Drogba out of opener

Milan

Luiz Felipe Scolari has conceded Didier Drogba is definitely out of Chelsea's first game of the season and is unlikely to figure until the end of August.

The 30-year-old has missed the club's pre-season as he recuperates from a knee injury that will prohibit his involvement at the start of the season.

Chelsea kick-off their campaign against Portsmouth on 17th August and will do so short of fire-power as Nicolas Anelka is their only available recognised striker.

Scolari has pencilled in the London derby against Tottenham on 31st August for a possible return but admits he will not rush the Ivory Coast star back into action.

"Didier will not play in our first game against Portsmouth and will probably miss the second against Wigan. If there are no more problems he should be ready for the game after that," said Scolari.

"But when you have a knee injury, you just never know.

"I have been getting a progress report from the doctor every day.

"He's getting better and is working with a fitness coach back at the training ground. I hope he will be ready to start training next week. But he will not play until he is in good condition."

Skysports

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame that he will not be ready. But Anelka deserved his chance to start anyway. Sheva still has some way to get into form which leave us with Di Santo has the back up for the Pompey game. Hopefully it will be only the first 2 games that Drogba misses.

Sheva's still a bit to go before he's match fit.

We'll probably go 4-3-3 and concentrate on Anelka :thumbsup:

Yup i agree, and with Kalou out at the Olympics i think it will be Malouda and Cole on the wings. I wouldn't be suprised at all if this was our starting line up:

.............................Cech...........................

Bosingwa.......Carvalho....Terry.............A.Cole

.............................Essien.........................

...................Deco...............Lampard...........

J.Cole.....................Anelka...............Malouda

Subs: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Alex, Ballack, Wright-Phillips, Shevchenko, Di Santo

Once we get Drogba and Kalou back and if we sign Robinho we will have incredible options all over the team. More than enough to go out to win all trophies on offer.