Sexy Football Not Priority

JLRocaAFP.jpg

The prospects of Chelsea adding the Brazilian forward Robinho to their ranks before the Premier League season starts should become clearer over the next 48 hours because he is expected to meet Real Madrid's sporting director, Predrag Mijatovic, in London over the weekend.

Robinho has become Luiz Felipe Scolari's principal target in the transfer market now that the manager has assessed his squad on their pre-season tour of Asia and Russia. Indeed Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, was sufficiently confident that the 24-year-old could be lured to Stamford Bridge in a deal likely to cost in excess of £25m that he went public last week on the club's interest in signing him, although he conceded that it might take time to reach an agreement.

As Chelsea prepare to take on Lokomotiv Moscow in the Railways Cup this evening Robinho will be in England with Real for the Emirates Cup, to be hosted by Arsenal, and Real are set to make their commitment to keeping him more obvious. Mijatovic is expected to offer him a five-year deal, worth an initial £2.5m a year for the first two seasons and rising to £3.5m for the remaining term, to persuade him to stay at the Bernabéyou.

Robinho's camp has sent out mixed messages as to where his future lies. He himself suggested last week that he would be happy to remain in Spain, but his representative, Wagner Ribeiro, has publicly courted potential suitors. Real's coach, Bernd Schuster, has expressed a desire to retain him, particularly given the Spanish club's inability to prise Cristiano Ronaldo away from Manchester United, and welcomed him back to the team's training base in Austria this week after his recovery from a groin strain.

Scolari remains relaxed about whether the signing will go through as he considers a side against Lokomotiv today that will be indicative of the team to face Portsmouth in the first league game. "If we add player A, player B or player C, then great," he said. "But I have good players with quality already."

Chelsea may start with Andriy Shevchenko, after Milan conceded that they would not be able to take the Ukrainian back to San Siro this summer.

Scolari, aware of Roman Abramovich's desire for a certain style to go with success, said: "I am not contracted to play pretty but for Chelsea to win championships. If you play well and win championships, then great. This is the philosophy that the owner wants. There wasn't a situation that Roman said to me: 'We have to play beautiful.' He is very simple, calm, calm. He said, 'Do better for Chelsea.' That's it."

Guardian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is as it should be as well, winning has to come first. But you can tell from Scolari's style that the football will be more positive than we have been used to and with Deco's arrival we will see more creativity. Hopefully we can add Robinho because he is another who will add another dimention to our play. Conflicting reports this morning about him, some that he will accept a new deal from Madrid and others saying he will come as Ronaldo is close to moving to Madrid.

The way i see it and the way i hope it is also is that Robinho feels under-appreciated by Real Madrid and with the whole Ronaldo saga wants to leave and likes the idea of linking up with Scolari. I think Madrid are now holding out to see how much they can get - hopefully we can get this done and dusted before the start of the season.

Not a very flattering picture of Robinho

Looks like he's been taken by surprise after droping the soap :lol:

Anyway......this is another drama thats dragged on during the summer, I'm not too fussed if we get him or not. I feel we've enough attacking options atm to deal with the season ahead.

Not a very flattering picture of Robinho

Looks like he's been taken by surprise after droping the soap :lol:

Anyway......this is another drama thats dragged on during the summer, I'm not too fussed if we get him or not. I feel we've enough attacking options atm to deal with the season ahead.

lol Looks like someones taking him up the Arsenal.

Agree think we have enough attacking options to win the League this year....

I have every faith that FM15 will show his true qualities this season. Robinho would be a bonus to a squad more than capable of realistically winning two trophies, but as mentioned previously, we already have the necessary firepower and defensive mettle to win the league.

Guest Lampards Bitch

Glad sexy football is off the agenda. Proved it doesnt get you very far last year. Robhino would be a great addition to the team. I am much more confident about this season now since the arrival of Big Phil and other players.

Guest Lampards Bitch
When did we play sexy football last season? :unsure:

it was hardley clinical football at times :)

Wasn't clinical or sexy. We played well at times but the team didnt look happy with the jew. You can see that in this pre season the players look happy and already you can see only possitive things happening with Scolari replacing Grant. Nobody intends to play sexy football, it just depends how it looks on the pitch. How can sexy football be the agenda? lol it cant be. Man Utd and Liverpool hardly play sexy football. Arsenal think they play sexy football, great lot its done them since 2004....

In football you aint looking for sexy football. You get the ball and try and find the best passing option and the best and most effective way to score. Theres no 'sexy' way to do this lol. Arsenal just keep the ball in their own half. Yes passing is the best way to play but it aint sexy, its common basic sense, specially if your on 50k a week, you should know how to pass the ball to feet.

Guest Lampards Bitch
More Sunday League than sexy then? :D

LOL i guess so! but having said that some of the Sunday League teams around my area played better than Chelsea a couple of times last season lol