Danny Drinkwater

xPetrCechx

4 hours ago, Henrique said:

as someone pointed Matic was replaced by Bakayoko. 

The negativism in this forum is reaching ridiculous levels.

The last sentence is incredible coming from brother. I'm negative about it because the club aren't showing enough ambition.

Let me elaborate my thoughts. I would rather have kept Matic here as the 4th CM than see the club spend pretty big money on an average player that won't improve. I don't like the idea of spending £30/40m or whatever it will be to get Drinkwater. There are lots of good midfielders around that I'd rather see the club spend money on. Or I'd rather see the club maybe be a bit more imaginative and find a smart, Azpi-like signing. 

A Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Matic core isn't bad for example. All midfielders that can displace each other (I know you don't rate Matic but Conte used him lots last year). Drinkwater is worse than all of these players so it doesn't make sense to me that we're gonna spend a huge amount of money on him. If that's negative then I'm sorry I want the club to have a good standard of players across the board as a principle. 

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I would rather have kept Matic here as the 4th CM than see the club spend pretty big money on an average player that won't improve.

I 100% agree with you regarding Drinkwater, but the first part of this sentence is unrealistic because it was not only up to the club to decide. Nemanja wanted to go and, honestly, he's had some bad times, but 4th choice as CM? Impossible.

28 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Nemanja wanted to go and, honestly, he's had some bad times, but 4th choice as CM? Impossible.

A little correction, he want to stay (just buy a new house in London), but he is not willing to sign contract extension, so the club decided to sell him this summer. 

45 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

It really makes your heart sink!!!  ... when after a good sleep, wake up in the morning, do all morning stuff then check the forum only to find the latest discussion happening in Transfer talk is about Danny Drinkwater :(

It will be Charlie Adam tommorow at this rate.

Do you really expect us to bring worldclass midfielder for that 3rd/4th CM spot? 

Danny is a perfect solution, Sanches probably turned down Chelsea because he would not be 100% guarantee starter. Drinkwater on the other side is probably realizing that Leicester was one year wonder and with other midtable clubs investing big money, this could be another relegation battle season for them. He could provide great depth from the bench here, won some trophies and maybe even push for starting eleven if injuries/bad form happens. 

Tolisso and Sanches were destroyed by Emre Can and Henderson last night and I find Danny very similiar to Jordan Henderson type of player. But one is Liverpool captain and the other would be bench player for champions of England. The pessimism on this forum is becoming frustrating atm.

His name is not as fancy as Sanches, Tollisso or Barkley but he would do the job! He would overtake Fabregas in peaking order instantly!

12 hours ago, RoyalBlues said:

Yes, what I mean we shouldn't let Chalobah leave in the first place. Conte more than capable to convince him to stay if he want.

Clearly Antonio either did not want to persuade him to stay, or was not able to. Almost certainly the latter. Either way, given Nate had just a year remaining on his deal, the matter was out of the hands of coach and club. Good luck to him at Watford.

39 minutes ago, jernej93 said:

Do you really expect us to bring worldclass midfielder for that 3rd/4th CM spot? 

Danny is a perfect solution, Sanches probably turned down Chelsea because he would not be 100% guarantee starter. Drinkwater on the other side is probably realizing that Leicester was one year wonder and with other midtable clubs investing big money, this could be another relegation battle season for them. He could provide great depth from the bench here, won some trophies and maybe even push for starting eleven if injuries/bad form happens. 

Tolisso and Sanches were destroyed by Emre Can and Henderson last night and I find Danny very similiar to Jordan Henderson type of player. But one is Liverpool captain and the other would be bench player for champions of England. The pessimism on this forum is becoming frustrating atm.

His name is not as fancy as Sanches, Tollisso or Barkley but he would do the job! He would overtake Fabregas in peaking order instantly!

Big clubs are usually have 2 top players for 1 spot, it's not impossible. World class midfielder will confident he could come here and compete to be a starter.

25 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Clearly Antonio did not want to persuade him to stay, or was not able to. Almost certainly the latter. Either way the matter was out of our hands, given Nate had just a year remaining on his deal. Good luck to him at Watford.

If Conte promised him a bigger role than last season, there is a chance he would consider to sign the extension and stay. Nothing is impossible. One thing is certain, Conte didn't offer that though, so yes in the end he decided to leave. From my perspective, we just let him go.

5 hours ago, RoyalBlues said:

Big clubs are usually have 2 top players for 1 spot, it's not impossible. World class midfielder will confident he could come here and compete to be a starter.

If Conte promised him a bigger role than last season, there is a chance he would consider to sign the extension and stay. Nothing is impossible. One thing is certain, Conte didn't offer that though, so yes in the end he decided to leave. From my perspective, we just let him go.

My feeling, based on what Antonio has had to say, is that the coach did want Nate to stay, but it's unlikely he felt he could keep such a promise. If Antonio did not intend to give Nate a bigger role then, never mind simple honesty, it would just be storing up trouble to lie to a member of your squad. Talking about the greater number of games, and Nate's share of appearances therefore being greater, is about as far as the boss could have gone I think. In their conversations Antonio would certainly have made that point, indeed Nate would have worked it out for himself anyway, but seemingly that was not enough for the young man.

Looks like Antonio was simply unable to sell the idea of staying to the player. Nate wasn't being unreasonable, but he wanted more than Antonio could offer so a parting of the ways was inevitable. It certainly could not be true to think that Antonio would be capable of persuading Nate to stay by mere argument, or force of character. Antonio could have encouraged him to stay only by promising Nate enough starts to keep him happy. That was not a promise Antonio was willing to make, so Nate decided to go.

Once again, good luck to him at Watford.

43 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

My feeling, based on what Antonio has had to say, is that the coach did want Nate to stay, but it's unlikely he felt he could keep such a promise. If Antonio did not intend to give Nate a bigger role then, never mind simple honesty, it would just be storing up trouble to lie to a member of your squad. Talking about the greater number of games, and Nate's share of appearances therefore being greater, is about as far as the boss could have gone I think. In their conversations Antonio would certainly have made that point, indeed Nate would have worked it out for himself anyway, but seemingly that was not enough for the young man.

Looks like Antonio was simply unable to sell the idea of staying to the player. Nate wasn't being unreasonable, but he wanted more than Antonio could offer so a parting of the ways was inevitable. It certainly could not be true to think that Antonio would be capable of persuading Nate to stay by mere argument, or force of character. Antonio could have encouraged him to stay by promising him starts but the was a promise to far, so Nate decided to go. Once again, good luck to him at Watford.

Could be the case, but some has insist the player himself 'badly' want the move, and Conte might not have an opportunity to offer him anything to stay though, he just let him go. Also Matic is still around, his future is still unclear at that time and Bakayoko on the verge to join. At that moment, Chalobah behind 4 players and it is normal he will want to leave, and Conte might not have try to convince him at all.

Now, when we are rumoured to sign the likes of Drinkwater and Barkley for 40m, if only we could offer the exact same opportunity to Chalobah if he is still around with no transfer fee involved. In my opinion, if we capable to convince Drinkwater or Barkley to come here, we're more than capable to do the same thing to Chalobah. Whether Chalobah not confident in his ability to be able to compete and would still refused to stay, is another thing.