Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Cobham Cup

There will be an U16's tournament taking place over the August bank holiday weekend 23rd - 25th called the Cobham cup. Chelsea should be fielding a stronger squad than the one that was taken to the Milk Cup in Ireland. The teams that will take part are:

Chelsea

Ajax

Bayern Munich

Al-Nejmeh

Disney soccer showcase all-stars

Suwon Samsung Bluewings

River Plate

Togliatti FC

So this will be quite a strong competition. Will try and get all the results as they are played from this competition when it happens.

Nice too see we are attracting some good sides to come and play in youth competitions at our training ground. Shows how much our youth team and our facilities have improved over the past year or so.

Nice too see we are attracting some good sides to come and play in youth competitions at our training ground. Shows how much our youth team and our facilities have improved over the past year or so.

I am sure the new academy building will be done by then also. Havn't seen any news on if it is finished yet or not. These tournaments are usually a good indication of how the club is doing in regards to other top teams. Hopefully we will see us come out on top of this one.

• 1 month later...

A senior UEFA official has endorsed the philosophy behind Chelsea's Football Club Academy and how the club develops young players. William Gaillard, who was representing UEFA President Michel Platini at the Cobham Cup over the Bank Holiday weekend, was impressed with our new Academy and Community Pavilion, and even more taken with the quality of football on display from the eight teams involved.

Although the Chelsea Under 16s were eventually beaten into second place by Argentines River Plate, Gaillard, the UEFA Director of Communications and Public Affairs, anticipates a bright future.

''The quality is fantastic, 25 years ago 16-year-olds weren't playing like this and it is quite amazing to see the ball control and the vision, it is stunning,' he began.

'I am also very impressed with the facilities and they are the kind of state-of-the-art facilities that the great clubs need. I am not an expert in football development but there is no doubt that the Chelsea initiative goes exactly in the direction we want big clubs to go, not only to buy players but also to educate players, and we can only approve of that.

'This is the exact philosophy that drives our president Michel Platini, and this is why I am here, on his behalf to welcome this extraordinary initiative, and I hope other clubs will follow suit.'

Source: Chelsea FC

Will have the highlights from all the Chelsea games from this tournament on here hopefully tonight or at least by tommorow night.

The lads done very well and put in some impressive performances. First look at the highly talented Marko Mitrovic who certainly knows where the goal in :D

Up front it looks like we've got some very good players, but there's some suspect defending and goalkeeping in there! But maybe that's the nature of youth team football? I don't really know.

Up front it looks like we've got some very good players, but there's some suspect defending and goalkeeping in there! But maybe that's the nature of youth team football? I don't really know.

Lapses in defence i think is all part of youth footballl, more so at this U16's level than at the U18's level. The players will learn from those mistakes hopefully and in the long run will make them better players.

We do have some fantastic players ready to come through, especially Mitrovic who looks a great goalscorer, we have not had someone who can bang the goals in on a regular basis for the U18's for a long time, so when Mitrovic gets there i hope he can do that.