aged 22? 

Still don’t see how some people cant see Mason’s value to this team though. 

I totally agree. Yes I guess Grealish is used out wide but it is just a measure to show that when Mount gets to their age he will be a lot better than he is now and I just don’t get the harsh criticism he gets at times. He is the second youngest player after Robben to get into double figures in the league for us and is also a regular for club and country. I genuinely think he has the ability to easily get into double figures a season.

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Grealish is a wide player. His games in a central role this season he has 0 goals and 0 assists. 

This is not true. He has just 5 games as AM and 2 assists and 1 penalty won. But look at this game for example he played AM and ended up with 1 assist ad 1 pen won. But could easily had 4 assists.

You can see all this in 2 mins video.

Also about Mount, you realize he is not number 8 anymore? Under Tuchel he is one of the 3 most offensive players and even under Frank he played winger many times.

33 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

This is not true. He has just 5 games as AM and 2 assists and 1 penalty won. But look at this game for example he played AM and ended up with 1 assist ad 1 pen won. But could easily had 4 assists.

You can see all this in 2 mins video.

Also about Mount, you realize he is not number 8 anymore? Under Tuchel he is one of the 3 most offensive players and even under Frank he played winger many times.

Okay 2 assists in 7 games. And a video from against WBA? Cmon, they were probably the worst team in the league at the time considering it was over 2 months ago. But still, Grealish’s best and most common positions on the left side and thats why the comparison with Mount is annoying and stupid if you ask me. But people will still make it. 

Also yes I realise that he is playing as a more offensive player but his role is still not exactly as that of a winger or a striker either, hes played more like a number 10 with Tammy and Werner playing as split strikers. If anyone who has watched the games under TT so far hasn't noticed Mason has been one of the better players despite a lack of goals and assists, then they are deluding themselves, he was dropped and within the cameo he made it was inevitable he would he reinstated to the team. Its no surprise Mason playing well has all of a sudden corresponded with other attacking players starting to improve also (CHO and Werner especially), he knits things together, bringing others into the game in the final third. Not necessarily with assists but watch him tonight, he drifts to the left and the right to play with the wingbacks and other attacking players a lot. I get it, he doesnt have great stats but which young English player had over 10 goals and assists who played this position aged 22? (Picked these values as this seems to be minimum requirement as it was for Oscar when he was here who played same position). I get people will irrelevantly compare him against someone who predominantly plays as a winger because other than Maddison there aren’t any other young English player in that position whos even close to Mason and Maddison (who is superior to Mason ATM but it took him time to iron out consistency issues that he had at Aberdeen and Norwich and arguably you could say Rodgers appointment has elevated him to another level) but if we are going to compare him to Grealish we may as well compare him to Sancho, to Rashford etc as well - which would be even more stupider than comparing him to Grealish already is.

For all the talk of Grealish also, he has got 6 goals and 10 assists in the PL (which is better than his previous returns) but considering 11 of those were in 2020, his output has significantly dropped off also (understandable when you get 5 goal involvements in 1 game that its always going to drop off). He’s contributed to 5 league goals this year but Mount has contributed to 3 which considered the change in management after Luton, hopefully he can produce more because thats the only thing that is frustrating about his game but at age 22, its to be expecred that he isnt the final product. I mean Grealish didn’t get double figures in the league in goals and assists in his career until the 2018/19 season (which was in the championship, playing for the best team in the division at the time). Also overall in their careers Mount has more goals than Grealish.. in 50 or 60 odd less appearances if it means anything. Although as I said the comparison is stupid to begin with.

I can see why people would compare Maddison as him and Mount will undoubtedly be going for the same/a similar position, but Grealish will be competing with Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden etc so he should be compared with them.