Mason Mount

the wes

12 hours ago, King Kante said:

I have always defended Mount on here, he is a very good player that is only going to get better and better. People need to remember two things with the SFL comparisons. 1) Mount presses a lot better than SFL did and 2) SFL didn't really become an elite player until 24ish. Mount still has another 3 years of development before we should be comparing him to peak SFL. From where I am sitting I would say at 21 Mount's all round game is actually better than SFL, although SFL at 21 did have better shooting technique. 

Further, this season his crosses from corners have been unreal. He must have something like a 80% hit ratio of hittting the correct area. Compare that to Willian's dire crossing we had to put up with since 2015/16. 

thank you for thsi really cogent, concise post

11 hours ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

Yes I think the key is to not overplay him. That was his "down fall" of sorts last season.

I don't think that's the case.

Mount has played every game and almost every minute for club and country. 

He has played 90 mins against Burnley, shu, Newcastle, leeds, Spurs in the league, Rennes*2 and all 3 games for England in the break. Since Nov start, every minute that he could have played, he has played.

So I don't think being overplayed was an issue. It was simply a case of having better players around him and playing as a no.8 rather than the wing or a 10

• 2 weeks later...

Mason is the real deal. With his work ethic he is bound to succeed. Similar to Lampard in that sense - not the most gifted player out there, but smart and pushes himself. There were question marks over him as he was being played out of position, but in 4-3-3 he is on his way to becoming a top box-to-box midfielder.

10 minutes ago, manpe said:

Mason is the real deal. With his work ethic he is bound to succeed. Similar to Lampard in that sense - not the most gifted player out there, but smart and pushes himself. There were question marks over him as he was being played out of position, but in 4-3-3 he is on his way to becoming a top box-to-box midfielder.

Tbh i think the Lampard comparisons are lazy based on them both being English, play/played for Chelsea and Mason idiolizing Frank and then playing under him.

If pushed i'd say he's closer to Essien than Lampard stylistically.

I agree. Not only stylistically but also statistically.

I am sure some will see this as hating on him as always but can we really say he is the real deal for the future? Many, including pundits and Frank speak like he will 100% be starter for Chelsea and England in the next decade.

But to be that he must improve massively in the final 3rd. After he scored 4 goals in his first 8 games for Chelsea I thought he is going to be easily that 10-15 goals per season MF.

But in the next 65 games for us he scored just 5. That is on average 1 goal per 13 games. And one is DDG howler and one is free kick. Also he is great set piece taker, 6 of his 10 assists are corners and free kicks. But from open play not so much.

So maybe thinking of him as attacking midfielder was a mistake? This season if you take away corners he would have 1 goal and 0 assists in the PL. This is Kova level numbers or Essian like Tomo said.

I did not used any forums back than so maybe same of you can say what was a general opinion about Oscar in his first two years here?

His numbers (same age as Mount when started at Chelsea):

12/13: 12g 12a

13/14: 11g 10a

Also Mount played 14 CL games: 0g 1a. Oscar in his first 14 CL games for Chelsea had 6g and 6a.  

In his first 2 seasons here Oscar also delivered numbers against top teams like Juve, Spurs, Arse, Liverpool, UTD... 

Can Mount deliver against top opponents? So far he played 19 games against top6 teams and has 1g - DDG howler and 1a - Leno howler after FK. 

So Mount and Kova at the moment look better than Kai but we are never going to reach heights with them as number 8 duo because they do not produce enough.

I mentioned Oscar because we know how that ended.

Think if he is to make it here long term, he needs to adjust his game and develop as a #6 instead of a #8. 
Lol.

Just give Billy or Bate instead a chance. They have far more potential.

Last season, people said he will become a world class no. 10,then it shifted to world class no. 8 and now TC says he will be a no. 6?

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Lol.

Just give Billy or Bate instead a chance. They have far more potential.

Last season, people said he will become a world class no. 10,then it shifted to world class no. 8 and now TC says he will be a no. 6?

What's Gilmour's sample size? Two games?

I've always been adamant that Mount would develop best as a CM, not CAM. 

What's Gilmour's sample size? Two games?
I've always been adamant that Mount would develop best as a CM, not CAM. 
I have seen all those three guys I mentioned from the beginning.

Mount lacks creativity and you want to give him the Pirlo no. 6 role or the Xavi CM, role? Really?

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

I have seen all those three guys I mentioned from the beginning.

Mount lacks creativity and you want to give him the Pirlo no. 6 role or the Xavi CM, role? Really?

Jorginho had that role. Not Mount. And that role isn't soely defined by a #. 

A #6 leads transitions. That's what he does and that's the basic definition of a #6.  To get the ball from offence to attack, and he's actually very good at that.

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

My point is he’s more of a ball transitioner vs a box to box. 

Wrong choice of using numbers. 

I am not sure what do you mean by transitioner. Right now due to Werner and a bit of Chilwell, he need to play deep role. It is a simple role, get the ball from our cb and feed our attacker, and he has done it very2 well. The problem is our attacker has played like ****. 

I am in a bad mood about the team overall, but the Mount bashing (that has been going on for a year plus) is sending me over the edge

I had multiple goes for along time with Kante, BUT he was either injured and/or playing out of position (fuck Sarri) and he has returned to his WC menacing ways as he is finally healthy and being played in his correct position

same for Zouma, but that was due to his having shit for a great ball handling (thus he was forced to be the ball player FAR too often), back 4-leading WC CB partner, which he now has, and he also is finally completely recovered from his horrific knee injury and has his pace and fearlessness fully back

The other players I have ripped apart for ages are 4 that no one disagrees on, Alonso, Kepa, Jorginho, and Emerson

Mount gets shit on when he is not even playing badly at all, which is something that I see no other player have happen to them,

at least now that Willian is gone, and Willian WAS deserving of most of his criticism on dozens upon dozens of occasions, same for the bobblehead Luiz